Cat Pees In Bed Out Of Protest

sungurl812

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Siamese boy is neutered 2 1/2 years old and the runt of the litter kind of small. Just alone this year he's protested 3 times about not being able to go outside when I'm not home. When he decides to protest he pees close to my side of the bed and not the boyfriends'. Ever since I got him when he was 3 months old he's never had this issue of protesting until last year. The boyfriend and I tend to travel from time to time in the state and when we are gone longer than 2 days we have a pet sitter to come and check up on the cats. Is there a way to control this behavior? I've never had a cat do this once growing up and they would go outside too. He's a trouble maker for a runt Siamese. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying not to lose my cool, but this is getting way out of hand. ) :

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi S sungurl812 Welcome to TCS.

He's not doing it as a protest. The most common reason for peeing out of the litter box is a urinary tract infection. Male cats are particularly prone to UTIs and peeing on something soft, such as bedding or carpet, is a sign that they are experiencing pain when they urinate.

Please get a vet to check your cat over. UTIs are very painful and can be fatal if untreated.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He isn't doing it out of protest but he may be doing it out of stress. Lord knows my part siamese punk is glued to my side .... and rarely accepts affection from others! He may miss you/his security.

Rather than try 100 things, if the vet gives him the all clear fir UTIs .... why not buy a waterproof mattress pad, a cheap towel & a spare litter box? Put the towel, the litter box on your bed before you leave? That way if he MUST pee on your bed and on fabric, it is on a towel you can wash or throw away? You also need to deep clean your mattress/bedding with an enzyme cleaner. For good luck I might even try a feliway diffuser.

Lastly the other cats may be stressed by your absence and pick on him ... which stresses him/makes him feel insecure... so he graffitis his name all over the most important spot in the house?

:goodluck:I hope one of these articles, helps::hangin:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Anti-anxiety Medication For Cats
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was having a kind of similar issue with my cat. Except it's not that he would pee in the house, he just would not go at all until i let him outside. It was a problem because he's not allowed outside after evening. So he was holding it in until he was allowed outside the next day! The thing that worked a miracle for me was Dr Elsey's Cat attract litter. He would not use the litter box no matter what (and he used to use it just fine before i started letting him outdoors) and as soon as i put this litter in the pan i was amazed that he used it right away! And he's been using the litter box normal since. I really recommend it. It has good reviews. It was my last hope after hearing about it from someone on this site and it really worked! I'm not sure if it would solve your issue but it's worth a try!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sungurl812

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually he ends up picking on the 2 older cats (11&12) since they've been mean to him since he was a kitten. I am going to look into getting a pee pad from the store and putting it under the sheets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sungurl812

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat actually doesn't have a UTI. The veterinary doctor says it is out of protest since he's more of an outside cat and that's where he goes to the bathroom the most. Ever since we switched over to a new healthy natural pine litter, it seems that's what's causing the issue. He rarely uses the litter box anyways, unless we are home, and he is inside. Only the older 2 stress the most. My cat on the other hand doesn't stress much at all, he only does if there are new people in the house he doesn't know.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like cat attract litter is the way to go. I went unscented on my litter choice because cats have very sensitive noses... just like dogs! Imagine how strong that pine smells to him and how he hates it covering up his "wonderful" smell (that marks this place as his!)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Ever since we switched over to a new healthy natural pine litter, it seems that's what's causing the issue.
That's the answer then! You could try taking some of the dirt from outside, where he usually pees, and putting that in the litter box over his regular cat litter.

My cats don't like the pine chip litter either, the unscented stuff suits them better.

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried the pine pellet litter before also but my cat hated it. He wouldn't use. Some cats are very particular about their litter! He loves the litter I'm using now so I'm going to stick with it.