Cat poop, why is this happening?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have freeze dried chicken. I can try that as a topper. She really likes it, but I have cut out all treats lately because when she eats the treats, she doesn't eat her food. Maybe if she associates the food with the treat taste, it will work. Good idea! I fed her meals through out the day. Lately, she has been free feeding her set amount of food she is allowed per day. But it is a struggle for her to make her food goal :/ Right now she can have 1/2 cup dry i/d with half can of wet (haha not a wet eater, or 3/4 cup of dry only. She's been eating at least a 1/2 cup, and maybe a 1/2 of the 1/4 cup all together.

Miss HATES syringes. She fights me tooth and nail, and it is way too stressful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She hasn't had an ultrasound-yet. We are treating symptomatically for the moment, because when her appetite problems started, her liver enzymes were over 500 after we did a senior panel (she's not a senior but it was the most complete panel.) Everything was normal except for that.

She had been on metronidazole for a long time, and the vet was thinking she might be having a reaction to it. He wanted to try taking her off of it to see if the enzymes would come down, thinking that her appetite *should* return once she was off of it. After stopping the met, her liver enzymes have almost come down to normal (only 18 points away right now) after 3 weeks. So we are thinking that started the appetite issue. She doesn't really sit like a meatloaf. Occasionally she sits like a sphynx and sleeps, but that's rare.

She mostly lays on her side or her absolute favorite, on her back with her feet in the air (this is a LOT of the time every day, she loves doing that). She doesn't *seem nauseous, but I don't really know? She does groom regularly after eating. 

Her problem has always been loose stools, with occasional blood, and vomiting when she has a flare. And since being on the i/d, knock on wood, the stools haven't been very loose at all, except for after taking the appetite stimulant.

------------------------------------------------------------

Also - has everything else already been ruled out? Have imaging diagnostics been done to rule out cancer? 
 Does she act nauseous? (Does she sit in the "meatloaf" position looking uncomfortable?). Is she grooming after meals / eating?

I ask, because when we first used the appetite stimulant with Lazlo, it helped. But when we added an anti-nausea medication, things REALLY changed for his appetite. We put him on pepcid a/c (famotidine, 10mg), AND cerenia. The Cerenia REALLY made the difference. 

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jen L,

I love your profile pic of your cat laying in the bathroom sink. my other cat that left us ( DC) used to do this too. I miss him. He was a hider and just loved tight places to sleep.

dejolane

Last edited: