Cat passed away at vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:heart3: ((((((((:kitty: )))))))):heart3:  Fly free, whole, healthy, and forever Loved, sweet beauty Athena!  

Heartfelt condolences for your loss.  How very many I have endured! so while I can't know exactly how you feel, I do empathize with your pain and loss.

Over the years, I have lost one cat to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which is a heart condition; I have lost another very suddenly and unexpectedly to what was probably a brain aneurism; another had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and I elected for his vet to assist in his ascendance; and one sweet little girl passed away while at her vet for a very bad respiratory infection. 

There is never an easy way to understand what is simply beyond our understanding.  In time, may you find comfort in the many sweet memories of your time together with Tina, and in the knowledge that she watches over you, healthy and Loved, until you are reunited in due time. :vibes: :alright:
Thank you very much for your kind words and the sharing of some of your experiences. Again, I'm happy to know I'm not alone. I guess I always just thought my babies were invincible. So silly of me to think that. I'm slowly starting to accept she is gone, or come to terms with it. It'll be two weeks tomorrow, and though I still tear up, I think the happy memories are what's keeping me afloat. Whenever I go out to her grave, that's when it truly hits me and I cry, but being in here with all my other rugrats and taking care of them.. that's helping too. I found an old video from a couple years ago with Tina mostly in it, we were putting up our Christmas tree and her fat self was laying on one of the branches on the floor, gnawing away at it, her arms wrapped ever so tightly around it. She was such a cute cat and I'm so happy to have spent five years with her, and grateful I found some old videos of her. Fly high, TEEEEENAAA

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How I empathize.  This year, we lost three in four months.  Having been born into a family "with cat", there has rarely been a time in my life when I have been catless (and never by choice).  I also visit my beloveds' resting places and I have seven inside with me, in their urns.  Many others are at rest in other places where I have lived.  All, though, are up there watching over us, until we are reunited in due time.  It is a comfort, but not completely, as they are so much missed in their physical forms here on earth. 

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How I empathize.  This year, we lost three in four months.  Having been born into a family "with cat", there has rarely been a time in my life when I have been catless (and never by choice).  I also visit my beloveds' resting places and I have seven inside with me, in their urns.  Many others are at rest in other places where I have lived.  All, though, are up there watching over us, until we are reunited in due time.  It is a comfort, but not completely, as they are so much missed in their physical forms here on earth. 
I don't know how you've gone through so many, I am so sorry. I'm absolutely terrified to say good bye to all the ones I have now, all 14. I'm extremely close to a few of them, Athena wasn't one of them, as she was sort of a loner, loved other cats, loved people, but mostly loved her alone time, and it still absolutely destroyed me, holding her lifeless body and putting her into the earth. I kept looking at her, hoping she would start moving or breathing, hoping it was an awful mistake and she was still with us. I just don't know what I'm going to do when my other babies pass. I can't even think about it, it absolutely breaks my heart. My cat Orbit has helped me mourn and heal over the loss of my childhood cat and best friend, Mittens, ten years ago, as it has taken me years to come to terms with it, and not even entirely. He looks just like him and I swear he was sent to me to help me move on. He's my gentle angel kitty and I will absolutely die when he leaves me. Life is so painful.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have exactly the same thoughts when my beloveds pass, wishing that it would be all a mistake and that they would suddenly wake up, healthy and warm.  It is just the most difficult thing to deal with -- much more difficult, for me, than when human loved ones pass.  But having come from a family whose members, on both sides and going back forever as far as I know, have always rescued and loved and lived with cats, it's my "policy" to open my heart and my home to another deserving cat when I am able, because "rescued" has always been my favorite "breed" and I work daily advocating for cats needing loving forever homes.  It is not "replacing" -- each is unique and loved for who (s)he is, as with humans -- but rather sharing that love with another who is in need of it.  This helps to heal some of the pain of loss, too.  

Last edited:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have exactly the same thoughts when my beloveds pass, wishing that it would be all a mistake and that they would suddenly wake up, healthy and warm.  It is just the most difficult thing to deal with -- much more difficult, for me, than when human loved ones pass.  But having come from a family whose members, on both sides and going back forever as far as I know, have always rescued and loved and lived with cats, it's my "policy" to open my heart and my home to another deserving cat when I am able, because "rescued" has always been my favorite "breed" and I work daily advocating for cats needing loving forever homes.  It is not "replacing" -- each is unique and loved for who (s)he is, as with humans -- but rather sharing that love with another who is in need of it.  This helps to heal some of the pain of loss, too.  
I agree 100%. I can deal with family members dying way easier than I can with my beautiful little felines. I'm not entirely sure why that is, but probably because they are our children; we give them shelter, food, warmth, love, and take care of them when they are sick. Humans are mostly self-sufficient for a very large part of their lives, whereas giving love and care for animals is a lifelong commitment, no matter the health status of each one. They will always need cared for. So I guess when we lose one, we naturally feel like we have failed them (or so that's how I feel with Athena since she passed so suddenly) like we didn't carry out our duties as responsible caregivers. Constantly thinking to yourself, "what could've I have done to have made this turn out differently? Where did I go wrong?," and of course the blame game, blaming ourselves because we are the ones who are responsible for the well-being of our cats, to know what we should and should not do with them, know their temperaments and all that. So yeah, I know this was my fault, it was entirely with good intent though. I wanted her to get checked out, make sure she wasn't sick. I figured having a vet handling her would be easier on her since they know what they're doing, but I guess I was wrong. I just have so much guilt. I always assumed she still had a good 9, 10, 11+ years with us. I never once thought I'd lose my Athena at age 5. I just really can't believe it. I understand she isn't here, but it just doesn't feel real..
And yes, I have always rescued cats from outside. They usually end up at my doorstep or in my path of life in some way, shape, or form. And I diligently take them in and nurse them to health and give them a forever home. Most of my cats I have now are rescued, others came from people who were giving kittens away and I couldn't resist them. Either way, I have taken care of them the best I can and give them immense amounts of love. They're my sweet angels and I would do anything for them. Anything.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being a spiritual person, it is my belief and conviction that all goodness comes from the Creator and all less-than-good comes from humans.  That said, there is so much we just do not know or cannot do.  I will always be haunted by many "what if's" but at the end of the day, I really believe in the cliche'd "Let go, let (the Creator)".  I truly believe that each and every one of us, of whatever species, is born Loved, and that certainly the most innocent and blameless, which includes ALL cats, are always Loved.  We do not know why suffering occurs and we want to be able to alleviate it, to be sure.  But when we cannot, I find it is helpful to reflect on these things and to know that the lives of our beloved ones are/have been immeasurably better because of our love and care.  I have lost loved ones at very young age (one from FIP,  two that my then-husband would not let me bring inside, murdered by dogs), I have lost them "before their time" to Mast cell lymphoma, pneumonia, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy -- I could go on and on.  None of us knows why life is seemingly so unjust, except that in many cases, we as human beings have choices, and we do not always make the best ones (not necessarily speaking of individuals here, but rather, societies that prioritize other things over protection and respect of the most vulnerable).  

Knowing that our love comes from the heart, and that our intentions are the very best, is sometimes what we must remember and be comforted by.  

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say that I took a stray to the vet today for his shots and to schedule his appointment for neutering and to fix a small hernia he has.
We ended up in the same room where Athena passed away. I wasn't there when it happened, but still knowing that is where my kitty took her last breath, it hurt, but I also thought there was a reason we were in there. Not sure the reason, but just because. And then on our way out the door, a dog for called to the back, her name.. Athena. It's funny how life works. I'd like to think maybe Athena did that, or a higher power, just to say she still is here in our hearts and will show herself in strange ways. I nearly cried when they said the name Athena. One of the receptionists, she was there two weeks ago when Athena passed away, she turned to us and apologised about that. It did make me sad, but like I said, I think maybe it was Tina showing herself in another way, so that made me happy. Oh, how I miss her little button nose.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that feeling, so many times every day.  Not one room in this house is without its share of happy, sweet, silly, funny, and/or sad memories.  

In my experience and beliefs, our loved ones who have gone on ahead certainly watch over us and we will be reunited with them in due time.  All of them want us to share the love and comfort we shared with them, with others who deserve the same.  It is never "replacing" a loved one, but rather extending and enlarging that love and comfort for others.  In so doing, we, too, are helped and healed and comforted.  

We had just lost our beloved Simba some years back, and were at the vet with our beloved Sun, who had dry-form FIP and needed monthly checkups and medications.  While there, one of the vet techs told me of rescuing a family of four kittens in her location; all were adopted, including one by her, except for one.  Did we want to meet her?  No, I said; it was too soon.  But I reconsidered quickly.  Once we went to the back and met the little girl, all by herself,  a voice within told me to "take this kitten home and give her all the love you gave me!*  Of course, it was Simba angel, whose love was immeasurable.  

That kitten, Rani, graced my life for 19 years until she ascended on 29 June.  Here she is.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know that feeling, so many times every day.  Not one room in this house is without its share of happy, sweet, silly, funny, and/or sad memories.  

In my experience and beliefs, our loved ones who have gone on ahead certainly watch over us and we will be reunited with them in due time.  All of them want us to share the love and comfort we shared with them, with others who deserve the same.  It is never "replacing" a loved one, but rather extending and enlarging that love and comfort for others.  In so doing, we, too, are helped and healed and comforted.  

We had just lost our beloved Simba some years back, and were at the vet with our beloved Sun, who had dry-form FIP and needed monthly checkups and medications.  While there, one of the vet techs told me of rescuing a family of four kittens in her location; all were adopted, including one by her, except for one.  Did we want to meet her?  No, I said; it was too soon.  But I reconsidered quickly.  Once we went to the back and met the little girl, all by herself,  a voice within told me to "take this kitten home and give her all the love you gave me!*  Of course, it was Simba angel, whose love was immeasurable.  

That kitten, Rani, graced my life for 19 years until she ascended on 29 June.  Here she is.

That's such a beautiful story. It actually made me tear up a bit. And such a sweetheart your ascended Rani looks! I've always wanted a long-haired black and white cat. So lovely. I agree 100% about then watching over us. I believe it with all of my heart. I'm sure all your sweet darlings are with you all the time in different forms and energy, as I'm sure mine are as well.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much.  Yes, she was absolutely gorgeous.  I always called her "The Most Gorgeous Creature In The Known Universe (and the Sweetest)".  When our vet met her for the first time, I had told him her name before opening up the carrier.  He being Indian, laughed delightedly and said, "What else?" when he saw her ("Rani" translates in English to female royalty).  She loved being adored, too.  

Absolutely, our beloved ones -- of all species -- watch over us! and we look forward to reuniting with them in due time.  

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So we have a new guy coming round.. he looks eerily similar to Athena. We have decided to name him Athens Julius in Athena's honour. Hopefully he has a bright future ahead of him in our care. We just have to get him used to us first. The best we can do is put food out for him for now. If this is a sign from the universe or from Athena, thank you.