Cat peeing on my bed

mike37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heeeellllllpp. My 7 month old cat keeps peeing on my bed. Idk wats going on. I keep their litterbox clean. I have two cats. They're brothers, they've shared a litterbox since day 1. He keeps peeing then being all super lovie to me when I finally see him without him running away. Uugghhh

Last edited:

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's some recommendations. 2 cats, 3 liter boxes. Having just 1 box with 2 cats, may have caused a waiting line to go, whereas you bed is nice and big and he can go at any time. Also his brother could have attacked him while going or exiting, they are kittens so play time is all the time. If you have a litter box with a lid, remove the lid so the cats can see 360 degrees around them. If your cat is only peeping in your bed there is still hope to fix the problem. He could hate the liter you have chosen for them, could be too smelly or dusty. If he poops and walks out without covering, he is trying to get away as fast as possible. At 7 months they should be using an adult liter box so having only 1 box and it's kitten size can be causing him to go elsewhere. So time to super size their boxes. Cleaning your bed, use an enzyme cleaner for cat urine, such as Natures Miracle for cats. I wouldn't go running to the vet just yet unless your kitten is straining, peeing blood or continually needs to go. I would first add the additional liter boxes and remove and lid. Then after you added the 2 additional boxes if he hasn't stopped try changing the liter type. I have 6 cats and 7 liter boxes and use wheat liter called Swheat Scoop. Minimal dust and absorbs odors. Then once you have done all that if he is still using you bed as a liter box go see a vet. Most people will tell you to go to the vet first and have test taken to see if it's a UTI, urinary track infection, but if it's not the vet will tell you to add the additional boxes and then try changing the liter.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hi.  Not nice when they select the bed but not uncommon.  I agree you need to check out for any possible health issues as this is a change in behaviour.  If it is not related to physical health it could be any of the reasons blackcat416 has suggested or many more, it is hard to read our cats' minds unfortunately.  There are some thoughts that cats peeing on soft comfortable surfaces especially when they smell of someone safe and familiar may be looking for comfort and reassurance.

One thing with mattresses is it can be very hard to get rid of all of the urine odour without professional cleaning but you need to remove all traces or your cat / cats will be drawn back to the area time and time again.

I am attaching a couple of  links from the site about removing urine which I hope will help you:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-remove-cat-urine

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/combat-cat-urine

Also, a link to a thread with a lot of information on possible reasons, plus suggestions for altering the behaviour.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/9563/inappropriate-peeing-problems-answered

Last edited:

lauren65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, of course it can be a change in behavior. I think you Should go to your vet for suggestion.