Cat peeing in house, tried almost everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lscho88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have 3 neutered male cats, adding in the 3rd one 2 yrs ago sent our 2nd cat over the edge. Riley never liked Jerry from the start as being a kitten he was hyper and wanted to play so he always growled and swatted at him.
1 year ago we started smelling urine in our sons basement playroom, the room next to where the 2 litter boxes were. Upon further smelling someone had been peeing all around the wall edges of the room in multiple spots and occasionally right outside the litter box in the next room too. I came around the corber once and caught Riley digging in the carpet and turned around to squat to pee so i caught the culprit! We had them all checked for bladder issues just in case and all clear. Cleaned everything really well with enzyme cleaner to remove all remnants of smell. We also discovered a cat has peed on all rubber back mats throughout the house so we've had to get rid of all of those too.
It has gotten worse and after 1 year now we are at wits end. We have changed litter, litter boxes, added another litter box to the main level in a quiet area, Feliway diffuser, another vet check, different cleaners, we even put the cat on Prozac and other drug I can't remember the name but neither did anything. We have now shut the peeing cat out of the basement and let the other 2 to come and go as they please. He is even more angry at the 3rd cat and growls and screams at him if he even walks by. I go back to the vet with him one last time tomorrow to see if there are any other options.
I love my cats but I'm starting to think 1 is going to have to go. My husband though says we've had them too long and can't get rid of one. He's suggested ripping all the carpet out of the house (basically just the basement) so it eliminates the problem. We have another baby on the way in a few months so we won't have the time to deal with this everyday and I want my kids to actually be able to play in their playroom, it's gross the thought of my new baby crawling through this.
Help please!

fluffscruff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like the peeing cat is territorially insecure and trying to tell the world (mainly the other cats) that he belongs in your household. So, being locked in just the basement could be especially stressful for him. I think he could regain his self-confidence and that may begin with re-introducing the cats that hate each other; keeping them separated, doing scent intros, site swapping, then visual intros, supervised playtimes, until the most insecure cat becomes fully comfortable and confident around the other cats. There are a lot of materials here about cat introductions and Jackson Galaxy has some videos as well. I think he would also benefit from a lot of interactive play with his humans. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lscho88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well we had an incident this morning where my husband tried to remove the cat from a room and the cat went aggressive and husband almost got bit. We had the vet appt today anyways so we explained what happened. The cat was screaming and howling in the crate the whole time which is unlike him he was very agitated.
Our vet is concerned he has psychotic tendencies and with the fact of myself being pregnant and having another young child in the house he is worried about our safety should he "snap" one day. I witnessed my childhood cat attack my mom as a child and it was quite traumatizing that a cat had an adult on the ground, blood everywhere and she couldn't stop him until my dad was able to grab him from behind. I couldn't forgive myself if that happened to my son or soon to be new baby. Our vet has recommended him become a barn cat or be put down. He has never been outside and I feel he would be killed by another animal or hit on the road. The vet said his quality of life right now is not good if he is so stressed all the time. I feel horrible he is only 4 years old to destroy him, but we can't live like this for another 10+ years and the risk of him hurting somebody. I wonder if a sanctuary or rehabilitation type facility would take him at all to maybe be able to help him? Thoughts ?

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there any way you could provide him shelter and safety outside or in a garage?  I have one living quite happily in our garage.  She has a tower, litter box, and plenty of food.  She was unable to accept living with other cats and she thinks its just peachy to live all alone!  Honestly, I've never known her to be as happy as she is now.

I know that most of us feel quite strongly against throw away cats.  There is usually always a way to compromise.  After all...he did not ask for a 3rd kitten.

Last edited:

fluffscruff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is this cat having psychotic tendencies an official diagnosis? That he has some kind of neurological disorder? You may not have much of a choice in that case, but if his health is ruled out and this is solely a behavioral issue, then I think some other options or compromises can be explored.

If you're thinking of euthanizing the cat, giving him away, or leaving him to be an outdoor car, I feel that properly re-introducing the cats to each other could be worth trying before visiting these options. It sounds like he was a wonderful cat before the third kitty came along, but that he never quite adjusted to his territory being "intruded" on. So, he's stressed out and going around trying to assert himself (by peeing on everything) and getting punished (and potentially losing his home) for acting out due to his insecurities and fears. This is a video example by Jackson Galaxy on what a cat introduction can look like, And there's a lot of resources on this site on cat introductions, too. Or like Dandila suggested, it could be that he may do better by himself in a separate part of the house as long as he's cared for by his humans.

lscho88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband and I talked last night and we are looking at separating 1/2 our basement off to give him some space. When they all had free range of the house he basically lived in 2 rooms in the basement he was a hermit all day down there except for food time he'd come up. It's a large basement so the 2 rooms he likes as "his own" can be sectioned off and the others would never have to go in there. He could have his own litter box, eating area, cat perch, his bed a place to run and be by himself which seems to be his preference. And we are in that area multiple times per day too so he won't be separated from humans. But it would make me feel safer too that my son won't regularly be around for fear of him say stepping on his tail someday and that sets him off into an attack.
My vets words were "psychotic tendencies" that we have tried everything out there, and his recommendation due the state of me being pregnant and having young children was either barn cat or put down cat" We will have to mention the separation idea to him, he's followed us closely during all these attempted interventions this year in a bid to stop this behaviour. We are willing to give him a chance with the separation idea,

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was elated to read your reply, Ischo88.  Knowing that your cat will not be put down or re-homed due to an adjustment difficulty is very good news.  I think, too, that you will feel much better about the whole situation with your decision.  You may be truly surprised at how he comes around with space of his very own.  I know that I was with my girl.

lscho88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are willing to try it, like I say we've been pretty patient for a whole year with him like this. We are going to price out some hard flooring for the basement as well, the carpet is pretty much ruined and through all layers down there. So all will be a fresh start, we hope. Hopefully he adjusts to this idea

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good idea about the flooring.  You know, we put wood floors in five years ago and with two cats in the house, one with FLUTD, I don't know how many times I have thanked the heavens for that decision.  Hairballs, upset tummies, pee...not a problem!!!!

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally agree on the flooring! With multiple pets my laminate hardwood floors were very economical and easily cleaned. It's held up well, we've had it for 11 years!

lscho88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I'm unfortunately back. Despite putting in hard flooring, the peeing just transferred and he started peeing in my son's bedroom, the area rugs etc. So we tried separating the cats on different levels. Angry cat now sits and just cries at the door for hours and hours and it's driving us crazy.
I am losing it. I say find him another home - a home with no other animals but my husband is so determined to find a "fix" he doesn't want to give up. I am so stressed out about this, I'm pregnant and my nerves can't take this I'm always the one that finds it and it's hard getting down on the floor for the constant scrubbing. At wits end officially

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When you say that you ruled out bladder issues, how exactly, was that done?  Feline lower urinary tract disease can flair as a response to stress and can only be diagnosed by ruling out stones, infection, and tumors.  This will definitely make the best cat go outside of the box because they associate it with pain.  Has he had an ultrasound yet?

lscho88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They did urine tests, on multiple occasions but no ultrasound. But tonight was the icing on the cake: the cat attacked my husband tonight. Our vet had warned us the psychotic tendencies made him unstable and he might becomes violent. Which he did. Thankfully my husband was the only one in the room and was able to get out and close him in. He was just carrying him down the stairs like hes done a million times and the cat started screaming and turned on him. I refuse to go near him now. I'm afraid come Monday we have made the decision to have him put down. The urine thing we were willing to work on as we have been for the past year. The violence thing however I am not with having a young child and a new baby coming soon. I'm quite sad as I've had him 4 years and at times he can be friendly, but most of the time a hermit. Although I got him from the pound and he had been "returned there for unknown reasons" and his time had almost run out, which I kind of wonder if someone knew his behaviors back then but didn't disclose it and that's why they sent him to the pound. But his quality of life sucks if he's that stressed he's peeing, and who knows what's going on in his head to be that messed up he turns on the people that have cared for him most of his life.
I'm very hormonal and upset over this. I can't even go in the room or look at him because I feel so bad. Knowing he's got less than 48 hours left. But he hasn't gone back to normal either. My husband checked in once and he's peed all over the place, is in hiding and won't come out, won't eat he's just lost it. Sorry there wasn't a nicer ending to this story

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am very distressed to read your reply.  It is a shame you feel you have to give up on him.

lscho88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is at the vets office, I am awaiting test results. So for your information as a last ditch effort they are checking EVERYTHING. If there is a health issue we can help him.
However if he is indeed psychotic as he's been labeled then they again recommended he be put down as human safety is #1. Also the basement we have kept him in, which is finished so not just cement, he has been spraying our walls, furniture etc for the past 48 hours so I don't think of myself as "giving up on my cat", I think of it as we've tried everything reasonable, he's wrecked about $2000 worth in our home, he's bitten people and I don't think I should have to subject us or others to a urine soaked house and a safety risk that he might bite and injure a child. I don't really appreciate your Wording in your last response in making an already upset cat owner feel worse. Maybe that's not what you intended but that's how it came across.

lscho88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:
He is home with us, for now. They found a mass in his bladder that wasn't seen before. He is being treated with pain meds for the time being until we find out for sure what it is. Theres a chance it may NOT be cancer, but will have to wait and see.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your update! I'm so glad there is a reason for him to be acting this way. I know the trouble is not over yet, but there is a chance, no matter how small that he can survive and be normal. I'm so sorry that you have to rack up all these vet bills, but  you will definitely be blessed for doing so and helping him. I know how frustrating things can be when they are out of control, I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, all the luck! 

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is at the vets office, I am awaiting test results. So for your information as a last ditch effort they are checking EVERYTHING. If there is a health issue we can help him.
However if he is indeed psychotic as he's been labeled then they again recommended he be put down as human safety is #1. Also the basement we have kept him in, which is finished so not just cement, he has been spraying our walls, furniture etc for the past 48 hours so I don't think of myself as "giving up on my cat", I think of it as we've tried everything reasonable, he's wrecked about $2000 worth in our home, he's bitten people and I don't think I should have to subject us or others to a urine soaked house and a safety risk that he might bite and injure a child. I don't really appreciate your Wording in your last response in making an already upset cat owner feel worse. Maybe that's not what you intended but that's how it came across.
I am so sorry my post came across like that.  My only purpose in posting to you throughout this thread was to throw out all ideas I could think of to help you and your cat with a truly bad situation.  I never intended to make you feel worse than you already did.

You are awesome for taking a last stab and discovering the truth behind your cat's behavior.  I only wish they hadn't discovered a possible cancer!  My heart goes out to you and your family.  For real.

lscho88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another update: He was acting happier, the peeing issue was still happening a bit but drastically improved amd vets were thinking the mass was maybe a large crystal or blood clot. However in the past week he would throw up every couple days, didn't think much of it at first. Then he started eating less. And throwing up more. Then in the past 24 hours will not eat at all, threw up 10 times overnight and the last 2 are now throwing up blood. Not looking so good anymore. He's acting fine which is strange. Have to wait for on call vet in Canada it's the long weekend here unfortunately...

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How were they treating his issue?  Did they change his diet?  Could that be upsetting his stomach?  Cascade effect?

So sorry you have even more bodily fluids to clean up!  Hopefully, he's okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.