Cat paces and won’t rest when on painkillers

jennielouises

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My poor baby has had a flare up of her arthritis and is on pain killers. Every single time she’s given them or gaberpentin by the vet they tell us she will be sleepy. But every single time she ends up restless, pacing the room back and forth with large pupils. Does anyone else’s cat do that? How comes it doesn’t make her sleepy?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
While it is less common, gabapentin in cats can cause the opposite to the desired effect. Cats can become restless, anxious, or hyperactive. Your vet really needs to address this. It sounds as if he has continued to prescribe gabapentin despite the reaction.

I have used gabapentin a lot in cats and dogs and never experienced what you are describing. My cat vet actually says that it is as much of a sedative as a pain killer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennielouises

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. This isn’t gabapentin, it’s just that does it too. This is buprenorphine. I just couldn’t remember the name either. But both do this to her

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Sedatives can "reverse", so talk to your vet about this. I wonder if she paces and is restless if she is getting any pain killing effect from the drugs.

jennielouises

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sedatives can "reverse", so talk to your vet about this. I wonder if she paces and is restless if she is getting any pain killing effect from the drugs.
Oh she’s definitely getting pain relief. You can just tell she is. Her tail is back up, she’s interesting in food again yet. I did find it can make cats agitated so I think that’s what it’s doing

jennielouises

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s still like it. The vets just say give her more drugs! She hasn’t slept since Wednesday. I don’t know what to do

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s still like it. The vets just say give her more drugs! She hasn’t slept since Wednesday. I don’t know what to do
Did the vet give her the sustained release form of buprenorphine (Simbadol)? Some cats don't react too well to that one at all, not only because of the sustained release/24-hour aspect of it but also because it is, I think, a higher concentration of buprenorphine (1.8 mg/ml).

Maybe you can contact the vet and see if he/she can prescribe a dose of bupe that is lower in concentration. When I've had to give a cat of mine bupe, I did the subQ version at just 0.3 mg/ml concentration. It can also be given orally, you just need the vet to give you pre-prepped syringes (either meant for the oral or the subQ administration).
Injectable Buprenex? Experiences?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest a second opinion since your vet doesn't seem to be concerned and you are.. There are other options that might work better for your kitty.

obsessedfelinelover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey - curious how your cat ended up doing on the Buprenorphine? Mine received an injection at the emergency vet 2 days and he still hasn't slept either...he eats well and paces around, just sits and stares into space but at the same time extremely loving when you approach him and wants to rub his face on everything. He was seen for cystitis, stil in the diagnosing stages for that, but I have yet to hear him pee! He's pooped but I can't see to catch him to urinate which is what started this whole mess. He got a UTI 2 1/2 weeks ago that seemed to "not clear" but thinking it did and he's stressed himself out to this point now. I'm wondering when will these effects of this pain killer wear off? It's been 48 hours since he's slept.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
OP has not been back since March; I replied to your other post and suggested that you call the vet as was suggested, especially regarding the lack of urination.

Chippery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try petwellbeing life gold or detox gold drops, look up some detox supplements to get rid of the pain killer.
petwellbeing has a very good kidney support drops as well.
Probiotic, salmon oil; add pinch of human capsule humic fulvic acid to help detox with the probiotic
We've also used CBD with great success at nighttime.