cat paw twitch and shake after eating

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I sent this video to my vet and she said he looks fine and he just had all his bloodwork done which came back good. Has anyone else’s cat done this? I have never had a cat who does this. It’s always after eating so I’m thinking maybe allergies? He also is itching and sniffling a little, which he is on lysine for the sniffling but idk if that’s helping. Any help would be so appreciated!! Hopefully the video works! The twitch in the paw is at the very beginning and then he shakes a little.
February 17, 2024

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't personally see much to be concerned about in that video. Although, I couldn't see the paw in question when he was eating, only when he stopped and moved away from his dish. How old is your cat?

It could be something as simple as getting a bit if a cramp in his leg with the way he positions himself to eat. If that were to be the case, trying an elevated dish might be the answer.

As far as lysine, some think it helps and others don't. Another supplement to try for immune support is DMG.
Vetri DMG™ Liquid for Dogs and Cats - VetriScience

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I don't personally see much to be concerned about in that video. Although, I couldn't see the paw in question when he was eating, only when he stopped and moved away from his dish. How old is your cat?

It could be something as simple as getting a bit if a cramp in his leg with the way he positions himself to eat. If that were to be the case, trying an elevated dish might be the answer.

As far as lysine, some think it helps and others don't. Another supplement to try for immune support is DMG.
Vetri DMG™ Liquid for Dogs and Cats - VetriScience
hi thank you! the twitch in the front paw happens as soon as he walks away from the bowl. it doesn’t happen during. i will try an elevated dish, thank you for the suggestion!! i’ve been reading up on lysine and saw the mixed reviews, i’ll look into this one!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of my cats (also a black cat!) does this with some regularity. I always take it to mean he's done and wants no more of whatever food is in his bowl. Kind of like "ok, enough of this slop. If you can't give me filet mignon, then I'm leaving" :lol:

My guy is now 15 and has been doing this his entire life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats (also a black cat!) does this with some regularity. I always take it to mean he's done and wants no more of whatever food is in his bowl. Kind of like "ok, enough of this slop. If you can't give me filet mignon, then I'm leaving" :lol:

My guy is now 15 and has been doing this his entire life.
that makes me feel so much better lol. it usually is after he leaves some food too especially when it’s newer food because he happily takes the treats lol. thanks so much!