Cat pooing everywhere

pcornall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I've got a bit of a problem as you can probably guess from the post title. We have two cats now, both female - one we've had for years who is around 8/9 and one we adopted about 2-3 months ago who is about 2. They are both house cats as one is deaf and the younger one has sight problems. The younger one we were told at the shelter had problems peeing in her litter tray.

Anyway, we've had no problems with inappropriate peeing or pooing since getting her until the last week. She has started using her litter tray only occassionally to poo and pee and the rest of the time she will run around the apartment pooing once or twice a day. She has also started peeing in various places. I'm not too concerned about the peeing so much as I know what to do in terms of getting a uv light and some proper cleaner and she only seems to do this in a limited number of locations. I also have been using cat attract litter to encourage her to use her tray. We have 3 trays put out and she seems to use them all, but also does this extra pooing and peeing. However, the pooing problem is getting so bad it is driving my wife and I to tears. We came home today to find poo over one side of the sofa.

The cat doesn't seem to be in any pain or distress and there haven't been any big changes to her routine or environment. The other cat is behaving the same as always too. We are stumped as to what has caused this sudden change and how to solve it. If we can't find a solution we are wondering whether we will have to give her back to the shelter because we seem to spend most of our free time cleaning up cat poo/urine and the apartment continually smells of cat poo. Can anyone help?!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has she been spayed? There could also be a health problem. My Patch gets UTI's all the time, and he will urinate on the floor. we are now battling Cystitis and I noticed that he would also leave poo around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pcornall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply - yes, she was spayed when we got her. I guess if it continues we'll just have to take a trip down to the vets to get her checked out for any infections. It is just so weird how it has suddenly started happening and she quite happily leaves trails of poo(!).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't wait for it to continue… get her in to see the vet this week. The longer you wait and put off a vet visit the worse a health issue gets. On top of that what may have started as litter box avoidance due to pain then becomes a habit.
If you just give her back to the shelter they may or may not treat her, and instead assume it was solely stress/dominace based.

As for displaying symptoms, cats hide them very well. In this case peeing and pooping is the symptom that something is wrong.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just as a side note, Natures Miracle or one of the other enzyme cleaners also takes out the smell of cat poo.