Cat Pee Dark Red

riahf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I have a cat who has had issues peeing in the litter box since I adopted her as a kitten. She's now about 3. She always seems to prefer to go on anything on the ground (or on a flat surface) over her box. She especially loves clothing/paper. This is part one of the problem, but not really what I'm looking for help with.

Recently, I found a pile of plastic bags behind my trash can she had decided to go on. It looks like she's been using this location as a litter box for a couple of weeks without my noticing. It smelled very strongly of ammonia and I found some dark red sprays on the bag and the wall behind them. Should I get her to a vet? In total, it looks like 3 or 4 small red dots.

Also, but less importantly, any advice for a kitty who just refuses to pee in her box? There are 4 boxes around my apartment, all kept super clean. She just prefers paper/clothing to go on.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would recommend a vet visit as soon as you can possibly get one. sounds like she has a URI or something. Any blood is bad. She will need antibiotics.
Peeing outside the litter box is one of the most common signs of urinary problems. They are in pain and this is the only way they have to communicate that something is wrong.
Please have a vet visit, and keep us updated on her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

riahf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the quick reply! Does she need to go to an emergency clinic or do you think I'd be safe making an appointment for tomorrow morning?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she has a urinary tract infection which could be quite painful for her. She should see a vet as soon a possible. UTI's are easy to treat, but don't wait until there are complications.

I've only had one cat who had UTI's, 3 over the course of her life. Every time she stopped using the box, I would find blood in her urine when I blotted it up. As soon as the infection was treated, she would go back to using her litter box again.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a good clinic you can take her to tonight that would be optimum. Sooner she can get treatment the better, and out of pain. If you do not have one then i would definitely try to get her in tomorrow. Do keep us updated!

riahf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the quick replies. After closer inspection I think the red might be from the red paint on the Target bags she was tinkling on. (whoops). I'm a bit embarrassed, sorry to sound the alarms so quickly.

However, I'm still concerned about how strongly the smell of ammonia was, should I still take her to the vet even though peeing outside the litter has been a longstanding problem?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the quick replies. After closer inspection I think the red might be from the red paint on the Target bags she was tinkling on. (whoops). I'm a bit embarrassed, sorry to sound the alarms so quickly.

However, I'm still concerned about how strongly the smell of ammonia was, should I still take her to the vet even though peeing outside the litter has been a longstanding problem?
Yes i would still very much recommend the vet visit. Its great if there is no blood. But any cat that is peeing outside the litter box needs checked for a URI. Its a classic symptom. Hopefully not too bad, and a round of antibiotics will clear her up. Cats are amazing at hiding pain, even when really sick, she may have had a URI for a long time. If there is no blockage its hard to tell without a vet visit. I would try to get her in tomorrow at the latest, and see whats going on. Let us know what you find out.

riahf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, I will be sure to take her to the vet ASAP. I appreciate your help.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will keep you guys in my thoughts. Do let us know what you find out, we will worry about the little girl. :crossfingers:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I would get her to the vet for antibiotics and then increase her canned food if you can. Is she eating a lot of dry food?