Cat Pimple, Whitehead, Cyst, Sore

tlco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Look like a pimple do not pop it, put neosporin on it...won't hurther if licks it off. Get vet app as soon as you can. Do you use glass, meter or plastic feeding bowels? If plastic stop using then they"soak up" food in the pours of the plastic which grow bacteria and can cause "cat acne" or other lip sores. Could also be ingrown hair....good luck

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Look like a pimple do not pop it, put neosporin on it...won't hurther if licks it off.
Use only regular Neosporin or other triple antiobiotic oinment, never the kind that has pain medicine included. The pain medicine is harmful to a cat.

Since the sore thing is right at the mouth and easily licked by a cat, I personally wouldn't use any kind of ointment unless prescribed or recommended by a vet.

How often does your cat get the mouth sores? Have you ever taken the cat to the vet to be seen for the sores?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iloveyoubree

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About every 4 months. Vet has said that she has allergies. To literally everything. This one looks like a pimple not really a sore. She also throws up her food sometimes. They think it's asthma. Apparently these aren't painful and she's a happy little girl. Only a year old, she was a feral kitten.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This looks most like a rodent ulcer to me. Definitely get her to a vet - this isn't something you can treat at home. Definitely do NOT pop it - that could spread the infection into her mouth. Whilst its not the same as feline acne, the prevention tips in this article may be useful:- [article="29983"][/article]

If the vet suspects allergies, then you need to try and pinpoint the triggers/allergens. Do remember that cats are very good at hiding pain - even if she's acting normally, a sore like that has to hurt. [article="31683"][/article]

Has she been tested for FIV, FeLV and Feline Herpes Virus? These are all far more likely in ferals/ex ferals, and any of these could at least partially explain why she's so prone to these sores, as they all lower the immune system. [article="29713"][/article][article="29711"][/article][article="22329"][/article]

It might be worth seeking a second opinion from another vet - I find it slightly worrying that your vet isn't more concerned about this issue. If it is 'just' allergies, then a hypoallergenic/limited ingredient/novel protein diet could help, but you need to be sure of what you're dealing with first.

I hope you get some answers soon :vibes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

iloveyoubree

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has been tested for them all. She doesn't have them. She is on a limited diet due to my other cat having an allergy to chicken, fish, tuna and so on. The doctor did call it likely a rodent ulcer which are painless. She said a corse of steroids should do the trick!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Asthma wouldn't cause vomiting or a mouth sore, just coughing and sometimes a bit of raspy breathing.

I'm not familiar with rodent sores but steroids usually works to clear it up.