Cat pee and taxis

ruthie70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know that quite a few cats pee in their carriers on the way to the vet. Has this happened to you, and if so, has the urine ever leaked out of the carrier and into the car - even with padding on the bottom of the carrier? I am thinking of adopting a new cat, but am concerned about this possibility as I don't have a car and rely on taxis. Could be very humiliating were this to happen

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sometimes happen that a cat pees out of fear or length of time in a carrier. But I have never known the pee run out if there is a lining in the carrier. Try putting a training puppy pad on the floor first, with a plastic backing, then a folded towel on top, to cover as much of the floor as possible. And make sure the carrier is kept upright on the journey - sounds obvious but I have had them turn right over at a sudden stop, or just from the cat trying to claw its way out..

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Oscar does it every time he goes to the vet. He usually poops on the way there and pees on the way home. Poor baby is terrified of carriers.

I have a special bed that I use in the carriers to absorb everything (it has 2" sides that cling to the inside of the carrier) and I carry paper towels and a garbage bag with me.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is nothing to be embarrassed about. If you take the good advice that the others have given you, you should be fine. I drive a taxi, and we often get requests to drive people with pets. Just ask for a pet friendly driver, because some drivers will not allow animals in their cars. Mostly the problem is dogs that are not in carriers, or are stinky and nasty. A little cat pee in a carrier on a towel should not be a problem.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most carriers are fine with cats peeing in them, just get a hardsided carrier instead of a softsided one, with a liner or towel and a puppy training pad under to soak up anything.

I have picked up lots of cats from vets or other shelters for the shelter and only a handful have pee'd in the carrier, more have pooped in the carrier than pee'd.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruthie70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone - hadn't thought about the pooping - something else to watch out for!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
None of my cats have ever done that when they were in the cat carrier. But I agree with what the rest said about using a pad. I know some cats are more nervous than others and I can see how something like that might happen.