cat peed 2 x just outside litter box. Please help me brainstorm so it own't keep happening

muddygrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got Teddy on August 8th.  We live in a big house and at first only had 1 cat box but now we have 2. I put the 2nd one just at the bottom of the stairs in our basement (which is an open staircase no door, he goes down there all the time).  The primary box that he uses the most is in a bedroom where he started out at when we got him. He is 4 years old by the way and we got him at the shelter. He seems very relaxed and easy going . he is not scared or shy. He's not had any prior problems here at our house. He always pees in the front right corner of the box and poops in the back. We use regular NON clumping clay litter. He seems to be fine with that from the get go. I have tried to be very on top of cleaning the box. As soon as he poops or I smell that he's pooped I clean it out. Pee, I clean out 2x a day. I use a little shovel to make sure i get it all so it's not sitting there all day/week with pee in it. The other thing you should know is that we put him in the room at night so he doesn't wander the house. We've done this since day one. Actually he was confined in that room for the first week so he could relax and adjust. The room has windows, places to lay/hide and his food and water and litter box. 

Ok so yesterday 8/23 when I let him out of hte room in the morning there were 2 poops and 1 pee and I cleaned the box and also got out the vacuum to vacuum up the litter that gets tracked all over. I have one of those spongy plastic mats under the litter box that catches the tracked litter and it's been working well. I used the vacuum cleaner hose tool to suck up the litter pieces and then stepped on the mat only to realize it was wet! Then I realized there was a puddle of pee in it it had even gotten in the hose of the vacuum. So I had to clean the vacuum hose and clean the floor where it dripped out of the hose onto the carpet. I soaked it all up with old rags and used vinegar to spray and soak it . I removed the mat and put an old carpet rug under the box temporarily till the matt could dry. This carpet rug was previously used in the car but never around animals. 

So this morning I go into the room and find the litter box needs cleaned (he poops overnight, almost daily). His poop this time seemed really watery and some blood tinges) no pee int he box but a wet spot on the carpet square that is under his box (the whole room is carpeted too but he's not gone yet on that just the rug under his box right in front of it). So this is the 2nd time. And Now I am perplexed because I thought the first time may have been because the box was too full for his liking and he'd peed on the mat as a last resort. Ok.... so this time the box only had the one nasty stinky watery poo but nothing else in it. Could it have still been avoidance of the box because of his one poop? Or something else? it seems a bit more deliberate this time since the rug is a different rug and doesn't smell of pee.  The box didn't have any other pee in it. Could it be because he doesnt like to pee in the box with poop already in it? 

I really need some help. I am a first time adult cat owner. I had cats growing up . and the only cat we had a problem with when I was a kid, peed on the carpet in the living room all the time after many years of not doing so, and they couldnt' get him to stop. So they gave him away (my parents did). So i don't have a good experience with this. But I was a kid and know that there are solutions to this. I just can't have a cat peeing all over the house. And thank GOD he is not, but it's still outside the box and i don't want it to continue. I had to put up a good arguement to my husband to get Teddy so you can see why this worries me.

So any ideas on why he'd pee 2x outside the box? What can I do to fix this for him so he won't do it anymore? and also I wonder about his poop. It's been nasty smelly from day one. But this has been the first time it's been unformed and blood tinged. He eats 4health dry food that is a grain free brand from Tractor supply and usually eats a little wet food in the morning. but yesterday he had no wet food and that's the only difference. Every other day he has. 

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We got Teddy on August 8th.  We live in a big house and at first only had 1 cat box but now we have 2. I put the 2nd one just at the bottom of the stairs in our basement (which is an open staircase no door, he goes down there all the time).  The primary box that he uses the most is in a bedroom where he started out at when we got him. He is 4 years old by the way and we got him at the shelter. He seems very relaxed and easy going . he is not scared or shy. He's not had any prior problems here at our house. He always pees in the front right corner of the box and poops in the back. We use regular NON clumping clay litter. He seems to be fine with that from the get go. I have tried to be very on top of cleaning the box. As soon as he poops or I smell that he's pooped I clean it out. Pee, I clean out 2x a day. I use a little shovel to make sure i get it all so it's not sitting there all day/week with pee in it. The other thing you should know is that we put him in the room at night so he doesn't wander the house. We've done this since day one. Actually he was confined in that room for the first week so he could relax and adjust. The room has windows, places to lay/hide and his food and water and litter box. 

Ok so yesterday 8/23 when I let him out of hte room in the morning there were 2 poops and 1 pee and I cleaned the box and also got out the vacuum to vacuum up the litter that gets tracked all over. I have one of those spongy plastic mats under the litter box that catches the tracked litter and it's been working well. I used the vacuum cleaner hose tool to suck up the litter pieces and then stepped on the mat only to realize it was wet! Then I realized there was a puddle of pee in it it had even gotten in the hose of the vacuum. So I had to clean the vacuum hose and clean the floor where it dripped out of the hose onto the carpet. I soaked it all up with old rags and used vinegar to spray and soak it . I removed the mat and put an old carpet rug under the box temporarily till the matt could dry. This carpet rug was previously used in the car but never around animals. 

So this morning I go into the room and find the litter box needs cleaned (he poops overnight, almost daily). His poop this time seemed really watery and some blood tinges) no pee int he box but a wet spot on the carpet square that is under his box (the whole room is carpeted too but he's not gone yet on that just the rug under his box right in front of it). So this is the 2nd time. And Now I am perplexed because I thought the first time may have been because the box was too full for his liking and he'd peed on the mat as a last resort. Ok.... so this time the box only had the one nasty stinky watery poo but nothing else in it. Could it have still been avoidance of the box because of his one poop? Or something else? it seems a bit more deliberate this time since the rug is a different rug and doesn't smell of pee.  The box didn't have any other pee in it. Could it be because he doesnt like to pee in the box with poop already in it? 

I really need some help. I am a first time adult cat owner. I had cats growing up . and the only cat we had a problem with when I was a kid, peed on the carpet in the living room all the time after many years of not doing so, and they couldnt' get him to stop. So they gave him away (my parents did). So i don't have a good experience with this. But I was a kid and know that there are solutions to this. I just can't have a cat peeing all over the house. And thank GOD he is not, but it's still outside the box and i don't want it to continue. I had to put up a good arguement to my husband to get Teddy so you can see why this worries me.

So any ideas on why he'd pee 2x outside the box? What can I do to fix this for him so he won't do it anymore? and also I wonder about his poop. It's been nasty smelly from day one. But this has been the first time it's been unformed and blood tinged. He eats 4health dry food that is a grain free brand from Tractor supply and usually eats a little wet food in the morning. but yesterday he had no wet food and that's the only difference. Every other day he has. 
Loose stool with blood is indicative of parasites or other digestive issues, and if he is in pain or uncomfortable he may be associating the pain with the box and seek to relieve the pain by going elsewhere.  I would get a vet appointment with a stool sample and rule out urinary tract issues as well, but if he only does this in the room he is confined in, then I would consider an experiment and not confine him overnight and see if this has an effect.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with StephenQ, this is more likely a physical problem than a behavioral one.  Scoop up some of that watery blood tinged poo and take it to your vet for analysis, and make him an appointment for a check up right away.  They have no way of telling us with words when they have a problem, so they have to show us. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muddygrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well a little more information now. He peed again on the mat and the litter box was completely clean. SO... it's probably not something to do with the box being too full stinky or not clean enough. I did fill up another bigger pan for him so he has another option to go (after finding the 3rd pee). I think maybe he does need to go to the vet. This is just too weird. I can't imagine it's behavioural all of a sudden. His box is in a quiet space and cleaned very frequently. He also has another box downstairs as well. No other cats around . My daughter doesn't bother him when he's going either. I hope this is something easily remedied.

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
GO TO THE VET.  Blood in his stool should be alarm enough to go...let alone peeing outside of a clean box.