Cat pooping in same spot outside litter box

heavens7thstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats, 4 litter boxes. Haven't changed litter at all. My boy cat will only poop in one spot. On the floor next to the basement door. We have had the litter box there before and when he started pooping next to it, we moved it and it sropped for a few days and started back up. I bought a bigger box, didn't help, changed the amount of litter, didn't work, bought the sestressers you plug in the wall, didnt help, talked to the vet, no help... The only thing I can come up with it one of my girls isn't 100% keen with him. They can eat, sleep, play next to each other but as soon as he gets in her bubble, she hisses and swats. We didnt have this pooping issue until about 4 weeks ago. Any suggestions!???

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has he been checked by a vet ( not just you talking to the vet, an actual check up)? If this is a new problem that is the best place to start. How old is he? Have there been any changes in his life lately? How long have you had him and the girl he's not keen on?

Have you tried placing a box back where he is pooping now? What material is the floor- wood, carpet, tile? Have you tried adding more boxes ( not just bigger, more)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heavens7thstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have taken him to the vet three times to two vets but all they did was a regular exam. When he was a baby he had a bad parasite that took two prescriptions to get rid of. But he was retested and he is fine. We have had him since late august and he has been around both of my female cats since October. He only gets along with one. The other just tolerates him and leaves him alone unless he comes too close to her. He is almost a year old. Nothing major has changed in his life. We have tried putting the litter box back and he still goes outside the box. We have changed the boxes at least 3 times to see if he didnt like the placement. The material he goes on is linolium. The exact same as our kitchen and bathroom. We have another box in the bathroom that he doesnt use. He pees inside the boxes though.

gesseppe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My tomcat Tom did this and Anna Marie...  I put potting soil into the liter boxes, just a light handful sprinkled on top.  This has worked for me.  And the old area they pooped.  I use Windex window cleaner. seems to work great for ridding poo & pee and old scent stuff that gatos are keen on sniffing out.    Good luck, Gesseppe

heavens7thstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! Good idea. Im worried that my other two cats wont like it though. I could try it with just one of the boxes and see what happens. Windex is an interesting idea too. We have been useing enzyme cleaning spray. Nope doesnt work.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
My Lucy did this pooping outside the box routine her entire 17 year life. Her give -up paperwork at the shelter where we adopted her said "poss box prob" so I guess we were forewarned. We moved heaven and earth (though not literally - great idea with the top soil) and never resolved the issue. We finally gave up and just were glad she always used the bathroom floor and not the rug.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some cats prefer one box for pee & another for poop.  In your case, however, I don't see this as the problem if it just started.  It is very possible that your female is keeping him from using the box.  She may not be keeping him away from it; could be just the  tension between them that is making him fearful.  It takes a cat longer to poop than pee so this may be the reason for the difference.  I would find two places to put his litter boxes where he can see around all sides & not in an area where he can be cornered.  You didn't say whether your boxes are covered.  If so take the covers off immediately! Lastly, all cats are happier with unscented litter.

heavens7thstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions! Yes we use unscented all natural pine litter and have tried other litters but no success. They are not coverd. The clear all 4 sides is an awesome idea. ALso I believe Sophy is keeping him away by the tension. Thank you!