cat outside all the time, stray?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well she slept in the house all night last night for the first time. She was in my garage again, and I let her in. The dogs had already gone to bed so she didn't see them. My cats must be getting more familiar with her because they got nose to nose a few times and tried to approach but the following was less intense. There are some lying down near each other and my more assertive cat gave way to her, she is obviously older than them, as they aren't even a year old yet.

I let her sleep in my room with the door closed. I didn't want her wandering the house at night or to worry about possible cat fight while I was sleeping, especially with a possibility of a pee issue. She slept in bed with me the whole time and no potty problem but she didn't use the cat box at all. So I put her outside this morning so she could do her business since she was inside for 9 hours. We are using Tidy Cat Breeze and I would have heard if she got in the box in my master bathroom. 

Not sure what to do about the cat box situation. I do have 1 normal hooded box and a little clay litter left. My daughter suggested last night I set it up just to be safe. I just switched my cats over to the Breeze full time and removed my regular boxes a week ago and don't want a set back, but I could put a clay box in the master bathroom only I guess if she is going to start staying her every night. 
I am glad that this kitty seems so happy to be with you - now my concern - is the neighbor's :dk:. Don't they even notice that their cat is missing - so sad. The right thiing to do IMO - is to go over and politely talk to them again about this kitty. Kindly tell them that since they don't want the cat inside anymore - because they say she pees on furniture - then ask if you could take in the cat and adopt her. I have a feeling they will just tell you to go ahead and take the cat. :cross: Would be the best thing for this kitty :nod:

Bless you, again, :D for caring so much. Hope this all works out :hugs::hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes

p.s. YES - as Mr.Jinx suggested - use the Cat Attract litter and no hooded box. Use a large open litter box and also set up two for her in the beginning just to be extra safe. Some kitties like to pee in one box and poop in another :lol3:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, she is sleeping in my garage still but not in the house. I let her in more after I last posted here and my kitties ( who aren't even a year old yet) want to be friends with her now but she doesn't want to be friends with them. And she doesn't want to let them near me when she is. Cooper tried lying near her and getting her to play but she just hissed at him and she was getting cranky with Jackson when he wanted to come on the bed with me and snuggle like he does every night before I go to sleep. I have to give my first priority to the kitties I have already. So I put her in the garage that night. Both my kittens were rescues and Jackson has a very sweet and timid soul. Cooper is the more outgoing of the two.

She has only tried to come in the house once or twice this week. One time Jackson and our German Shepherd ( who loves cats and is BFFs with Cooper especially) was by the door and she peered in and decided she would stay in the garage. The other time my daughter let her in her room for awhile. 

She has basically been sleeping in the garage and comes and goes as she wants, I've seen her outside and I'm sure she is spending time at her house, or at least in her yard. We pet her when we see her but she hasn't been dying to come in like she used to. I'm still willing to add her to our family but she has to get along with the animals I already have. Maybe she needs a more gradual transition, I don't know. With Cooper and Jackson, I had Coop for about a month when I got Jax and they saw each other, gave each other the evil eye, postured for about 2 minutes and have been BFFs ever since. 

I'm wondering if maybe she is would rather be in a one cat household and if maybe her peeing issue at her house was a territorial marking thing? I think they have another cat that is almost always in the house because I've seen another cat in their yard twice that is also a rag doll but it wouldn't come up to me or let me pet it. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, at least she knows she has someone who cares about her and offering her a place to sleep/eat. I am just curious as to what the owner's have to say about this kitty and maybe relinquishing her to you. Wouldn't hurt to go and ask since now she is spending so much time in your garage. She does deserve a home and if not your home, maybe one can be found for her so she doesn't have to live outside. I am sure she would do fine with other cat's - would just need proper introduction's. And the more time she spend's in your garage visiting and seeing your two young kitties, the more they will become at ease with one another. ARe you sure she is vaccinated and/or tested negative to FeLK/FIV..... Otherwise, be careful right now letting her too close to Cooper and Jackson. I am sure she is healthy and all is well, but I am always airing on the side of caution until I know for sure... Keep us posted :D and good luck :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

cat run

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's a great story, well done !

If she's still wary of coming into your house then maybe you could make her a place in your garage that she can bed down in and feel safe. We have made many homes for feral and re-adopted cats that have been used successfully. 

Good Luck.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She does have a bed in the garage and food and water. I've been sick since Christmas and was in bed with a fever ect for days and I'm just starting to feel better. My husband and daughter took care of her and saw her in the garage along with another cat that showed up with her one day. But the times I managed to go out there she was always gone. The weather has been a lot warmer the last few days and I haven't seen her at all myself. Haven't seen the neighbors either, but then I didn't leave the house for over a week so. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is lousy, being so sick :( . Glad you are feeling better :) :nod:. More good luck vibes for this cat and that things will keep going well for her :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update, she is ours!

We have been taking care of her still. Today my husband went and talked to the neighbor lady after seeing a for sale sign in their yard. He offered to take her in permanently, and the lady said yes. She is moving out due to divorce. I'm sorry about that, but thrilled she is officially ours now.

I haven't talked to, I had bad fall this week with ahead injury and messed my back up, so I'm barely getting around with a walker. Existing on pain meds. Sorry if this is shorthand, I'm typing one handed on iPad. I was just so happy that cried and had to come share the great news. My daughter groomed her last night, she has some mats, needs a bath and we flea treated her. It's been hard walking this line of caring for her but her not being mine and not wanting to over step.

I'll post back when I can, regarding transitioning her to inside only.