Cat pee on baseboards

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure where to put this so feel free to move it.

I think Indy must have peed on my baseboards when she had a bladder infection (long since better) earlier this month. She is fine now so don't worry about her but I turned the baseboards on since my heatpump was struggling to keep up with the cold snap and a horrid smell came off them, looked inside and sure enough yellow marks on the fins. I think they cooked the pee onto them. How would I get this stench out? Should I just let it burn off and open the window? I cannot remove the baseboard from the wall since its hardwired in. Anyone know of a way to clean pee out of inside baseboards?

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert on this, but I use to have a friend that did a.c. work and to my dismay, he had all kinds of sprays that would clean up and de-odorize a.c. coils....what your talking about would kinda be along those same lines......just a thought.........

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I woudl get some Natures Miracle, turn them off for a while and tehn light spray them. If you can, wipe off any you can get too. Then spray again. Sometimes I have had to spray three times, but it vhas enzymes to destroy the urine and works! It even got dog urine out of a conceret basement!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most of it is inside the unit on the fins. I did turn them off last night but now the house is chilly.

If only I could get the front peice off then I could actualy reach the area where the pee is. It is inside on the fins.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't reach the fins where the pee is thats my problem. There is a sheet of metal that goes across them i can't get anything in there. If i was to just spray it would not reach the fins.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I finaly got the pannel off by sticking a screwdriver under it and pulling it off. Gross burnt hair mixed with pee caked on the fins.... now i can scrub it down.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be careful not to bend the fins on the baseboard heater when you clean them. A small tube type brush or similar will help get between the fins more easily. Soft bristles are better than hard ones.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Really caked on.... got a steel brush from the hardware store and scrubbed it for about 30 mins and finaly got it off there does appear to be residual corrosion on the fins from the pee though. Front was hard to get back on but just snaps into place. It is back up and running now. No more pee smell but residual burning cleaner smell. It dissipated after a few mins though.