Cat poop frequency question

rociodp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that was diagnosed with anemia. Last week the blood panel showed its almost within normal range. The vets adviced we feed him chicken liver (cooked) as this is a great source of iron. We have been doing that for two weeks, twice a day. Like I said, it has worked. I have noticed that gradually the cat produces less poop and has also deceased his consumption of dry cat food. All this week, except yesterday, he pooped once (completely normal in shape, size and color) at around 9-10 pm. He still hasn't gone poop (it is now 8:34 am). Should I worry? Is it normal that they produce less poop when on this type of diet? Any suggestions? I'll call the vet later, but in the meantime would like some feedback with people experienced with cats

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be careful with liver - too much can cause vitamin A toxicity.

What else are you feeding with the cooked liver?

Complete raw diets can produce less poop in the litter box but I don't think liver alone would to the same thing.

Don't worry about the litter box. Your cat will poop when he's ready to go. Once a day is typical for most cats but sometimes if they don't go for a day, they'll just go earlier the next day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rociodp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The liver itself is mixed with chicken bits. Also, at least twice a week, some fish, and daily he has a bowl of dry cat food, namely Royal Canin Baby Cat (he's about 2 months old). Per recommendation of the vet, we have been feeding the liver twice a day. Never mentioned anything about vitamin A (I'll take this into consideration of course, and ask them if I need to still give him liver). Also, lately, we have added wet cat food to the mix, which we sometimes mix with the liver.