Cat peeing in bathroom sink

bodisha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and thanks in advance for any support/suggestions anyone can offer me

My cat has recently taken to pee'ing in the bathroom sink.  I'm not sure if I should be worried about this new behavior or not.  I recently moved into a new home which is much larger than my old place and I'm not seeing anything that makes me think he's stressed, as he seems more relaxed here than ever.  I also try to clean out his kitty liter box (Which is in the bathroom) regularly so I don't think that's the issue.  I can tell when I clean it he does use it it too pee in.  I'm not 100% sure because I'm not in the bathroom all the time, but he only seems to do it when I'm pee'ing.  He's not pee'ing anywhere else that's inappropriate... Just there. I almost get the sense he think's we're somehow bonding in some weird way... but that's just a guess.  Does anyone else see this sort of behavior out of their cat?  How can I get him to stop it?  I don't wanna just yell at him (Mostly because I don't want him to decide pee'ing in my closet is an alternative).

Once again... Thanks for any advice

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello!

Definitely don't yell at him. Cat are very picky about where they will pee and poop and it has to be very clean. It sounds like his litter box is not always meeting his standards. How often are you cleaning it? Try adding a second box and scooping both every day. This is a behavior you can fix - not his fault.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats suddenly started peeing on a chair in my den a few months ago. I took him to the vet and he had a urinary tract infection. Once it was treated he went back to using the litter box. He was acting completely normal other than peeing on the chair. Perhaps it might be a good idea to take your cat to the vet for a check-up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bodisha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I try to clean it out daily... once in a while i might go two days... but that's always been my routine with cleaning it and I've had him coming up on two years.  He only recently started doing it so i don't think thats it.  I might take him to the vet... is there a website that shows how to find a good vet?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's a recent development then I definitely recommend a vet check. Where are you located?

jenjen777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be a UTI, but I had a cat that preferred tubs and sinks to pee in, only would poop in the litter box. She started when she was about five years old after we moved, I didn't mind it because she never went any where else, but I did have her checked out when she started it initially because it was out of character for her at the time. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bodisha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm in downtown Chicago.  If I could avoid having to head to the burbs for this that would be great

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it might have something to do with marking his new territory, making it his.  Just a guess.  It's a good idea to take him to the vet, just in case.   Also, a second litter box is a good idea anyway even if he wasn't peeing in the sink.  

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should have the vet check him. Donutte is in Chicago, maybe she can tell you of someone to go to. The only time I've had a cat use the tub was when she had worms, so I definitely think your kitty is avoiding the pan for a urinary tract reason.

@Donutte

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not lived in Chicago since 2001 and have never lived downtown. I used to take my cats to Portage Park Animal Hospital when I lived in the city.  I would stay away from Banfield completely.    I have also used Ace Animal hospital.  These are both on the Northwest Side in the 60641 zip code.  

I can try to text my brother to see which vet he uses but he has a dog.  He does currently live in the city though.

Hopefully someone else will have ideas of places they have used recently.

My brother said he uses Dr. Castillo at North Center Animal Hospital which is located at 1800 West Addison.  I am waiting for him to confirm if this vet also treats cats. I can tell from looking online that the facility does.  My brother just confirmed that Dr. Castillo also treats cats.

Last edited: