Cat Petrified At Vets

EKA482

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I have a four year old indoor male British shorthair neuter. He has always been fine at the vets in fact he was a dream. However the last two vets vists one in November and the other last week he has been very aggressive with the vet and me. The first time it happened it was so out of character I kind of thought it was just a one off but when he did it last week I was very concerned. The vet ended up badly scratched and we had to use a towel to try and first of all cover his head to calm him but then to try and hold him while he had an injection. (All of which has probably ended up making him more scared). I don’t know what we can do next time as I’m concerned that the vet may eventually refuse to see him. At home he is not like this, he can occasionally be a bit grumpy but we just leave him to sulk. Thing is he still gets in his car carrier fine and travels in the car with no issues, and sits in the waiting room ok, it’s just as soon as he gets in the consulting room. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ( nothing has happened at the vets on previous visits that could have spooked him) thank you.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our cat JC also gets aggressive at the vet's office. She growls and hisses and has attacked both the vet and my husband while there. It usually takes at least 2 people to restrain her. Sometimes the vet can do what needs to be done by wrapping her in a towel to restrain her but sometimes she has to be sedated, which I don't like at all because I worry she won't come out of it. I hate having to take her to the vet because it is so stressful for her and I'm worried about her getting hurt, as well as the vet or others getting hurt. Unfortunately, she is hyperthyroid and has to go every 6 months for blood work. What I've done is to keep her in her carrier until the vet is ready to see her and if she has to have blood drawn we handle her as little as possible beforehand. Then I put her back in the carrier right away.

She hates to be inspected, even at home. Trimming her claws takes multiple tries because she fights it so hard.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is very unlikely that a vet would refuse to see your cat tbh - they'd just call in a nurse to help with anything that needed to be done, quickly wrap him in a towel, and do whatever needed to be done for the appointment (vaccinations, tests etc).

Vets regularly treat feral cats that have been trapped and brought in for treatment - they aren't going to refuse to treat a scared pet, even if he does get his claws out due to fear.

EDIT: I should add that our Radar was always really really good in a carrier, would even go into the carrier when we said "get in!" After a couple of weeks of back and forth to the vets, he HATES it and shredded the outer bits of dead keratin off his front claws trying to punch his way out through the door when we had to transport him on Monday. They can change their mind about whether going in the carrier/being in a car/seeing the vet is ok or the most horrendous thing ever without much provocation.

Last edited:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats tried his hardest to commit murder and maim last week, but they handled him well with two towels and all the screaming and thrashing. Get gets blood work annually because he's on prozac, and he hates needles. When I took him for his first vaccinations as an older teen (dude was 10 months), it took three of us and he bit me 2-3 times in the face.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I'm wondering why your vet didn't call in an assistant? Was it the same vet both times? Also, was that vet the same one as previous to your boy getting so upset?
I'm wondering, in your case, how your cat would react to a different veterinarian. Hang in there - this is rough but at least you still have a feline who's amenable to all the rest of it. Keeping my fingers crossed that doesn't change !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EKA482

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. It was the same vet both times he’s been aggressive, which is probably typical as it’s the vet I prefer! This is a male vet and he’s been fine with the other male vet and the female vet was fine too. Maybe it would be a good idea to ask for a different vet. Thank you for your reply