Cat peeing outside of litter box

arianna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5-year-old short haired tabby cat, who has been peeing outside his litter box. I am not sure when this started, maybe earlier this year. It would be very random, one day out of the week he would pee either near the front door or near my window door balcony. He eats and poops normally, just would randomly pee outside the box. He has been neutered ever since I got him 5 years ago. He also throws up randomly, one day he threw up 8 times but then went back to acting normal. I am not sure if it was due to him eating too fast and then playing with my other cat. The other cat, which is a long haired cat, has more of an alpha attitude, he always pushes my short haired away from his food and always wins during their play fights. I first thought it might have been territorial so I got two litter boxes, but even then he would still pee near my two doors. Yesterday night, I actually witness him peeing, and I notice he was peeing standing up. Usually when he pees in the litter box he squats and pee. I made an appointment to take him to the VET as this peeing thing has beeing going on for too long. What could be causing this? I am currently a student graduate and do not have a job, so I hope the vet bills won't be too much.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to alarm you as my case was slightly different, but my male cat, started getting constipated and could only poop outside the box, mostly inside the tub, and when really in a bind would come to me and push and try and poop out on the floor, he strained so bad that the litter hurt his paws.  He was constantly throwing up and it wasn't hairballs.  

He ended up having terminal cancer, that was when he was 12 years old.  When he was 5 years, he had developed struvite crystals which caused him to pee outside the box, but then it was clear he was in pain, unlike the cancer he went along with business as usual, as far as play, eating etc.

Now with that said, I'm not saying this is your case.  However, do you notice any lumps on his body, around his jaw, neck, legs, belly etc.

The above is all worst case scenario's.

Okay here are a few least worrisome reasons - have you changed his food or times of feeding?  Was the short haired cat there first then you adopted the long hair?  How bad is the long haired alpha intimidating your short haired?  If he's getting pushed away from his food, he's finding no peace and he could be suffering anxiety and being that his feeding time has turned into a nerve wracking experience, this could be causing this.  

Can you feed him in private so he won't be aggravated?

If you're on a budget, be honest with your vet when he starts the exam and tell him you need to start ruling out ailments in a safe but cost effected manner.  

My old vet, would run many different tests, some that had nothing to do with the issue at hand, but my new vet will examine based on the current problem.

May I ask the names of your two fur balls?

Please keep us posted.  I'll be thinking about you and your wee one.  Best to you...

I'm glad he's scheduled for the vets.  I'm sure a more experienced member will chime in with better advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arianna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update!

My short haired is called Ziggy and my long haired is called Bruno. I had the short haired first and then adopted the long haired 2 years later. I took him to the Vet today as I noticed he peed near my door again but this time, I noticed dried blood. He was still acting normal and didn't seem like he was in pain. The doctor told me he had bladder stones, and offered to do X-ray or a Urinalysis. I choose the Xray option and that's where he saw the stones in his bladder. He then told me I had to change his diet or if I wanted to I can do the urinalysis to identify exactly what type of stone he had. We ended up doing surgery an hour later to remove the stones and I am now just waiting back to see what type of stones he has.

I do have a concern about what you said, he does have a lump near his "armpit" area. I first I thought it was saggy skin, but it is only in that one arm and not the other. I squeezed it and its squishy and he doesn't seem to notice it, I mentioned it to the doctor and he told me it was a fatty tumor. I have a followup on Tuesday, and I will mention it again.

Ziggy keeps walking around and doesn't seem to want to stay in one area. He's peed a couple of times (not in the litter box, but very little amount and its bloody. He has no appetite and doesn't want to be left alone. Which is weird because he is known to be anti-social. Hes also taken off his cone numeorus times, I had to tape it together.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm glad I mentioned the above.  I was worried that I was going to worry you unnecessarily.

Yes, mention the lumps to your doctor at the follow up visit.

I started keeping a notebooks on my cats when they get sick, or write on a calendar, behavior, medications taken-if any, food and bathroom.

It helps when talking to the doctors.

My boys lump didn't bother him to the touch, it hurt more internally after it became infected.

If he's got stones or crystals you can expect him to go on a special diet.  if he's not eating now, it's no good.  Can you call your vet tomorrow and see if you can entice Ziggy with some chicken, ham or turkey gerber baby food (no other ingredients).  

What kind of food is he eating now?

I'm glad they got to the bottom of it.

Sweet Ziggy is probably exhausted of his ordeal and wants his mommy around and nearby.  My boy Simon laid by my side or on my handbag, he wouldn't let me out of his sight.

I would say, keep him calm and enjoy this new found affection because when he's better, he'll be off and playing. LOL

I suggest you definitely call the vet about his lack of food and what exactly you should be feeding him.  

That's key right now...

Please keep me up to date.  Best to you, Ziggy and Bruno

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Poor Ziggy, poor you!  I am sure that he feels
lousy about now (I have kidney and bladder problems myself and can personally attest to the misery) and your affection will help him deal with the pain and other discomforts. You might try consulting a holistic vet and seek their advice about using soothing herbs such as marshmallow root and slippery elm bark - sometimes they can be used conjointly with antibiotics and other western medicines. thank you for the pic of Ziggy - what a gorgeous "paint job"

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers for healing for Ziggy & blessings for all in your household ~ Susan