Cat Pooing On Doormat And Now Rugs And We Have A Toddler

CatPooHelp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I’m really hoping someone can help because otherwise I think we are going to have to try and rehome the cat which I really don’t want to do.

She was behaving fine until a couple of years ago we got a runner for our hallway, and then she started pooing and peeing on it. We tried everything, all manner of sprays and smells but nothing worked. We removed the rug but she then moved onto the doormat.

After that she stopped and resumed going in her litter tray.

We then even managed to stop her using her litter tray and to go outside (because of the baby).

However, we decided to be brave and to try having a door mat again but she immediately started pooing and peeing on it again.

This would all be fine, but when we removed the mat she then pooed on a rug in the sitting room and this is a big problem because this is where the baby plays.

The cat is fine health-wise.

At my wits end, any advice will be so much appreciated!

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you using the same door mat as the one that she pooped on before? Maybe it is not cleaned thoroughly. Cats have a very sensitive nose. Even if you can't smell it, she can. If it is completely cleaned, I would apply some pheromones on it, cuz cats don't like to poop or pee on a friendly pheromone surface. Plus feed her on that mat see how she reacts. Cats hate to poop on where she eats. At last, make sure she doesn't have any health issues like constipation??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatPooHelp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply!

It's a different doormat (actually tried several and the same thing happens). Can one just buy pheromones over the internet? I will look it up now. Very interesting idea about the eating and pooing - I've just purchased a cheap doormat and I've placed her evening portion of biscuits on it. If she's not peed or pooed on it by tomorrow then I'm going to need to buy you a box of chocolates or something!

She has no problems (stools are always normal) but she is a due a checkup so I will be taking her to the vet soon.

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can also play with her on the doormat too. If she refuses to eat or play, just try to do so close to the doormat. Eventually she will get the idea; she can't play and eat and poop at the same place. Yes , you can buy feliway pheromones at a pet store or even online. Just make sure that the doormat is completely clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatPooHelp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well she hasn't touched the doormat since I put the biscuits there - she has eaten from the biscuits. I also put a litter tray out which she did use for a wee but still pooed on the hearth rug, but it was quite a solid poo so left no residue after I'd cleaned it. If I use Feliway on the rug will it work? Am I right in thinking it's mainly the weeing that leaves an irreversible smell to the cat?

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pooping and peeing both leave a strong scent for the cat. If it is not thoroughly cleaned, she will do it again. Keep spraying pheromones, feeding her on the rug and doormat, and playing with her there as well. It will take a while for her to change her behavior, might be weeks and even a month. Stick to it.
I am also wondering if she prefers to poop on mat and rug fabrics. I know some cats like to eliminate on fabrics instead of litter. It is strange, but possible. Maybe you should also provide her a litter box with those fabrics in it, see if she does it.

By the way, have you gotten her checked out by a vet for health issues? Is her poop dried? If it forms small balls instead of a long poop (sort of like a small banana), that means she has constipation. And it could be painful for her to eliminate. Once she associates the pain with the litter, she would try to do it somewhere else and avoid using the box. That could be what happened here. She has no problems with peeing because it doesn't hurt, but pooping, not sure. Since she has positive experience (with no pain) on pooping on a rug once, she would prefer the rug.

Advice: make sure she doesn't have any health issues first, then apply the technique I mentioned above, and stick to it for at least 30 days.

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forgot to ask you. Does she only eat biscuits ? Does she drink regularly? A cat is supposed to drink at least 200ml of water per day. If she doesn't eat wet food, she will have to consume enough water separately. My cats eat wet food, raw food + dried food with extra water consumption, otherwise they have very dried poop.