Cat paw has little black things? gunk?

piggichx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is currently a year and a half old. He all of a sudden started to get gunk stuck between his paws and now the fur is stuck and has black things stuck to his toe beans. I think they are super sensitive because he licks them often and he walks with a slight limp. Ive already changed his litter type, because it used to get stuck to his paws and thats what caused this. Anyone know how to make this better? It’s also only the front paws. He is overall a super healthy cat, just recently started showing these issues. He still really loves his food.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! If you happen to have a checkup coming up for him - soon since he's limping, have the vet look at it and see if they can remove the gunk - there's no real safe way, or other way that he'd tolerate (such as soaking his feet) that I can think of.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

piggichx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve just sent an email to the vet to get an appointment, but just wanted to see if anyone had similar experience. He actually will let me soak his feet but I just don’t know what with, and what would help. But thank you!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be a skin infection/fungus. If he'll let you swab it with apple cider vinegar, give that a try. But if it continues he'll probably need prescription meds.

piggichx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think i will try that. Should I dilute with some water? I think he will let me dip his whole paw in a bowl of it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That probably does need to be looked at by a vet. But, in the meantime, you could try chamomile tea bags - standard grocery store varieties which are almost always German (you don't want English, or any additives or flavorings). Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid, then use cotton balls or a soft cloth to wash his feet - if he will actually let you soak them in it for a minute, all the better. You can wipe off the drippings if need be. The tea has both soothing and healing properties, and is an anti-fungal/anti-bacterial agent as well. It is also safe to let him lick it off of his paws. You can do this multiple times a day. And, by all means, don't let him outside until you get this resolved.

piggichx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. That probably does need to be looked at by a vet. But, in the meantime, you could try chamomile tea bags - standard grocery store varieties which are almost always German (you don't want English, or any additives or flavorings). Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid, then use cotton balls or a soft cloth to wash his feet - if he will actually let you soak them in it for a minute, all the better. You can wipe off the drippings if need be. The tea has both soothing and healing properties, and is an anti-fungal/anti-bacterial agent as well. It is also safe to let him lick it off of his paws. You can do this multiple times a day. And, by all means, don't let him outside until you get this resolved.
I will try this tomorrow and I have already sent an email out to the vet. He is also an indoor cat, never stepped foot outside which is why i think its the litter he was using 😔