Cat only will drink out of my water glass

debbiegarland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat will only drink out of my water glasses.  And honestly I'm fine with it now.  But I was just wondering, as this is my first cat, is this a cat thing?  Do cats just prefer tall glasses to water bowls?  I actually kinda like it, its so cute haha :) Any guesses to why he does this? Also anyone else's cat do this? 

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats just prefer fresher water or they pick things up from watching their humans. One of my cats used to love to drink water from the faucet. I decided that he probably liked moving water and got a cat fountain.

I don't tend to drink water out of a glass because I like cold water and use a refillable bottle that I refrigerate. One of my husbands friends has a glass of water to drink all the time. When he visits my cats will drink out of his glass when it is sitting on the coffee table. He thinks it's cute that they want to share. The only problem is they spill it. He uses a plastic cup so it does not break.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats prefer tall containers like glasses to drink water from. It was one of the tricks I tried when I was trying to get my cat to drink water. They also often like water from a running source like a faucet or fountain and in a different location from their food. The running water appeals to them because running water in nature tends to be fresher, and water that's not where the food is is less likely to be contaminated. But I have no clue why the glass thing is appealing! 

(For me it turned out that my cat hates water in any way, shape, or form, so I gave up and just mix extra water in with her food instead.)

leoandlexi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's possible your kitty prefers fresher water or something taller to drink from. Mine were drinking out of any fresh water source including the toilet so I bought them a water fountain to drink from. They love it and no more toilet water lol!