Cat play

stubbychester

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 year old cat, Nellie, and a 3 month old kitten, Fred.  Fred is a very active kitten and Nellie is a laid back sorta cat.  When they play Nellie mouths Fred all over.  Im sure its just play, cuz Nellie could hurt him if he wanted.  Is this normal.  Eventually Fred gives up, lays on his back and begs for mercy.  Nellie is indoors recovering from an injury and Fred is an outdoor cat soon to be barn cat.  Im just wondering if this is a normal behavior when cats play.  Ive had two cats before, one older and one younger and never seen this behavior.  Any advice?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Do you mean she 'play-bites' him?  It sounds like they're just sorting out their play.

They'll miss each other when he goes to the barn.. he sounds like he's very domesticated..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stubbychester

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well Nellie is a barn cat also, but is recovering from an injury so Im keeping him indoors.  Once a day, I let the kitten in for them to play.  Eventually they will both be outdoors and indoors only when I want.  So Nellie I guess you would call it play biting.  Putting his mouth completely around the kittens head, throat and such.  But no punctures, just play.  Neither hisses or meows, just tumble around with the kitten between Nellies paws.  I do have the vets approval for kitten play. And play time is usually 5 minutes maybe.  Nellie tore his ACL and we are hoping for healing so surgery wont have to be done.  Ok, I guess its what they do.  Thanks for the reply.