Cat pees in carrier (not your usual case)

earlylavender

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so this particular thing happened twice already and I came to write this after washing out the cat carrier and the piece of wall her pee managed to fly out of the carrier's holes...

Cat pees/marks inside her carrier when it's just outside for the sake of her just getting used to it it being around and for her not associating it being a vehicle that takes her to scary places. Although she did poo inside during the latest vet visit, she didn't piss inside. I left the carrier out so she can go hang out there and since our next vet appointment is 2 weeks away, I thought it's better to just keep it around. She did go to hang out there after a couple of days with no issue.

Then today I noticed the towels that I left inside to line the bottom of the carrier were dug up, which made me suspicious and sure enough the whiff of cat urine soon hit my nostrils too. She didn't piss on the towels but more like marked through the holes and some of the urine drippled down onto the towel. She anyway has this habit that she pees standing up in the litterbox too (we have a covered one so she has plenty of wall to piss onto). Or could be she started out in normal peeing position and the end of it came out standing up, I don't know... Last time about half a year ago the same thing happened.

I am confused as to what causes her to behave like this, she goes on weeks just fine in the carrier while it's left outside, then at some point she pisses in there. This time it hit the wall too so I'm actually quite upset about that as we would want to keep the house in good condition for future sale. After the first accident I cleaned the carrier with enzymatic cleaner and so did now. I think I have to put the carrier away again after this...

Not sure if she's experiencing stress or if she's becoming senile and thinks that's a litterbox. She otherwise doesn't urinate there when we're on the way somewhere, the pooing was a result of either extreme need or being scared of the shaking bus, not sure about that either.

Is this familiar to any of you? Any ideas what's the reason behind this?