Cat pad injury please help!!

oscar14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So two weeks ago i noticed that my cats toe was cut up, very swollen and he was limping on it every now and then. since then i have been trying to keep it clean the best i can but it doesn't seem to be getting any better in fact it seems like its getting worse ive tryed wrapping his foot up but he of course would not let me and at this point i just dont know what to do and unfortunately money is tight right now so i can not take him to the vet so if anyone has any suggestions at all on what to do they will be greatly appreciated

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two weeks ago? I would try to get to the vet as soon as possible. It sounds very painful and inconvenient, and not only is he trying to get around the house with it, but he's going in and out of litter and pawing the bury dirty litter with excrement in it. No matter how diligent we are, paws are quite difficult to keep clean. The last thing you need is for that paw to get infected, which may already be the case. The sooner you can get medical attention to him, the better.

Do whatever is necessary - put the appointment on credit card; apply for CareCredit; ask a vet about a payment plan; offer a down payment lump sum; ask, beg, borrow, and plead; forgo simple regular things you may indulge yourself in like a morning coffee or eating out and the money can accumulate faster than you realize.

If he's not showing any other signs, he may just need a visit and some antibiotics. You probably won't have to worry about hundreds of dollars worth of testing - most vets know it's not worth the extra stress if an animal has an immediate need, which in this case is his paw. I wouldn't leave this up to chance, nor rely on being able to resolve it myself.

When You Can't Afford a Veterinarian

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta
So two weeks ago i noticed that my cats toe was cut up, very swollen and he was limping on it every now and then. since then i have been trying to keep it clean the best i can but it doesn't seem to be getting any better in fact it seems like its getting worse ive tryed wrapping his foot up but he of course would not let me and at this point i just dont know what to do and unfortunately money is tight right now so i can not take him to the vet so if anyone has any suggestions at all on what to do they will be greatly appreciated
you can at least get a free exam at VCA or Banfield if they are near you. links below

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oscar14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i am taking him to dakin humane society to get him neutered for free, do you know if they would they be willing to do a free exam when i take him??

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am taking him to dakin humane society to get him neutered for free, do you know if they would they be willing to do a free exam when i take him??
Hi and welcome to the forum, oscar14 !

I would urge you to be very leary about these "free exams" offered by private Vet clinics.....I've lived long enough to have learned that nothing in life is "free" - but, people still fall for this gimmick all the time.

In particular I would be more than wary of any service offered by Banfield........perhaps you should read someone else's experience posted a few days ago: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/294351/banfield-pet-hospital    (@dutmut - that thread might give you some pause for reflection in terms of "referrals").

oscar14 - you're going to be getting help from the humane society anyway.....why not go see them tomorrow, maybe even bring the cat along, and see what they might be able to suggest....if I were you, I'd probably ask to speak with the Director or manager (and, if I was asked why, I'd say "well, it's really very private") - just in case the reception people are trained to just say "no" to people requesting financial help. I doubt very much if a director/manager would turn you down in those circumstances, especially with your cat 'in tow'. But, go in person - don't just phone....it makes all the difference. Another point: if you 'rescued' this cat, I think that would be a point in your favor.....you have already saved the HS from having to fully manage another stray cat's welfare. (this is why HS's promote fostering!) Look, the absolute very worst outcome would be that they say no.....that's unlikely IMO, I suspect they'd send you off to a Vet they have a relationship with. Anyways, just go see them !

Hope that helps!

(you know, pix would be nice...we never refuse those...oh, and a name too!)

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta

Hi and welcome to the forum, oscar14 !

I would urge you to be very leary about these "free exams" offered by private Vet clinics.....I've lived long enough to have learned that nothing in life is "free" - but, people still fall for this gimmick all the time.

In particular I would be more than wary of any service offered by Banfield........perhaps you should read someone else's experience posted a few days ago: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/294351/banfield-pet-hospital    (@dutmut - that thread might give you some pause for reflection in terms of "referrals").

oscar14 - you're going to be getting help from the humane society anyway.....why not go see them tomorrow, maybe even bring the cat along, and see what they might be able to suggest....if I were you, I'd probably ask to speak with the Director or manager (and, if I was asked why, I'd say "well, it's really very private") - just in case the reception people are trained to just say "no" to people requesting financial help. I doubt very much if a director/manager would turn you down in those circumstances, especially with your cat 'in tow'. But, go in person - don't just phone....it makes all the difference. Another point: if you 'rescued' this cat, I think that would be a point in your favor.....you have already saved the HS from having to fully manage another stray cat's welfare. (this is why HS's promote fostering!) Look, the absolute very worst outcome would be that they say no.....that's unlikely IMO, I suspect they'd send you off to a Vet they have a relationship with. Anyways, just go see them !

Hope that helps!

(you know, pix would be nice...we never refuse those...oh, and a name too!)
i am 52 years old, and i've had people take advantage of these free exams and were happy. yes, only the exam is free but not the tests, meds, procedures, etc. a free exam is better than no exam. 

i'll continue to make recommendations as i see fit.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible he may have something in the pad which must come out. You really should try to get him to a vet. Are you bathing the paw?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oscar14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been bathing them and it looks like some of the cuts are starting to heal but it seems as if more are poping up out of nowhere is it possible hes recutting his paw on accident while trying to clean it himself?