Cat pee!!!! AGAIN. I have tried EVERYTHING

pikasafire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got two cats, about ten months old, from the same litter.

Molly, my female cat, is driving me mental. There's ONE particular spot in the kitchen the she always, ALWAYS pees in. I've tried everything! She's gone to the vet three times in the last month trying to figure this out, and we're no closer to a solution! She has no UTI's and she's on special food just in case it's a digestive problem. I've restricted her going outside, in case it was stress, but whether she's allowed inside or outside seems to have no effect on this problem.

They're desexed and vaccinated. I've tried alfoil and plastic (they pee there anyway). I ripped up the linoleum so I could spray the enzyme urine-remover from the pet store UNDER the lino as well as on top, so there should be no lingering smell. I've been sure not to wash the floor with bleach or anything with ammonia. I put their food and water in that corner (she just peed there anyway, which I thought was strange). They have three litterboxes, and Molly is happy to poop in there all the time, and pee in there if she can't get to the corner. I make sure the window above the corner is always closed and the blind is down. I've tried putting citrus in the corner, and spraying that section of the floor with the cat-repelling spray (neither of these seemed to bother them at all) I've tried watching her and telling her sterning 'No!' when she goes to that particular corner, and all that's done is make her avoid the corner IF i'm in the room. I've also tried putting out a litter box with an alternate litter, in case it was a litter problem. There have been no changes in her schedule, or my schedule. She's been doing this for months, and it's driving me crazy! I'm having to confine her to the laundry when I'm not home, which means my other cat Sullivan has to be confined in there as well (they're very co-dependent), and he is very unimpressed with the whole situation. And I feel bad for punishing him for something his sister is doing!

The only thing I've found works, is just putting a litter box in that spot, which isn't really solving the problem at all! It wouldn't be too bad, but it's right next to the kitchen table, which is just not pleasant, or particuarly sanitary!

I am getting really desperate. She's too skittish to be an outside cat and I really prefer her inside where she's safe, but I'm not seeing much of a choice unless I can solve this problem!!!

I looked for Felizaway, (I am trying everything possible!) but I'm in Australia and I haven't been able to find it, and I'm not certain about the legalities of getting it posted over here. Is anyone here aware of where I can get it here, or what a good alternative is?

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you try Amazon? I know you can get it through there.

Let me tell you- I was skeptical about Feliaway at first- but this time it really does seem to work. Jasper was spraying in my family room almost on a daily basis. I broke down and bought Nature's Miracle- and that was kind of helping- but not really. I got a Feliaway diffuser refill, and he has NOT sprayed in there in about 2 weeks now

Of course now he's sprayed somewhere else, and I may have to go get another diffuser for that room. But if it works- I'm willing to spend another $40 (I'm in the US) for him to stop this annoying habit.

Cheryl

kittytales

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have no words of advise. I also have a cat with litterbox issues. He loves to poop right NEXT to his litterbox. Luckily, the boxes are in a tiled-floor spare bedroom in a distant corner of the apartment, and my cats are raw fed so it's not terribly offensive, but I understand you frustration. Hang in there.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try Prozac, as it sounds like you are really getting fed up. I have a boy that is rather "high strung" and will urinate, usually in the kitchen or on my daughter's things, when he becomes stressed out. I've used all the usual techniques--Feliway, etc--but nothing works like prozac, and it works IMMEDIATELY. I also found that he does really well on half the dose the vet recommended. I do wean him off from time to time, and he will go several months with no issues and then "something" will stress him, and we have to start it again. It just happened this weekend, in fact, so have contacted the vet just this morning.

Good luck! Hang in there!!!!

Cally

doggyman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
I see you have tried some proprietary brand for removing the smell of cat pee, have you tried white vinegar and water, to a ratio of 1 part white vinegar to 3 parts water I have found this works really well, because the pee is alkali and the vinegar acid the two neutralise each other removing the smell so that when your cat goes to that spot the smell is gone hopefully making it less likely he will top up the smell that was there as there is no smell of pee to top up. Vinegar is cheap, might be worth a try, and make sure it is white NOT brown vinegar