Cat Pooping For Attention (to Get Food)

daveleau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 3 indoor only cats. They are all outgoing and get along relatively well despite one of the three being added to the house at age 8. The other two grew up together. None are hiders. All three hang out with us wherever we are. They sleep in the living room due to a mild cat allergy my wife has recently picked up that drives us to keeping our bedroom door closed.

Cid - calm grey/white 12 year old male. Neutered as young as vet recommended. He has always been closer to me. Got him as a 6 week old from a friend whose cat had a litter. Unassailable calmness. Plays often. Greets me when I come home from work. When self-feeding, he eats to satisfy and stops. Thin but healthy weight.

Ronald Reagan - calm black 12 year old male. Arrived at shelter neutered. Rescued him from a kill shelter when he was 8 years old. Very skiddish initially and we think his previous owners either abused or neglected him. Has come out of his shell and plays. Rarely seeks affection but truly enjoys affection. Never runs from us. Apparently was never self-fed and he is a stress eater. When we introduced him to the house with 2 other 8yo males, he was bullied for about 18 months. That has abated. Being a stress eater, his weight ballooned and he got Diabetes. We have switched his food to a high protein diet and his Diabetes was cured after 2 months of insulin shots. Healthy.

Vincent - mildly stressed 12 year old brown tabby male. Feral cat we found when he was about 3-4 weeks old. Cid is about 4 weeks older than Vincent. Neutered as young as vet recommended. Plays often. Very attached to my wife, but not in an unhealthy way. Cid and Vincent are like brothers. Very close relationship. Vincent has never had an issue with Reagan except when they both want to sit in the same spot next to my wife. No fighting. Self-fed without issue until recently. As we changed feeding routines (see below) to deal with Reagan's diabetes, Vincent gained weight due to his concern we were not going to feed him. Has always eaten too much as evidenced in his daily vomits consisting of food. These have ended since we changed the feeding process. He's always been bigger, but never obese.

The problem:
With Reagan's diabetes, we have had to change the way we feed our cats. We cannot leave high quality dry food out for them to eat when they desire. We have to give Reagan and Vincent high protein wet food, now. The vet recommended 2 cans per day per cat. We still feed Cid dry food in our bedroom. We let him in when he asks and he is content. Other cats are not allowed in bedroom because Vincent is the cat my wife is most allergic to and Reagan cannot have dry food. Reagan and Vincent beg for food. Reagan begs about an hour before dinner time. Vincent begs every single time we are walking in the house. We have supplemented Vincent's food with dry food to try and increase his satisfaction. He meows wildly for food even after we've just fed him if we are in the kitchen.

Recently, Vincent began pooping in the living room roughly 3 times per week. He perceives that his pooping will cause us to come to the living room and make multiple trips to the kitchen in the process of cleaning it up. Vincent associates our presence in the kitchen with him getting food. Vincent knows it is wrong, as he leaves the room (unusual behavior) when he thinks we will discover his poop present. Then, he goes to the kitchen to beg for food.

Any ideas on how to make Vincent happy while keeping both him and Reagan healthy?

We love and play with our cats often. We take them to the vet often. We have a sufficient number of clean litter boxes (4...# of cats plus 1) according to the vet. No health issues with any currently, as we take them to the vet frequently.

Thanks for your help!
Dave

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would be rare to the point of bizarre for your cat to be pooping to obtain food, they just don't think like that. THAT SAID, stress can cause that behavior, and since food resources, and the lack thereof, can be a major stressor, I can certainly see why it would look as if the behavior was intentional. And they are opportunists, one and all, so your presence in the kitchen would certainly cause him to beg for food. And the fact that he spent his young kittenhood as a feral (and thank you for taking on that job!) makes the sudden lack of a constant food supply even more stressful for him. Since you canNOT leave food out all the time anymore, you may have to resort to mild anti-anxiety medication for him, or if there is a good cat behaviorist in your area, they may have a solution that isn't coming to me at the moment.

You know, you might try giving Vincent chamomile tea. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and give him 1-3 teaspoonfuls, up to 3 times a day. It is mildly calming, and may do the trick. If he weighs over 8 pounds, I'd go ahead with the higher dosage. Be sure to use a commercial tea bag (coffee/tea aisle of the grocery store), as they are all German chamomile, which is medicinal, and is not toxic to cats. English chamomile, which is commonly grown in gardens here, is toxic to cats, and not worth much medicinally.

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mammy is right, they don't think like that. It's stress causing the pooping from the change in routine and feeding.

You can try this if you have time; make Vincent work for food. Try to teach him tricks and reward him with extra food. This might give him the idea he has more control over food and stop him stressing about never eating again. It will add something new for him to think about and give him some extra attention. The first trick I teach is the easiest, I point at a stool, snap my fingers and say Jump!.

I have had cats that LOVE to do tricks to for treats, and others that just looked at me like "You have got to be Kidding"

PS. Do not use Temptations for a reward. That will just add to your feeding problems. Try using his regular dry kibble.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

daveleau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vincent and Cid are both trained to do tricks. Really cool cats. Reagan's not, as we got him at 8yo.

I will say Vincent's poops are in very public places rather than in places suggesting mistakes. His two most frequent spots are in front of where we sit or on our seats in the living room. These are not places he hangs out, either. His place is on the end of one of the couches.

We'll try out the German chamomile tea. Thank you! He will likely lap it up, as he loves anything we throw at him. (We try to never give him human food, but he tracks us when we cook and sucks up anything we mistakenly drop if we're not quick enough.

daveleau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ha, no. Cid is after my college. Ronald Reagan is after the US president. Vincent is after a 1980s TV show Beauty and the Beast (wife's choice).

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had wondered if that's where poor Vincent's name came from. LOL, "poor" for his issues, NOT his name!

I will say Vincent's poops are in very public places rather than in places suggesting mistakes.
No, I don't think that they are mistakes, but rather expressions of anxiety, not deliberate manipulation. The answer, however, remains pretty much the same. You might also try using a puzzle feeder for Vincent. It will slow him down, and he might actually think he is eating more since he is eating longer.

daveleau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had not thought of puzzle eaters. That sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's where a large membership is so handy. Lots of minds with lots of ideas! Let me know if it works, so I can file it away for future reference!