Cat paws at food, very confused at water

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have a 7 month old kitten and she recently developed this behaviour of pawing at her food like trying to hide it. She does this in the air, floor or if she finds anything she would be able to drag it on the food.

She is also staring at the water for very long periods of time and then pets her paw inside it. I thought the water could be dirty of something but she even does it when the water is changed.

I might be wrong also but she used to drink more water? I mean we got her at cold weather and she drank a lot but now is hot but she drinks very little.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just one of those strange cat quirks :crazy: I wouldn't worry about the pawing at the water or at mystery objects. Maybe your cat would like a water fountain? Some cats like moving water. Fountains can be a pain to clean, though.

What are you feeding your cat? Cats who eat mostly canned food won't drink from a bowl of water very much since they're getting their water needs directly from the food. As long as the cat isn't dehydrated, don't worry. Pull up the skin at the back of the neck up as far as it will go. Then let go. If the skin snaps back into place immediately, the cat is hydrated. If it slowly sink back down, the cat is dehydrated and a call to the vet is needed to determine if the cat needs to be seen ASAP to be given fluids or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just one of those strange cat quirks :crazy: I wouldn't worry about the pawing at the water or at mystery objects. Maybe your cat would like a water fountain? Some cats like moving water. Fountains can be a pain to clean, though.

What are you feeding your cat? Cats who eat mostly canned food won't drink from a bowl of water very much since they're getting their water needs directly from the food. As long as the cat isn't dehydrated, don't worry. Pull up the skin at the back of the neck up as far as it will go. Then let go. If the skin snaps back into place immediately, the cat is hydrated. If it slowly sink back down, the cat is dehydrated and a call to the vet is needed to determine if the cat needs to be seen ASAP to be given fluids or not.
Thank you for the reply! I am feeding her Felix kitten wet and purina one kitten dry (although I really want to change these. Idk what to). Thank you for that neck thing as well I will do that as soon as possible

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats may cover their food for two reasons. Either they don’t like it or they are instinctively covering it to save for their next meal. So if she is eating the food or some of the food before covering, all you can do is try to keep toys away. Doesn’t always work though. My nine year old covers her food and she will find something from across the room to use.

As to the water, again varying reasons. It can be simply be play or she could be moving aside things like floating dust or hair to get a drink. Another quirky thing some cats do. I also have one who leaves a toy in her water on a fairly regular basis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply! I am feeding her Felix kitten wet and purina one kitten dry (although I really want to change these. Idk what to). Thank you for that neck thing as well I will do that as soon as possible

Edit: i had a thought. I only started dry food like about
Cats may cover their food for two reasons. Either they don’t like it or they are instinctively covering it to save for their next meal. So if she is eating the food or some of the food before covering, all you can do is try to keep toys away. Doesn’t always work though. My nine year old covers her food and she will find something from across the room to use.

As to the water, again varying reasons. It can be simply be play or she could be moving aside things like floating dust or hair to get a drink. Another quirky thing some cats do. I also have one who leaves a toy in her water on a fairly regular basis.
Ah yeah then it could be I guess because she doesn't seem to do it to dry food as much (or doesn't at all). She general also prefers the dry food but also she runs away from another else other than felix wet food.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
Does she drink it? Sometimes cats can't see exactly where the surface of the water is, so it's suggested to float a clean pingpong ball in the bowl.

You could also provide a couple of clean daily tall water glasses or mason jars with fresh daily filtered water, in unusual locations for her :)