Cat peeing on new baby's things! Help!

crazycatmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my 3 year old cat (Batgirl) is peeing on everything! She shares a litter box with our other three year old cat (Luna). We keep it very clean so we aren't sure why she's choosing other places to pee. She is currently not fixed. I have heard that female cats do spray but this is definitely pee. She does it mostly on our new baby's stuff or around her stuff. But it does happen other places too like our couch and corners in the rooms. Would getting her fixed stop this or is this her way of acting out because of the new baby? It's just really upsetting having to constantly wash the baby's stuff especially when it's new. The smell is so so strong sometimes I have no choice but to throw the baby's things out. I really look forward to a reply to my question. I'm just so very upset [emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128532[/emoji]

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
. Would getting her fixed stop this or is this her way of acting out because of the new baby?
Both. Spaying the cat will solve half the issue. The peeing on the baby's clothes is your cat's way of showing you that she is not happy with the new baby and all the strange things a baby needs. Cats don't like disruption in their typical routines. Anything new (person, furniture, etc)  throws them for a loop and they get stressed out. Make sure to give your cat plenty of attention. Use Feliway to help calm the cat down. You can also ask the vet for suggestions or to rule out any possible urinary issue.

turtbat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my 3 year old cat (Batgirl) is peeing on everything! She shares a litter box with our other three year old cat (Luna). We keep it very clean so we aren't sure why she's choosing other places to pee. She is currently not fixed. I have heard that female cats do spray but this is definitely pee. She does it mostly on our new baby's stuff or around her stuff. But it does happen other places too like our couch and corners in the rooms. Would getting her fixed stop this or is this her way of acting out because of the new baby? It's just really upsetting having to constantly wash the baby's stuff especially when it's new. The smell is so so strong sometimes I have no choice but to throw the baby's things out. I really look forward to a reply to my question. I'm just so very upset [emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128532[/emoji]
Try getting a Feliway dispenser! I didn't think it would live up to the hype when I purchased it but it's been lifechanging. My cat, like most, pees on clothes/towels/etc. when she's feeling upset or spiteful. I recently moved and someone recommended Feliway to help reduce the "upset peeing" and I went on a limb and purchased it. She hasn't peed outside of her litterbox once since the move. She is 15 and stubborn and set in her ways but it still worked.

Try the spray if you're on the fence about it, but the dispenser is really worth it.

joannekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought a new rug a while ago, and one of my cats kept urinating on it. At first I kept stepping on wet patches, that's when I realised what it was. Took a long time to figure out which one it was until I caught the culprit doing the 'covering it up' maneuver. The smell was horrendous to remove. I hand scrubbed liked crazy, using a lemon cleaning spray as I read cats have a dislike to lemon. It seemed to work as she has never done it since. 

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Natures miracle is a good product for removing pet smells. And yes, I'd get her fixed.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCatMommy  

Would getting her fixed stop this or is this her way of acting out because of the new baby? 
There are too many negatives of not spaying that it would be really good to get her fixed as soon as possible.

Cats do not "act out". Babies are not special creatures that evoke feelings of jealousy or spite in cats. They are way simpler than that -- revenge isn't really their thing.

Inappropriate urinating is a cat's way of dealing with  physical or environmental stress so it's a good idea to try to establish what the stressor may be.

The first step is to get her to the vet to make sure that it is not a medical issue. If she's sick, she may avoid the litterbox.

It's also worth reading through this article

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/litterbox-problems-in-cats-the-ultimate-guide
She shares a litter box with our other three year old cat (Luna). We keep it very clean so we aren't sure why she's choosing other places to pee. 
As a general rule, one box per cat is really advisable, and it's good to have more.  Cats' noses are highly sensitive and they are fastidious about cleanliness. You may find that some cats will only pee in one, and want another box to poo in. Some cats won't even use it if it's not scooped right away.

Please do get her checked over and spayed as soon as possible.  It might just be the answer. 

Last edited by a moderator: