Cat Pee Problem - Kidney Issue

catman in scottsdale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody. I have done some reading here and it is very helpful. And I have followed the guidelines for this problem. Mine might be a little different though.

I have an 8 year old scottish fold in a house with 4 other cats. He has had lots of medical issues in his life. And the last year or so he has been getting twice weekly fluids to compensate for his failing kidneys. So far so good although he is getting problematic over allowing that.

In the last couple weeks we began to notice one of the cays was peeing around the house. Like near the food bowls. Or on the mat my wife stands on in front of the cooktop. Or in our shower. And it isn't marking it is peeing. He has also missed the letterbox.

We took him to the vet (thank you for $300 to find out he might have a UTI) and they gave him a shot of antibiotics. But it isn't really making any difference that we can tell.

His overall health and this behavioral issue has my wife at wits end and it might be the end of him if we can't resolve it soon. Is this a natural progression for kidney disease? Is there something we might have missed?

Thanks and thanks for the forum.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had two cats with Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) and neither of them urinated outside the litter box--ever. With both of them, I read extensively on CKD sites, and peeing outside the box was never mentioned as any aspect of the disease.

You have 4 other cats, so why are you sure this one is the culprit? Have you caught him at it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catman in scottsdale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Thanks for the info. I believe my wife has caught him in the act. I have not. I think he is nearing the end. Lethargic and resists the fluids now.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He only got the one shot of antibiotics? When my cat had a UTI, he got an antibiotic shot, then I had to give him liquid antibiotics for 10 more days. Is he eating enough canned food?

catman in scottsdale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The urine test didn’t indicate a uti. So they didn’t follow up with more antibiotics. And he does get wet food several times a day. He begs for it. Meows a lot. I think he might be suffering and he thinks eating will make him feel better.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good that he eats lots of wet food. I hope the vet was right and that he doesn't have a UTI. The antibiotics really helped my boy when he was peeing all over the place.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What has the vet said on your cat's overall health and prognosis? Kidney disease is unfortunately progressive, and poor health can lead to all sorts of behavior changes...

catman in scottsdale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I just spoke with my wife. She is also not 100% sure which cat is doing this. We need to watch carefully. hard to do with 5 cats. I am glad I found this site though. Helpful to bounce stuff off people who have faced the same issues.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I just spoke with my wife. She is also not 100% sure which cat is doing this. We need to watch carefully. hard to do with 5 cats. I am glad I found this site though. Helpful to bounce stuff off people who have faced the same issues.
Definitely pays not to jump the gun. I remember one time we had a problem with peeing in the closet, and I was obsessing about how a cat go in there. It was several days later I linked it to my son's sleepwalking lol...

catman in scottsdale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is funny. I am setting up my laptop to act as a video camera to leave in the area we are finding pee. Gonna game cam the culprit so I know if another cat needs vet attention.

catman in scottsdale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK we have seen which car it is and we were correct. I contacted the vet and they affirmed he had no UTI but said he might have crystals or other painful urinary issues and prescribed a pain medication. He still went outside the box but only by a few feet last night. And I removed the mat he was using in the kitchen which I think retained his scent. We will see. He has stopped meowing all the time which I think means he was in some discomfort. Fingers crossed.