Cat Peeing On Toy

emmajane20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! so this is about my kitty Rosie. So my cat has some weird urinating habits. Some history that might be some help:

First of all though I leave the door open to my room, she will not explore the rest of house and chooses to stay in my room. It’s my other cat Mia who attacks her if she tries. Mia is bipolar and has aggreissve tendincies in general and is over twice Rosie’s size. I’ve tried numerous ways to have them get along over the year but nothing seems to work. Nevertheless Rosie and I are very close. She snuggles with me all the time and is very loving with me. She’s a rescue and as a kitten was very sick in multiple ways: she was jaundice, had a bowel obsruction, and had a blood disorder. All of these have been treated over a year ago. Since I’ve had her with very regular check ups with the vet she is in good health. She has severe gingivitis however but she’s is currently getting treated for it now. She’s very petite (7lbs) and shy but other than that acts fairly normal. She’s also 2 years old.

So back to the urinating. Because she’s chosen to stay in my room I have her litter and her food/water in my room just for her. The litter seems to be an issue. She poops in it normally and frequently pees in it, but sometimes she pees outside the litter. I thought at first she might have a UTI but the vet said she doesn’t have one after she was tested. She pees outside the litter sometimes and on her cat toy. After she pees outside the box she sometimes licks it and then scratches the floor around it for a while. I just moved the box and removed the litter box lid and she seems to be peeing only in the litter on nto right outside of it like she did, until I noticed that she’s still peeing on her toy. I don’t know if this is from my other cat Mia and this is territorial, if this is because of the gingivitis (still not fully recovered), or purely behavioral. I really want her to stop I don’t know how. After she pees outside the box I just clean it and I don’t scold her or anything because I don’t want to do that to her. What can i do?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried giving her a second litter box in your room? Also you maybe put Mia on some prozac since you said she is bipolar? At the very least I would lock Mia up for 4-12 hours a day, the same time every day. Then I would let your scared little kitty out. I might even give Rosie a gentle nudge. I would stop leaving your bedroom door open if Mia is free to threaten her.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Thanks for nursing little Rosie through her earlier medical issues.

Both cats are spayed, right?

About the peeing outside the litter box. Make sure you are using an enzyme cleaner to clean the areas where she pees. Otherwise she will still be able to smell her urine scent and continue to pee there. Same thing with her toy. Clean it with well with an enzyme cleaner. Or maybe replace it and throw out the pee stained one.

Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home

Is she peeing over the side of the litter box? Or in a totally different area? If over the side, a higher sided litter box might help.

How To Choose The Right Litterbox