Cat peed on my couch... three times??

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's never done this to my things before. The first time, I found a puddle on my leather couch and I assumed it was my roommate's dog, that likes to pee everywhere. The second time, yesterday, I found a puddle again (same spot) and began to clean it up. While I was spraying the cushions down with enzyme cleaner, the cat jumped onto the couch, sniffed the spot, meowed at me, then proceeded to pee on the couch again! Right in front of me. Is she trying to send a message?? This cat loves me, and even sleeps with me, but belongs to my roommate. My roommate doesn't scoop or change her kitty litter (maybe once every few months... yes, months) and she's made it very clear I'm not allowed to change or clean it. It's also located in her bedroom, which I'm not allowed in anyways. (Although I do sneak in sometimes to scoop out parts of it, so that the cat at least has a clear spot in the box.. but not enough that my roommate will notice I'm doing it). 

I mentioned the peeing to her, but she seems disinterested (she doesn't really take care of the cat at all or want to spend money on cat related things, such as new litter). I even offered to buy the litter, but she said no (although she always seems to have enough money to go out for dinner or go out drinking every week, and spends money buying pricy new toys and treats for her dog but never the cat). I mentioned it could be a urinary infection, but there's no way she'll pay to take her to the vet. Her exact words were "she better hope not", meaning the cat better hope she doesn't have one. I can't really take her either, since she doesn't belong to me. A few months ago, this cat had really bad tapeworm and was losing weight, and since my roommate refused to do anything about it, I sneakily went to the pet store and bought tapeworm meds for her. I've also been secretly putting flea drops on her every month, because she was infested with them before. I keep secret cat food in my sock drawer for the nights that my roommate won't feed her (she does this often). She's been fine since then, so I don't think the peeing is because of the worm thing. I'm wondering if I should buy a disposible litter box and hide it somewhere in my room so that she has a clean place to go?? Could the peeing just be a message to "change my litter"? She's never peed on the couch or anything else that belongs to me before, but she is notorious for peeing on my roommate's belongings (I don't think she likes her very much). The spot on the couch where she peed is also the exact spot where my roommate sits every single day with her dog when she watches tv, so I'm thinking it's either because of the dirty litter or she's doing it out of spite to my roommate and doesn't realize the couch is actually mine (she's peed on her bed and clothes before, but never on mine). To be honest though, if my toilet was that dirty and disgusting and my owner refused to give me food, I'd probably pee on the couch in protest too! Also, how can I stop her from doing it again? I'm afraid if the peeing becomes more of a problem than it already is, my roommate might just let her outside. Do you think a second litter box somewhere would help??

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are very correct.  Your roommate ignoring the cat's box is causing this behavior.  She has no idea how to care for a cat. She is treating it like a dog.  It sounds to me like your roommate needs an "intervention", maybe by some authority figure.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If her box is that dirty, it could definitely be the problem as she seems to do this regularly. You could try to get her another box in your room and see if this stops. It could be a urinary tract problem as you've noted. You will need an enzyme cleaner (kike Nature's Miracle) to get the smell out completely so that she doesn't keep peeing in that one spot.

I feel very bad for this cat. Why does your roommate even have a cat if she doesn't care about it? Could you offer to take her and be responsible for her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I feel bad for her too. There's so much other stuff she does to her that doesn't relate to this post, but I consider my roommate a borderline abusive owner. Nothing she does is ever physical, just neglectful health wise and she'll yell at it for no reason, throw things to scare it, let her drunk friends poke at it and lets her dog attack and chase it around the room and laughs when it has nowhere to run. But then she'll purposely cuddle and kiss her dog in front of the cat, and reward the dog for attacking the cat, like she's trying to rub it in or make the cat feel jealous or unloved or something? It's bizarre. I did offer to take care of the cat but she refused, I even offered her money. I don't know why she has her either, when the cat spends 99% of its day finding ways to hide from her. She pretty much doesn't leave my room and stays under my bed while I'm at work, but that's fine cause at least she's safe there. To be honest I might just take her when I move or at least have her removed from her care before I go, because I don't think I'd be able to sleep at night knowing I left her with someone like that. Especially if the peeing continues, because when she catches her peeing she freaks out and screams at her. I'd totally pee on her stuff too if I had her for an owner.

As of right now, I bought a travel (small/disposable) litter kit and hid it in my closet. I'm not thrilled about having a litter box in my closet, but it has to be where my roommate won't see it because she'd flip. I'm thinking that was all it was, because as soon as I put it there the cat started purring and crawled in and just sat in the clean litter for like half an hour happy as could be! She's used it a few times since then (which I've scooped after each use), and as of tonight, no more puddles on the couch! Fingers crossed that was the reason!!!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, I'm so glad you were able to do that for her. It's sad that a clean litter box made her so happy. It's so little to ask for in life! I really hope you can rescue this cat somehow from your roommate.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd make that cat disappear. That's not borderline abuse, that is blatant abuse. Take her to the shelter unless you know someone who can rescue her, and tell your roommate "one of your friends must have let her out."

She obviously keeps the cat around purely to torture it, it gives her a feeling of power to treat a living being so horribly. She is sick, and this cat is having a miserable life, please do get the cat out of there. Animal abuse is illegal, also, which makes you liable, since you live there too, even though you do care and are trying to make life better for kitty.

The cat probably does have a urinary tract infection, these are common for a cat under stress and forced to use a dirty litter box. Very painful condition, and will only get worse and eventually affect her kidneys.

Please, get her out.

Last edited:

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! You have to get that cat away from her! Somehow, someway. I agree with Otto, find someone who will take her asap and just shrug at your room mate and say no clue where it is. Thank you so much for providing her with that litter box. What a shame the poor thing has to go through this. My other fear is the dog will one day kill her. OMG I'm so angry right now! Please please get her out of there.

casemarten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sorry for the situation.  Kudos to you for caring about the cat and taking it upon yourself to help the kitty out. 

We have four cats, and the youngest one will urinate on a blanket or bed if the boxes are dirty.  We have 3 boxes and scoop twice a day, change litter as often as needed (every 2-3 days).  I think this is a common behavior with a dirty box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree, I kind of brushed it off at first because I realize not everyone treats their cats like queen of the household, but the things she does and certain aspects of her personality really bother me and have made me believe she does these things intentionally. There's been so much other stuff but most of it is so subtle that unless you know her personally, it's hard to differentiate between a clueless pet owner and someone who actually enjoys doing it and does it purposely. I really didn't want to say this because obviously it's sketchy, but I do plan on taking her. I'm only here until my new condo gets finished and in the mean time (as of last week), I'm working from home so I'm here 24/7 to keep watch. The cat goes where I go, and stays in my room for the most part so luckily she is completely safe in the mean time. Roommate is rarely home (she works and takes college classes now) and her dog stays locked in her room when she's out (it's not a big dog, but it is still a bit bigger than the cat so that is not ok to me, nor do I think it's 'just playing' like she claims). I don't think she's even physically seen the cat in weeks since she's always with me (and I kind of avoid her too lol), so she's not a target. I think the novelty has worn off and roommate doesn't really bother about her anymore, although I'd never leave for the weekend or something to test that theory. The stuff above was mostly when she first got the cat, but since then she's learned to avoid her and sleeps/stays with me wherever I am. I just make sure that feeding etc is stealth so my roommate doesn't find out, she knows the cat is always in my room but I don't think she knows that I actually cuddle/feed/play with her etc, she just thinks I ignore her like she does. I don't want to put too much detail (mostly in case roommate randomly takes an interest in cats one day and recognizes herself as part of this thread, although unlikely lol).. but I do have a plan and exit strategy for kitty within the next little while ;)

As for our litter predicament, she's been using the new box regularly and there haven't been any surprises anywhere else, so for now I don't think she has a UTI, but I will be keeping watch just in case!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Best of luck to you and this kitty. I'm so glad you're taking her with you!