Cat owner for 30+ years VS. the vet

Vulky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. Long time cat owner here to rant a little and hopefully get a little advice.
I've been taking care of cats for a long time and almost all of them have lived to be teenagers.
We have four cats, two "euthanasia list un-adoptables" Tippy and Cornflake, ages 11 and 6 and two peaceful boys with FIV, Wilbur and Mr. Black, ages 6 and 17.
The two boys with FIV have neurological issues - and I think this was the start of my trouble. Because of this we cannot use any of the most recently released flea control products because they affect the nervous system. We have used Frontline Plus sparingly, but successfully along with diligent house cleaning and yard spray for many years. Until now. I applied Frontline at the beginning of August, it barely lasted two weeks and burned and blistered the cats' skin. Because my vets no longer carry it I purchased it at Walmart - checking with the company shows that it was legitimate product. The representative says the product hasn't changed and yet this is the first time I've had these issues.
Because we were scared to reapply the product before a month was over we started to apply diatomaceous earth to try and hold out until the beginning of the next month. The fleas are still here and we are trying to flea comb them out daily finding four or five fleas a day per cat. Bathing would be great but is an issue for two of our cats that all but have a nervous breakdown from it. Then about the time we were starting to deeply the house with vacuum cleaners and massive amounts of laundry washing, our 17-year-old FIV boy and the 6-year-old new guy, Cornflake, stopped eating their food. The old guy sort of got over it in a few days, but Cornflake started vomiting every time he attempted to eat and frequently door darted to run out to the yard to try to eat massive amounts of grass.
We thought maybe it was just nerves from the cleaning until the constant vomiting started - and thinking maybe we just had a bad batch of food or food that was damaged in the recent heat wave, I resorted to my default of using my instant pot to make plain chicken and rice to feed instead of regular food for a while. But when he started looking dehydrated with a bloated stomach we went off to the vets.
Then the comedy of errors that's not so funny began.
We don't have a lot of money, our vet knows this, the only reason we have the two "new" cats is because a friend asked us to save them and try to find them new homes, which in this day and age is impossible, so right or wrong they get what they get for as long as we can afford to keep them.
We have no medical history for Cornflake but we do know he's really bad for eating things he shouldn't, mostly plants, which we keep him away from, but he will even lick grass clippings off of shoes if you don't watch him.
We told the vet this and we told him our suspicions about bad food and our experiences with fleas and Frontline. He palpitated the cat and decided he needed an x-ray to see if he had a blockage, which we agreed to.
$300 and several x-rays later he decided all that he could see from x-rays was an inflamed small intestine, and that what he really needed was a barium contrast x-ray, that was going to be another $800 on top of the $300. If he had started with the radium contrast x-rays we may have been willing to pay that but having already spent $300 on regular x-rays we asked for alternatives, as we barely afford to keep $1,000 in emergency money for everyone, not just cats.
He then suggested an anti-nausea shot, intravenous fluids under the skin, and a bag of science diet ID. And to take the cat home and feed him the science diet and see how he was in a couple days. He also recommended we feed the ID to our other cat that had recently had a loss of appetite. He also gave me a very long lecture on how my homemade food wasn't a good idea because I "didn't understand what kind of fiber to protein to fat ratio was appropriate for the cat because each cat is different" and a whole lot of other stuff that just sounded like rambling after a while.
So we took Cornflake home, separated he and Mr Black from the other two and fed them the science diet that we were assured we didn't need to transition from the old food to, even though that doesn't make sense to me from years of cat owning experience.
They eagerly ate the food because it was new. And Cornflake was no longer nauseous but he continued to not "look right" to me. He managed to pass two big mostly solid poops, one of which looked like the new food, and plenty of urine, so we hoped that he was on the mend. But 48 hours later he looked even worse and refused to eat or drink, and he started hiding.
So we went back to the vets for more fluid and another anti-nausea shot, which did absolutely nothing, the poor guy still looks so poorly that we called the vet today and told him we were going to give him one good weekend and euthanize him next week provided he did not act like he was suffering or in pain, if he did we would be in for an emergency euthanasia.
Upon hearing that the vet suddenly had a number of suggestions of other things that might be the problem, including cancer and pancreatitis, or IBS, or severe allergies, and suggested that an inexpensive treatment that would relieve his pain and possibly give his intestine a chance to recover would be a steroid shot. Another thing that I kind of feel should have been suggested the first time around, kind of like maybe we should have started with a barium contrast if a regular x-ray had any chance of not working. I told him I'd let him know.
Then, our 17-year-old FIV boy, Mr Black, who is really too old and frail to get sick without severe consequences, started having painful explosive diarrhea, I'm assuming from the science diet that he was suddenly changed to because the vet assured me I did not need to do a transition. His stools before this were perfectly formed and very solid. He just lacked appetite for his regular amount of food.
And although this is getting very long winded I would also like to make note that I repeatedly asked the vet for help with the flea situation which got me a long description of how flea products work and how Frontline was no good anymore but that I couldn't use any of the products he currently carries on my two cats with neurological issues, with no suggestion as to what I should do with them.
So now I am at my wit's end. I have no idea what to feed my cats. Cornflake will eat tiny teaspoon sized amounts of food at a time. He has not thrown up even though his shot has worn off. But he still doesn't look right to me and he is still bloated and hiding most of the time. When he does come out he wants to go outside I am sure to try and eat grass which he is not allowed to do. I am terrified for my old FIV boy Mr Black. I also have no idea what to feed him. In the past it would be the chicken and rice mix until his stomach settles down maybe with fortiflora sprinkled on top. Then a gradual return to his normal food. But I've received a very long vet's lecture with an awful lot of scientific terms telling me why that is not right even though it has worked for me for more than 20 years. I have no idea if my other cat food is safe. Or damaged from the heat and the cause of these problems. It's all mail ordered so I can't just go to the store and buy more in our rural area. Oh, and also, tonight both Cornflake and Mr Black have decided they no longer like the science diet ID. So now neither one of them are eating anything.
And I am still battling fleas, with no inkling as to what to do about them. I hate to torment my cats with more blistering and skin irritation but I also can't have fleas over-running the entire house. I also don't know if the bad reaction to the Frontline is part of the issue with the loss of appetite!
I've had a mini nervous breakdown over all of this and spent most of the day crying while I wash my cat beds and vacuum my rooms.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a simple solution, one that would help the FiV cats immensely, keep tehm strictly indoors. Once you get rid of teh fleas, NO MORE IN THE HOUSE!
My inside cats were born outside but since their diagnosis of Leukemia, FeLV, almost 4 years ago, they have been indoors. I give them all DMG and LifeGold every AM. It really helps their immune systems. i have outside cats also.
You know your acts best. I don't even take my inside cats into the vets anymore, too big a chance tehy could pick something up. I do stay in touch with my vet. There comes a time when it is too much money and too stressful on the cats. my cats were 'days' from death and somehow pulled through, eating a couple of licks of Delectable Lickables a day. i wish you well and send good wishes your way to get help here you need!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might suggest seeing a different vet for a second opinion, if you have that option, since you say you are rural. You really do have your hands full, and I hope it all works out well for all your kitties.

I previously had two indoor only cats who had fleas. I thought Swanie had hurt his back because he didn't like me touching him there, acted like he was in pain. I took him the vet, and she said it was fleas. I was shocked. She said they can come inside on your clothing or however they get in. I do not use flea chemicals on my cats (or clean with chemicals), but I found a method for getting rid of them both in the house and on the cats. On the cats it involved boiling water and dawn detergent (Not to put ON the cat). Comb the cat and dip the comb with fleas in the water to kill them. It took a while, poor Swanie had a lot of fleas on him, but it worked and they never got fleas again, nor have my current cats gotten them so far (knock on wood).

For food, have you tried something like Royal Canin Vet Diet Recovery RS canned food? We had a cat who had FIP, and this was before it was treatable. To try to keep her as comfortable as possible for as long as possible, we would use a syringe to put a bit of this food on her tongue, and usually she would eventually eat some of it on her own. (She would also readily eat catnip flavored cat treats and got as many as she wanted, but that's another story).

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
" In the past it would be the chicken and rice mix until his stomach settles down maybe with fortiflora sprinkled on top. Then a gradual return to his normal food. But I've received a very long vet's lecture with an awful lot of scientific terms telling me why that is not right even though it has worked for me for more than 20 years"

I am not a vet, nor do I have any veterinary training. But for me, this would be the deal breaker. Scientific studies on nutrition are great for long term feeding, but I tend to go by my own results first and foremost. If the chicken and rice mix is a short term "temporary" diet, and it works, I personally would do what I know works.

As far as the fleas, I started this thread (Beneficial nematodes for flea control) in the spring. My cats have a catio with grass, and so far this summer I have not had a problem. Do your cats have an enclosed area they frequent, or is it the entire yard?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with the above about how to treat Mr. Black with your chicken/rice food. Get him back on track - your way - and give him back his 'old' food afterward. Maybe you can buy some of the nutritional pastes to add calories to his diet or see if he will eat some baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) if you can get it, as a supplemental meal. There are anywhere between 70-90 calories in a 2.5-ounce jar. All but the chicken version, due to a calcium conflict, can be made nutritionally complete by adding EZ Complete to them. I do this for my 19+yo cat to keep her caloric intake up.

I don't know what to suggest for Cornflake, other than the steroid shot to see if you can get some sort of 'balance' back in him, which should make it easier to figure out how to move forward with food. Anti-nausea meds, and maybe even an appetite stimulant, might be warranted if the steroid shot doesn't seem to help with his appetite. Did they do bloodwork?

There may be some degree of truth about Frontline Plus not being as effective in some areas, as is the case with what I call the other 'older', but safe flea topical - Advantage II. If Frontline has become less effective in your area, maybe Advantage II still works? I'd try it next. Neither of these two products have changed, to my knowledge, or at least not the active ingredients in them. Both, like all flea meds, contain inactive ingredients though, and any one of those could have changed and no one would know it as the companies never list the details related to the inactive ingredients. Advantage II can even be applied again within two weeks when fighting an infestation, and then reduced again to monthly once the fleas are under control.

Flea sprays for the yard may also be necessary. Most of them are safe for animals once the application has dried, usually within an hour or so. I also use Precor 2000 inside my house on carpet/rugs. If used as directed, it dries in no time, and I have only kept my cat out of the room I am spraying for about an hour.

Hopefully more members will come along and add to the suggestions you have already gotten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vulky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a simple solution, one that would help the FiV cats immensely, keep tehm strictly indoors. Once you get rid of teh fleas, NO MORE IN THE HOUSE!
My inside cats were born outside but since their diagnosis of Leukemia, FeLV, almost 4 years ago, they have been indoors. I give them all DMG and LifeGold every AM. It really helps their immune systems. i have outside cats also.
You know your acts best. I don't even take my inside cats into the vets anymore, too big a chance tehy could pick something up. I do stay in touch with my vet. There comes a time when it is too much money and too stressful on the cats. my cats were 'days' from death and somehow pulled through, eating a couple of licks of Delectable Lickables a day. i wish you well and send good wishes your way to get help here you need!
Thanks so much for your reply and well wishes, the furkids appreciate it- unfortunately where I live there is enough wildlife to make it possible to track fleas inside even if the cats stay in. We spray the yard and around the outside of the house because of this and don't usually have a problem, but this year the fleas won, I guess.
I've never tried lifegold, but any attempts to add DMG to their diets have failed, same with lysine, which thankfully is in many foods these days.
I'm with you on avoiding the vet, but don't have any in the area that will even advise without an office visit. I used to have a vet like that, who would even let me handle all meds myself with just a phone call, but he moved on to greener pastures. I get the feeling these days my cats only matter to the vet as dollar signs.

Vulky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I might suggest seeing a different vet for a second opinion, if you have that option, since you say you are rural. You really do have your hands full, and I hope it all works out well for all your kitties.

I previously had two indoor only cats who had fleas. I thought Swanie had hurt his back because he didn't like me touching him there, acted like he was in pain. I took him the vet, and she said it was fleas. I was shocked. She said they can come inside on your clothing or however they get in. I do not use flea chemicals on my cats (or clean with chemicals), but I found a method for getting rid of them both in the house and on the cats. On the cats it involved boiling water and dawn detergent (Not to put ON the cat). Comb the cat and dip the comb with fleas in the water to kill them. It took a while, poor Swanie had a lot of fleas on him, but it worked and they never got fleas again, nor have my current cats gotten them so far (knock on wood).

For food, have you tried something like Royal Canin Vet Diet Recovery RS canned food? We had a cat who had FIP, and this was before it was treatable. To try to keep her as comfortable as possible for as long as possible, we would use a syringe to put a bit of this food on her tongue, and usually she would eventually eat some of it on her own. (She would also readily eat catnip flavored cat treats and got as many as she wanted, but that's another story).
Yes! The hot water dawn and flea comb method is what I am doing thought it feels as though it takes forever and my oldest guy hates being groomed.
If the royal canine is a prescription food, I have no way to get it. Local vet only carries a tiny variety of science diet and won't let me have permission to order else where. All other vets are half an hour plus away and are the same way. Rural Iowa sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vulky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As far as the fleas, I started this thread (Beneficial nematodes for flea control) in the spring. My cats have a catio with grass, and so far this summer I have not had a problem. Do your cats have an enclosed area they frequent, or is it the entire yard?
Thanks for the reply and link! We use nematodes successfully but either the heat or the drought that's come with it seems to have stopped them this year. We use a spray around doorways and windows just on the outside. We haven't had fleas this bad in years.
Our cats have a large catio with grass on the side of our garage that we soak in nematodes, but again, this year they just haven't worked.
So far, I am sticking with the chicken and rice for the sickly boys, but boy, do I hate that the only vet in this town just chips away at my confidence in my years of experience with his "the new science is better and says you're wrong" speeches. It wears me out. After my guys are over the rainbow bridge, hopefully years from now, I'm refusing any new pets unless I move far, far away first!

Vulky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above about how to treat Mr. Black with your chicken/rice food. Get him back on track - your way - and give him back his 'old' food afterward. Maybe you can buy some of the nutritional pastes to add calories to his diet or see if he will eat some baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) if you can get it, as a supplemental meal. There are anywhere between 70-90 calories in a 2.5-ounce jar. All but the chicken version, due to a calcium conflict, can be made nutritionally complete by adding EZ Complete to them. I do this for my 19+yo cat to keep her caloric intake up.

I don't know what to suggest for Cornflake, other than the steroid shot to see if you can get some sort of 'balance' back in him, which should make it easier to figure out how to move forward with food. Anti-nausea meds, and maybe even an appetite stimulant, might be warranted if the steroid shot doesn't seem to help with his appetite. Did they do bloodwork?

There may be some degree of truth about Frontline Plus not being as effective in some areas, as is the case with what I call the other 'older', but safe flea topical - Advantage II. If Frontline has become less effective in your area, maybe Advantage II still works? I'd try it next. Neither of these two products have changed, to my knowledge, or at least not the active ingredients in them. Both, like all flea meds, contain inactive ingredients though, and any one of those could have changed and no one would know it as the companies never list the details related to the inactive ingredients. Advantage II can even be applied again within two weeks when fighting an infestation, and then reduced again to monthly once the fleas are under control.

Flea sprays for the yard may also be necessary. Most of them are safe for animals once the application has dried, usually within an hour or so. I also use Precor 2000 inside my house on carpet/rugs. If used as directed, it dries in no time, and I have only kept my cat out of the room I am spraying for about an hour.

Hopefully more members will come along and add to the suggestions you have already gotten!
Thanks for the advice - I'm sticking with chicken and rice (that is mostly chicken) with Mr Black for now, and have baby food in the cat cupboard that I can add. The old boy just doesn't eat much in a sitting these days- I tend to feed him wet food by the spoonful whenever he asks.
No to the blood work for Cornflake, even though I suggested it before we started in on x-rays. The vet seemed convinced that he had to have eaten something that was stuck for some reason and went with that even though I did not try to lead him to that conclusion (I was mostly concerned with our cat food being bad). He's had two rounds of anti nausea meds with no success. Currently, he is also eating by the spoonful, with small doses of slippery elm in-between.
Advantage as far as I know, and all topical flea treatment really, has the potential to trigger seizures. I have definitely thought about switching to that though, but had stuck with Frontline because it was what I tried years ago with no issues til now.
I will look into Precor 2000, I've never heard of it. We have several sprays "for bad infestation only" use - I hate to use excess chemicals in the house unless absolutely necessary. We used to sprinkle diatomaceous earth everywhere, but found it causes URI in our old boy Mr Black. Can't win sometimes, lol.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Advantage as far as I know, and all topical flea treatment really, has the potential to trigger seizures. I have definitely thought about switching to that though but had stuck with Frontline because it was what I tried years ago with no issues til now.
The seizure-triggering flea topicals tend to the be the ones that enter the bloodstream - neither Frontline Plus nor Advantage II enter the bloodstream but are rather spread through the sebaceous glands. It is probably why many vets say they are no longer as effective as the newer products. I am currently using Advantage II on my 19+yo cat and was even applying it more frequently than just once a month when we were in the 'heat' of a flea infestation ourselves. It is the only one I have ever used on any of my cats. Some years ago, my vet suggested Feeby might have some slight neurological disorders (never confirmed), but she had gotten Adv II applied before that was mentioned, so I figured she was 'safe'. I did try Frontline Plus on her once, and I don't think the results were even as good as Adv II - at least not for our area.

We, too, had no issues with fleas until a couple of years ago, and I very infrequently applied Adv II before that. I don't think we have rid ourselves of the fleas entirely, but with Adv II and Precor 2000, along with regular vacuuming/cleaning, it seems they are under control, as much as they might ever be for us.

I don't know - maybe you would like to look through this web site for additional tips. FleaScience

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for all of this. I would just give them the chicken and rice diet if that works. as for the fleas the best way to get rid of a flea infestation is what you’re doing, which is thoroughly cleaning everything in your house- vacuum everywhere, mop floors, clean everywhere with water and vinegar, wash all bedding, clean every corner of the house…any cats that can be bathe them, and do that comb and soapy water treatment with the others.

We are currently going through a mold situation here and it is a nightmare. I have spent hours cleaning and throwing things out. I think, fingers crossed, I may finally be coming near to the end side of it. I found the main source which was an old vinyl record collection and they have all been cleaned and put in the plastic boxes, books have been thrown away, etc. floors, and walls, everything that could be treated and washed with vinegar and or alcohol.

But I keep discovering small areas where there is more and I think what happened was I steam cleaned everything after my injury because I couldn’t do normal dusting and that made the situation worse. It’s a great way to D clutter, though.

takes about a month before you get rid of them and you have to keep cleaning a lot, because that is the time cycle for when it will start up again if there are any eggs left in carpets or on floors, etc. it could take longer without a viable treatment.

I stopped using flea treatments on my cats, and I never used them at all for years even though they were indoor outdoor, we never had any fleas until I adopted my Sybil who was long hair.

Before that, I would only bathe them in summer if there was a flea. Then I started using advantage I think, I don’t know now, the one that doesn’t kill ticks because it’s safer.

But I had all of the same reactions that you’re having now with irritation to skin, and not eating as much, and two of my cats got cancer. I really regret using them now. I also got sick myself because when I put it on them on, Wizard would sleep right next to me, and sometimes it would get on my skin too.

So, I tried a lot of different natural things none of which really did anything. And then I started shaving Sybil in the spring and that fixed the problem. I pretended for years that I was still putting the treatment on her because my father used to get a terrible reaction to fleas. But little did he know I wasn’t using anything on her anymore. I was just shaving her and it worked.

Of course she was indoor outdoor and I’m not sure if your cats are going outside at all or not. My current cats don’t go outside at all and I don’t use any flea treatment on them. Knock on wood no problems.

When I brought Quinn home, he had sand fleas… that’s the first time I had any fleas in the house in years. His breeder was having a problem with an infestation and was treating her house, but he had been treated with the oral pill
but apparently it didn’t work.

So, instead of just giving him a bath, I stupidly took him to Dvm, and they put flea poison on him. He immediately started vomiting when he came home and then got diarrhea for a few months but I cured it with diet…. but I think the flea treatment did damage him so, unless I have some terrible infestation or it’s for a cat who is getting TNR who is going to come inside, I don’t use any flea treatments anymore.

With Quinn, I think they were also dietary issues going on, because after he recovered from the initial bout after the flea treatment, he would get diarrhea every time he ate Sybil's food.

I don’t know if it’s an option for you so maybe try going to another Dvm next time and see if they don’t do 50 million tests etc.. It seems like they’re all test happy because it generates a lot of revenue. My current is like that too. Either that ir they refuse to do anything depending on which one you see. We have not gone since February because I’m recovering from a fracture.

I will never forget meeting someone when I was volunteering for a rescue at petco. She told me her cat had had an anaphylactic reaction at her first Dvm visit from a vaccine. So, she never took her back to the Dvm again and never got any more shots. This cat ate dry friskies her whole life and was an indoor only… she lived until she was 22.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the reply and link! We use nematodes successfully but either the heat or the drought that's come with it seems to have stopped them this year. We use a spray around doorways and windows just on the outside. We haven't had fleas this bad in years.
Our cats have a large catio with grass on the side of our garage that we soak in nematodes, but again, this year they just haven't worked.
So far, I am sticking with the chicken and rice for the sickly boys, but boy, do I hate that the only vet in this town just chips away at my confidence in my years of experience with his "the new science is better and says you're wrong" speeches. It wears me out. After my guys are over the rainbow bridge, hopefully years from now, I'm refusing any new pets unless I move far, far away first!
I find science to be fascinating. But what it said was true 10 years ago, sometimes is found to be false today, so I always keep that in the back of my mind. I've used chicken and rice many times in my life and will continue to do so whenever someone needs it.
When did you apply the nematodes? Do you have other animals come around that could be bringing fleas into the yard?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would have Cornflake tested for pancreatitis. The symptoms you described straight up match the symptoms my boy has when he has a flare up of pancreatitis. His treatment is a round of prednisolone (steroid to stop the inflammation) and ondansetron (anti-nausea). We also got some Mirataz (appetite stimulant), but haven't had to use it. Well, I think we gave him 1 dose. If the insides are inflamed, nothing will be happy and you'll end up with inappetence due to nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, just not feeling well, picking at food, and hiding and/or lethargy. Increased water intake is common when a kitty is nauseous, too. The pancreatitis test is a blood test that takes about 40 mins to get the results of and should be able to be done in your vet's office.

Vulky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I find science to be fascinating. But what it said was true 10 years ago, sometimes is found to be false today, so I always keep that in the back of my mind. I've used chicken and rice many times in my life and will continue to do so whenever someone needs it.
When did you apply the nematodes? Do you have other animals come around that could be bringing fleas into the yard?
We applied nematodes in the spring when we had a week of rain - who knows what the neighbors thought, me watering the yard in a downpour. But since then we have had a dry summer with heat indexes up to 117⁰ and I can't afford to water the yard all summer long. And yes, even though our guys are confined to a catio or the house, we live in a small town with no animal control and have everything from stray cats to raccoons to foxes in the yard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vulky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would have Cornflake tested for pancreatitis. The symptoms you described straight up match the symptoms my boy has when he has a flare up of pancreatitis. His treatment is a round of prednisolone (steroid to stop the inflammation) and ondansetron (anti-nausea). We also got some Mirataz (appetite stimulant), but haven't had to use it. Well, I think we gave him 1 dose. If the insides are inflamed, nothing will be happy and you'll end up with inappetence due to nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, just not feeling well, picking at food, and hiding and/or lethargy. Increased water intake is common when a kitty is nauseous, too. The pancreatitis test is a blood test that takes about 40 mins to get the results of and should be able to be done in your vet's office.
Thanks so much for the input, I find all of what you have said to be fascinating, especially as our vet has reported that there is no test for pancreatitis, only diagnoses by symptoms! I am thinking he could use the shot you describe no matter what,and I am annoyed that it was not offered until we suggested he needed to be put to sleep if he couldn't recover from this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If for whatever reason the chicken and rice stops working, I'd say order some mother and Babycat from Royal Canin (not prescription), if it's not too expensive. It's meant to be super digestible.

Iams perfect portions pates are also pretty limited in ingredients and when Calcifer got sick once he would only eat the recovery food and then I had to find something the same texture and the perfect portions were it!

My cats also reacted badly to Science Diet. Very liquid poos...even my stomach of steel cat who has never needed a transition phase! I think it's really high in psyllium husk which is just too much fibre for some.

Vulky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vulky Vulky It's called the fPL Snap test. It took about 40 mins to get the results back and we waited in the office.

This is the article my vet gave me about Pancreatitis. Pancreatitis in Cats
Thank you so much! I will ask the vet, though I am tempted to travel 30 minutes to a different one and just hope the stress of travel doesn't make everything worse.

Vulky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If for whatever reason the chicken and rice stops working, I'd say order some mother and Babycat from Royal Canin (not prescription), if it's not too expensive. It's meant to be super digestible.

Iams perfect portions pates are also pretty limited in ingredients and when Calcifer got sick once he would only eat the recovery food and then I had to find something the same texture and the perfect portions were it!

My cats also reacted badly to Science Diet. Very liquid poos...even my stomach of steel cat who has never needed a transition phase! I think it's really high in psyllium husk which is just too much fibre for some.
Thank - you, I will look those up. I already order most of my food through chewy, so if I can find it there I'll give it a try. Getting him to eat at all is different right now.