Cat peeing outside litter box

veganeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our 8 year old cat suddenly began peeing outside the box a few weeks ago. We moved in August and went from using 2 boxes to 1 (but we have two cats). At first I thought he might be ill but as soon as we put the second litter box out it stopped - great! But now 3 weeks later he has peed AND pooped outside the little box again. I’m at a loss. I think a vet visit is warranted now but feel like it’s behavioural since it stopp/started. Anyone ever experience this?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have a lot of possible reasons. The move could have started the whole issue. Giving back a second box could have disguised the real problem, as it was more like what he was used to before the move. For the time that he was once again going in the litter box(es) could you tell if he was using both? Is the second litter box different from the first one, or the original two? How many times has he peed/pooped outside the box(es) now? Once, twice, or? Does he repeatedly go in the same places? Could it be an outside influence, such as stray cats or other critters that are hanging around your new area? If he has gotten more particular about his litter box choices/habits (that can happen, btw), could he be smelling scents of other pets that might have been in your home before you?

Lots of things to take into consideration. I could go on and on with questions, but maybe take a look at these TCS articles (see links below) and see if they spark any ideas on what might be happening so that you can narrow down to some of most plausible causes, and then let us know what you think.

I also don't think you can rule out a health issue, especially at his age and particularly if he hasn't had a routine checkup recently. This time is a bit different that before given that he is now not only peeing but pooping outside the box as well. So, a behavioral issue, on its own merit seems less likely.
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite
The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

veganeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have a lot of possible reasons. The move could have started the whole issue. Giving back a second box could have disguised the real problem, as it was more like what he was used to before the move. For the time that he was once again going in the litter box(es) could you tell if he was using both? Is the second litter box different from the first one, or the original two? How many times has he peed/pooped outside the box(es) now? Once, twice, or? Does he repeatedly go in the same places? Could it be an outside influence, such as stray cats or other critters that are hanging around your new area? If he has gotten more particular about his litter box choices/habits (that can happen, btw), could he be smelling scents of other pets that might have been in your home before you?

Lots of things to take into consideration. I could go on and on with questions, but maybe take a look at these TCS articles (see links below) and see if they spark any ideas on what might be happening so that you can narrow down to some of most plausible causes, and then let us know what you think.

I also don't think you can rule out a health issue, especially at his age and particularly if he hasn't had a routine checkup recently. This time is a bit different that before given that he is now not only peeing but pooping outside the box as well. So, a behavioral issue, on its own merit seems less likely.
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite
The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make - TheCatSite
Thank you for this! He seems unwell this morning so we’ve made a vet appt asap (in a couple hours), regardless of whether or not he gets better this time around because there is now a pattern every few weeks.

veganeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let us know how the vet visit goes!
The vet is very concerned about his breathing so is keeping him for tests. Said there may be some crystals in his urine but that doesn’t explain the breathing. I’ll report back when we know more but wow am I having a hard tome concentrating today… I just want our boy to me ok.

veganeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, wow! I hope he is just hyped up from the vet visit. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:
No, his breathing was weird this morning. He’s done this before and then it’s suddently stopped after coughing up a hairball and he’s back to normal so we didn’t worry *too* much since it didn’t last more than a few hours. Vet doesn’t think it’s related to a hairball though.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just seeing this now. Sending good wishes and healing vibes for your cat. Hope the vet can figure out what's going on.
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::sickcat:

veganeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are things going?
Thank you for following up! Lots of testing and $1400 later we got some answers… Anakin (our boy) has crystals in his bladder. This can be managed through diet change and we are giving him anti-inflammtory meds and pain killers. The vet gave him an antibiotic and thankfully we took him home the same day.

Xrays also show early signs of COPD, which is why his breathing was off. We need to go back in 6 months for a follow up to see if the COPD is progressing and whethers meds are required.

A photo of Anakin back home… we are so grateful ❤
F930693D-9EFB-4A21-909A-4817ADD96D33.jpeg