Cat pooping more? No diet change

firehawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. Happy holidays!

My 4 month old domestic short hair, who is growing, is seeming to poop more and bigger poop.
No diet change. He maybe eating a little more food than before but seems like he is pooping maybe 4 times a day.

It was about 2-3

Should I be worried?

They do seem full and not short or small balls or diarrhea.

Thoughts?

MAGICKCAT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi firehawk,

Have you checked over him? Is there any discharge coming out of either end? Is his nose moist and what about his eyes? Are they clear and alert? Is he responsive to touch and play? What about his mood? Does he seem ok or lethargic?
If he seems good all around, then it may just be him eating and growing.

My cats poop about 3 to 5 times a day, but they also eat 3 to 5 times a day. If you are really concerned, you
can always check with the vet, however.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firehawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking the time to respond 😊.

Everything checks positive from your questions and nothing odd or different. Just more pooping.

He meows a little when he is playing by himself sometimes but not in a worrying way. He plays normally and mood is normal.

As I write this... He just went in his litter box to pee. Lol

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A four-month old kitten is probably in his "growth spurt" phase. As a kitten grows, it's going to eat more and, as it eats, it's going to leave more deposits in the litter box.

Provided there isn't anything else wrong, I'd say that your kitten seems to be normal, so far.
You say that you haven't noticed anything wrong. What was the report from his last vet visit?
I assume it was normal. Yes?

So, if there isn't anything noticeably wrong and he's got a clean bill of health from the vet, I don't think there's much to worry about.

Certainly give your vet a call if you think so. Any good vet should be happy to give you five minutes on the phone. At minimum, they should be able to tell you whether to bring him in for a checkup. If they are unconcerned, it's safe to say that you don't have anything to worry about on this front.

My answer is that your kitten sounds mostly normal but it never hurts to give your vet a call if you want to. :)

firehawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate it! I just don't want to be "that guy" that calls for every little thing you know? The last visit was a month ago when he got neutered. All was fine then.

New behavior I noticed though is that when I clean out the kitty liter, he steps in it and starts his business. He never used to do that. The liter is cleaned on a frequent basis i.e I check it every hour or so.

just a new pet owner... trying to figure it out and be vigilant :)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...when I clean out the kitty liter, he steps in it and starts his business. ...
Normal... ;)

Cats mark territory by scent. What a better way to scent mark your territory than to leave a big, stinky "Pile O' Poo" right where everybody will know it? It's sometimes known as "middening."

When a male cat starts to grow up, his hormones will kick in. His instincts will tell him that it's time to start seeking his fortune, so to speak. He'll start doing things to mark out his territory, defending it from other cats and he'll start trying to court females. Scent marking by leaving little "calling cards" is one way of establishing territory and letting all the girl cats know that there's a new "man about town," if you know what I mean. ;) For other males, it means, "This is MY turf! Keep out or else!"

Every time he goes to the box and you clean it out, your cat thinks,"Aww! The human took my territory marker!" and he'll want to leave another to replace it.

It's actually a lot like the way (male) dogs pee on trees and leave poop where other dogs can find it. With cats, it's just a little more subtle. (Cats have more class! ;) )

With all that, you can probably guess what I'm going to say, next... It's good that you got him neutered when you did. :)

Four to six months is the best time to get male cats neutered. They probably could have done it at three months but some people debate whether to do it early while others say, "The earlier the better." The best solution is to a vet. Ask when they think is the best time then spend a little time to sit with yourself and decide.

Since your guy has already been snipped, he's all good on that front. :)

Personally, I think six months is a good time to neuter but I also think that it should be done earlier if you notice the cat displaying behaviors related to sexual maturity.

Last edited:

MAGICKCAT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LOL my cat steps into the litter to do his business whenever I clean it and don't close the bathroom door first. I don't know if he thinks he's helping to clean it or just thinking it's a good idea to get his turds of gratitude right then and there as I clean the litter. Either way, that's completely normal. He sounds adorable.

firehawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Normal... ;)

Cats mark territory by scent. What a better way to scent mark your territory than to leave a big, stinky "Pile O' Poo" right where everybody will know it? It's sometimes known as "middening."

When a male cat starts to grow up, his hormones will kick in. His instincts will tell him that it's time to start seeking his fortune, so to speak. He'll start doing things to mark out his territory, defending it from other cats and he'll start trying to court females. Scent marking by leaving little "calling cards" is one way of establishing territory and letting all the girl cats know that there's a new "man about town," if you know what I mean. ;) For other males, it means, "This is MY turf! Keep out or else!"

Every time he goes to the box and you clean it out, your cat thinks,"Aww! The human took my territory marker!" and he'll want to leave another to replace it.

It's actually a lot like the way (male) dogs pee on trees and leave poop where other dogs can find it. With cats, it's just a little more subtle. (Cats have more class! ;) )

With all that, you can probably guess what I'm going to say, next... It's good that you got him neutered when you did. :)

Four to six months is the best time to get male cats neutered. They probably could have done it at three months but some people debate whether to do it early while others say, "The earlier the better." The best solution is to a vet. Ask when they think is the best time then spend a little time to sit with yourself and decide.

Since your guy has already been snipped, he's all good on that front. :)

Personally, I think six months is a good time to neuter but I also think that it should be done earlier if you notice the cat displaying behaviors related to sexual maturity.

Thanks!

He got neutered last month