Cat playing too roughly with kitten

Aya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

We recently welcomed a three-month-old kitten into our home to keep our one-year-old cat company. Our older cat is deaf and can be a bit rough when playing.

Surprisingly, our older cat accepted the kitten quickly, and they seem to enjoy each other's company. However, I have noticed that sometimes he plays too roughly with her, pinning her to the ground and lightly bunny kicking her. Even though there are no signs of aggression like flattened ears or hissing, I worry that he doesn't know when to stop when the kitten squeaks.

I always intervene and separate them when things get too rough, and thankfully, the kitten has never been injured. But I fear that things could escalate when we're not around or if I'm not quick enough to step in.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation? Any advice on how to train our older cat to be more gentle with the kitten would be greatly appreciated.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your kitten is at that age where an older cat seems to have a built-in "do not injure" button, so you are PROBABLY ok. The fact that he is deaf, however, is a little bit of a concern. As for his play, it actually isn't "too" rough. Your kitten would be playing the same way with siblings, and with mama at this age.

Try taking a VERY deep breath, and expanding what you are allowing, a little bit at a time...see where your cat's natural boundaries are. But do be prepared to intervene if necessary, just not quite so quickly.

I really don't know of any reliable way to train a cat not to be a cat...this is how they play. Sometimes with sound effects that seem like WWIII! ALL play in cats is practice for hunting. And your cat may pick up on visual cues from your kitten, given a chance. Laid back ears, etc. Watch closely, and see if this happens.

I SO wish I had better advice on this one. I know how worried you are about the kitten, and the cat accidentally hurting her.