Cat poop stains.

kismet7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This may sound like an odd question but how do I get my kitty to lick his butt after using his kitty litter.  Whenever he has lose stools or a piece of poop hanging he either leaves a stain or the piece of poop on my carpet or bed.  It's really annoying having to keep track of when he goes so I can watch if he had a loose stool or a solid one.  This doesn't happen much but it's extremely irritating.  I had another cat before this one and he never left any poop stains anywhere, at least not that I was aware of.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Part of it may be just figuring out why he has loose or solid poops that he can't quite get off. If you haven't yet, it may be worth taking him to a vet to see if they can find what may be causing his tummy upsets - probiotics or diet changes could address the issue of messy poops as a whole, helping him have cleaner poops. Poop getting stuck could be an anal gland issue where they aren't expressing when he poops, and that pressure is holding the poop back in.

As someone whose cat once left a poop smear on my pillow right beside my head (as well as scraped/scooted in niiiiice long lines across the floor and in poople squats on the carpets on multiple occasions), I can totally understand this frustration. In our case, the vet determined our little man was dehydrated and constipated (as a result of weak kidneys - we were afraid he still had nerve damage from an abscess several years back that caused him to just not feel the poop), and having trouble squeezing that last bit of poop out. If that happens, we have to hold him down and gently pull the poop out. If there are big pieces getting stuck to him, we really can't expect him to reach down with his mouth and pull out a giant piece of poop.

If there's just a bit of poop residue that he can get himself, I have a spray bottle of plain water (making it slightly warm would be nice) that I turn on the lightest mist and gently spritz some near the base of his tail. They'll usually feel it and go to lick the water off, and then just get to grooming while they're there. When you do this, you'll still have to watch him for a bit because there are some times where they won't care, and if you get water on the poop, it could exacerbate how much smears on your floors and such.