Cat Poo Problems

aimz399

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone :)

My husband and I have 2 cats. A male (neutered) who is 2 and a female (neutered) who is 4. Both cats get on well, they play together, eat together and sleep together.

Our female cat approximately a year a go started to poo on the floor intermittently, no rhyme or reason. Fresh tray or dirty tray, then the next day would go back to the tray. This has progressed to her not using the tray at all for number 2s. She always wees in the tray.

She has had multiple vet check for this and nothing has been found. We have 4 litter trays in different rooms of the house, none in a high traffic area. 2 different types of litter, one covered, one with high walls and an empty one as well.

She will always move from where she is to the kitchen or bathroom floor to go for a poo.

We have feliway in the house. Trays are cleared of mess twice a day and cleaned out weekly.

We use biological washing powder solution to clean the floor where she goes.

Please help! Is there anything else we can do??

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have at least 3 trays?  Are they in different areas?  Is your female the less dominant of the two cats?  Does the male bully her or try to play with her when she would rather not play?  If she is in a room of her own, without the male allowed in, will she then use the litter tray to poo?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aimz399

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Red Top Rescue - We have 4 litter trays all in different areas of the house. She is the more dominant, she will always instigate and end play, he is very docile and submissive. She always heads for the areas she likes to poo, even when the male is no where to be seen she will still go on the floor.

missprincess92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you thought about changing litter? Is there a brand you stick too? She may not like the litter you've bought.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aimz399

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 2 different types of litter in the trays, we have tried different brands including the one she had before the pooing issue started. She has plenty of choice of litter and trays but chooses to use the floor

missprincess92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my own experience, my cats hate anything with fragrance. It's rough on the nose. I don't know if you use them. Has the vet giving any advice?