cat pees with butt hanging out of box

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my snick has arthritis and is long in the body. she prefers a covered litter box. she'll be 14 years old in august.

i was having the same thing happen with my snick until i placed the lid to a long under the bed type plastic storage bin under her litter box. now when snick (very occasionally) pees over the edge of her litter box it just collects on the upside down lid underneath the litter box. i still need to clean it up, but the urine is not on my flooring and it's not a big deal for me to clean up. i just wipe with scented baby wipes the underside of her litter box, then use paper towels to get the urine up off the lid/mat and wipe that with the scented baby wipes too. the litter box and litter mat get placed on the upside down lid/mat again......and that's it. every so often i'll take the lid/mat outdoors and spray it with simple green (which does not react to pet urine), then rinse off well with water and let it dry.

if you needed to, you could use the upside down plastic storage bin lid underneath the litter box and leave room at the front of the lid/mat to place a puppy pee pad.

tabbypip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been doing this as well. I replaced his litter boxes with high sided ones, then he started hanging his butt out the entrance. A friend suggested the following solution. I got a narrow pencil tray and filled it with litter. I put it on the floor under the entrance. I have a plastic drop cloth lining the floor under them and a puppy pad on top of that just in case. While shopping for the little trough, I spotted what looked to me like little kitty steps! You are supposed to use them to display spices on your counter. I covered them with the plastic (thank God 'cause they got wet) and they fit over the trough perfectly so it is barely visible. So far, so good. It has made it manageable and it doesn't smell up the house.

SeaAnita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 18 year old cat just started doing this....going in the box, but sticking her butt out the opening. I had to remove the door, since she is too close for it to swing closed...figured it might have been hindering her, but nope. She still does it. The box is plenty big (and high) for her to turn around. It's very frustrating!

I guess I'll have to purchase some pet pads and put in front of the opening...a mat doesn't work since she goes many times a day (I would be doing laundry full time!).

I love her, but I'm at wit's end! There's no convenient out-of-the-way place to put her litter box, so it's in my home office. It's starting to be hard to keep it from smelling of her urine (even though I spray every time she goes).