Cat Peeing Problem

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, it's been a while. We have a slight problem that we need some advice regarding.

Our youngest british shorthair, Ludatsi, on rare occasion will pee outside the litter box. Not spraying, full bladder peeing. When she does so, it tends to be on my chair or where I sit on the sofa, although she has also peed on top of a plastic bin and on my wife's side of the bed. She doesn't do it often, usually only when stressed.

This last week, she peed on top of the bin again and just now peed on the sofa where I sit. We've got it soaking in enzyme cleaner and we take great care to clean it up each time.

She is prone to bladder infections but she's not got one now, and her behavior when she has an infection is different and consistent (she visits the litter box frequently instead, and if she does go outside of it it's a little spot on the floor or where she's sleeping, not a full bladder on something else).

Two weeks or so ago we took in a stray kitten. He's quarantined in the cat room right now with coccidia but he's very social and doesn't like being in there alone (we try and visit and play with him frequently) and so he cries because he's shut up. We think she may be stressed because of his crying. However, she also only seems to do this when I'm menstruating (which is very rare) and as she tends to do it in the places I sit so I'm wondering if she might not be reacting to my crazy hormones during those periods as well (she doesn't do it when my wife is menstruating which is far more regularly).

I'm just spitballing here. I'm going to stop tonight and get some feliway diffusers to see if that helps but any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The timing makes me suspect she's stressed or territorial over the new kitten in her home. The Feliway might help. I've never used it, but have seen posts where it has helped. I believe there 2 types of Feliway now, and one works better than the other, so you might want to read reviews before you buy.

Another idea is calming treats.

You may have already read these, but I'll post the links to some TCS articles that might be helpful.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I may look for the calming treats as well, and I'll definitely check to see that I'm getting the 'right' feliway.

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm seeing a lot of reviews that the Feliway diffusers are a fire hazard? Apparently they're prone to melting and overheating. Anyone here have experience with that? I'm thinking I'm going to skip the diffusers due to this and just get the spray.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you! I may look for the calming treats as well, and I'll definitely check to see that I'm getting the 'right' feliway.
There are two versions of Feliway. One is the original or “classic,” I think they’re calling it, and that’s for stress reduction. The other is for aggression in multicat households. I’ve used both and found them to be effective with my cats. I know others have used it with their cats and it didn’t help. It’s one of those things, like catnip, that doesn’t work for all cats!

The other thing with Feliway is that there are some knock offs on the market. Be sure you get the one that actually says Feliway on it not just Comfort Zone with no mention of Feliway anywhere. The latter is not quite as effective.

I don’t think it’s impossible that Ludatsi is reacting to your hormones, though. Many years ago, my dad was diagnosed with cancer and died three months later. It was an incredibly stressful time. I also was having some female-related health issues as well. Max turned into a different cat and began to stalk and attack one of my other cats. I mean like a deranged homicidal maniac. He was scary. They had always been buddies, and if anything, she was the one who thought it was fun to chase him. He even attacked me once. We had to keep the two cats separated for several months. My dad died, my own stress level and health issues cleared up, and Max was suddenly fine. It never happened again, and he lived nine more years. I will always believe he was reacting either to my off-the-chart stress or wacky hormones.

It’s probably the new kitty...but maybe Ludatsi can sense something off about your cycles.

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. Have you had any bad experiences with the feliway diffuser being a fire hazard?

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, thank you. I might get a diffuser too and just make sure to keep an eye on it/unplug it at night.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Ok, thank you. I might get a diffuser too and just make sure to keep an eye on it/unplug it at night.
I’ve read all of those fire hazard reviews, too, and it made me nervous. But I really needed the Feliway—both kinds—when I adopted a new kitty last fall and the two resident cats were unhappy. I just periodically touched the diffusers to make sure they weren’t unusually hot.