Cat pees and poops everywhere

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
See if you can find out if the kitten has been neutered/spayed yet. If not, that could make a difference, assuming the owners plan on doing so. It will be nearly impossible for you to find out if this kitten pees inappropriately, but that could be another issue. If there is a common hallway that they use to get downstairs, perhaps they are letting the kitten roam? Maybe make friends with them, and see what you can find out?

The only other thing I know to do is get an air purifier for any smells possibly creeping into your apartment and use the cat music - or other noises that are amenable to her - to reduce any mews, or rambunctious play, coming from the kitten that she might be able to hear, since cats' hearing is so much better than ours. At night, something like a heartbeat toy or ticking clock might be something to get her used to, which might just be enough to 'drown out' whatever it is she could be hearing.

It may be that she will eventually adapt to whatever it is she is aware of now. Otherwise, I have absolutely no suggestions. With any luck some other members who have dealt with something similar will come along and tell you how they handle it. However, continue to work on other probable sources anyway - it could be pure coincidence.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While it won’t solve anxiety issues, I’m mentioning Dr. Elsey's again, purely because behaviors can become habits. Sometimes cats start having issues not using the litter box for one reason, but continue because it becomes a habit.

I had an older cat who was redirected to her litter box using the Dr. E additive. And, now I’ve got a litter of seven kittens who were all directed to the litter box with the first application. It’s like magic! And, it’s so nice to not have a sticky floor.

Personally, I wouldn’t medicate for anxiety without trying everything else. Just my .02. 🙂 I hope you’re able to crack the pattern of behavior and get this sorted quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ko98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
During the past couple weeks I have noticed that I can hear it running upstairs sometimes. Would my cat be able to tell that the footsteps came from another cat? I'm pretty sure they're not letting it roam. It really wouldn't be safe in this building since the only common space is a stairwell that leads directly outside. An air purifier sounds like a good idea to help with smells coming in.

We use Dr Elsey's cat attract litter. Would the additive be helpful on top of that?

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We use Dr Elsey's cat attract litter. Would the additive be helpful on top of that?
In my experience it is the additive that is effective moreso than the litter itself. And, the additive can be used with any non-scented, baking soda-free litter, so you could use it with whatever litter your cat likes best. (I am using it now with Fresh Step multi-cat, which is what I had and they were used to. Fresh Step unscented is one of the hard-to-find litters right now! I am just leaving the bag open to let the scent dissipate. The kittens rush to the litter boxes after they're clean and have a sprinkle of the additive added.)

ko98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay I'll try getting the additive.

Also she pooped in a new place overnight...

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
During the past couple weeks I have noticed that I can hear it running upstairs sometimes. Would my cat be able to tell that the footsteps came from another cat? I'm pretty sure they're not letting it roam. It really wouldn't be safe in this building since the only common space is a stairwell that leads directly outside. An air purifier sounds like a good idea to help with smells coming in.

No doubt she is fully aware of the other cats pressance. Cats have a 14 times better sense of smell than people. If you know another cat is there she knew long before.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would it help to put a small litter box (even just a disposable liner) where she is pooping? You could slowly move it to where you'd prefer it to be. I don't remember--does she have two litter boxes? Sometimes adding a litter box helps.

Just spitballing. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.

ko98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would it help to put a small litter box (even just a disposable liner) where she is pooping? You could slowly move it to where you'd prefer it to be. I don't remember--does she have two litter boxes? Sometimes adding a litter box helps.

Just spitballing. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.
She has three boxes all in different rooms and there are a lot of different places she poops on the floor.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Aside from the efforts placed toward the litter box and litter, what else are you doing? Have you met or talked to the neighbors with the kitten, looked into air purifiers, and/or tried cat music to help drown out any noises she can hear from the kitten? I honestly don't think this is going to get resolved by a change in litter or litter boxes.