Cat pooping in dog water bowl, on carpet in the bathroom and on the floor in the bathroom

kd8fmx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have 2 cats 2 guinea Pigs, 4 dogs and a fish,

of my 2 cats  one has been acting unusual for the last month. first he started urinating beside the litter box. I assumed that this was becasue one of the cats missed the litter box and now the carpet had the odor. so I removed the carpet and replaced it with tile. now the cat moved from the litter box area to peeing in the dog food dish if the dog dish is empty and pooping in the dog water bowl. He has also started being very aloof. I love my cats and as often as they let me I play or pet according to their desires. Any Ideas on why or how to stop this behavior?

shellyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry but I had to laugh at this.  I know its a problem but I can just see your cat saying "take that you stupid dog!"  "Chase me and I pee in your water dish" 
  Your post doesn't say but are the dog's water and or food dishes near the litter box?  If so I would try to move them as far away as possible.  Then there can't be any confusion.  I am pretty sure that 2 of my cats wouldn't use a litter box that the dogs has access to. 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
With this being new behavior, when was the last time kitty went to the vet? Medical issues need to be ruled out first.

Also, were there any changes made that could have triggered the behavior (new animal, new litter, did someone move in/out, new furniture, etc...?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kd8fmx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There was a change in the litter, the food and water dishes are in a different room than the litter box. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kd8fmx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As far as vet is concerned. I have been unemployed for the last 8 months and am not able to afford a vet bill at this time.unemployment ran out over a month ago

shellyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have multiple animals like you do.  We have 3 cats and 2 dogs.  Not all of them get along.  We have a gate in our kitchen and some of the cats will venture over the gate into the dog's domain.  One will never.  The cats are fed in and their litter boxes are in the cat only area.  Luckily the dogs don't care if the cats come into their feeding area.  As well as most of them get along I think the cats need a "cat only" space that they feel safe in. 

Our one male cat use to pee in the bath tub.  To solve this I shut the bathroom door when not in use.  That stopped it.  When we find kitty pee or poop on the floor sometimes I think it's his.  I think he is just having a teenage cat moment.  Unless you changed the kitty litter to something really extreme I wouldn't worry about it. 

If you give your cats space to be safe and attention when they want it and their litter is clean I wouldn't worry about it.  Sometimes animals are messy and we have to clean up after them.  Their cuddles, purrs and tail wags more than make up for it.

Last edited: