Cat panting while bathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat 7 months old it's very hot where we live,the temperature is around 38°c,99°F
And my cat pants when he goes outside

I bathe him for the first time 9 days ago with Luke warm water for the first time and he started shivering but not typical shivering, like shivering from the inside,like his muscles me moving
So I thought maybe the Luke warm water is cold for him

Then my cat came home yesterday after his daily adventures covered in dirt and mud so I bathe him with hotter water and this time he was not only shivering but also panting this time,after 3-4 min in between the bath and I still had shampoo on him so I had to be real quick ,I didn't know if I should have stopped the moment he started panting coz he still had the product on ? (What should I have done?)

Even today my cat came wet I saw some scratch Mark's on his body which means someone attacked him I gave him 10 mins to calm down I couldn't wait more coz he was licking the mud and that's not good for him so I took him to the shower and bathe him again with hotter water 98-99°C he wasn't shivering this time but he started panting again,within like 5 mins,I don't know why it happened or what's the problem we don't have good vets here, they barely pick up our call,so please help us and maybe if you could ask your vet anything about this please do.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats pant when they are really scared. Mine sometimes pant when I put them in the carrier and put them in the car.

I'm guessing your little guy is panting when getting a bath because most cats do not like water and it's just foreign to them being covered in water. If you can't brush off the dirt as suggested above, at least place a towel or something he can sink he claws into in the bottom of the sink before getting him wet. That way he can feel more comfortable because he won't be slipping and sliding around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats pant when they are really scared. Mine sometimes pant when I put them in the carrier and put them in the car.

I'm guessing your little guy is panting when getting a bath because most cats do not like water and it's just foreign to them being covered in water. If you can't brush off the dirt as suggested above, at least place a towel or something he can sink he claws into in the bottom of the sink before getting him wet. That way he can feel more comfortable because he won't be slipping and sliding around.
That's what I did he doesn't panic or anything,he doesn't attack me,but he goes to the door looking for a space to escape from the entire time,he was attacked by some cat,came home really dirty so I had to bathe him,now my furball has fever,I feel so guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.