Cat only peeing once a day

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does any one else have a cat that only pee’s once a day in the early hours of the morning? My cat Marcy will only pee at about 3am every morning lately, no straining, no crying in pain and the pee is normal colour so no uti or blockage. It’s just a pain her going at 3 am as she wakes me up to watch her go ( yeah she’s a weird cat who likes an audience haha)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How big are her 'pee balls' in the litter? If it is 'normal' like the size of a golf ball, no it is not normal. I would encourage more water and maybe lead her to the litter box so she has someone to watch her. Set several bowls of water around. They get curious, check them out, and then usually drink. A fountain might help too. Or set a full glass of water somewhere, tell her NOT to touch it and she would probably drink it....LOL You could call your vet and ask, I have one cat that goes only like twice a day and his amounts are enormous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She does quite big pees and has enough water, she eats wet and I even put a little water in with the wet food, she drinks from the water bowl a few times in the day (same as always so no change there) I’ve tried to lead her to the tray yesterday and today but she only went for a poo not a pee. She’s mostly has peed once a day, she sometimes pees twice but it’s mostly once it’s just normally in the day time not 3am haha. Marcy likes to stick to a schedule and she use to pee around 12-1pm so I’m guessing she woke up once at 3am and had to pee so that’s her new schedule? I just don’t know how to get her out of it haha

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if she has always done it, it must be normal for her.
Yeah, it's extremely hard to retrain a cat! You might start by leading her to the tray and giving her a treat if she goes, even poo, then not giving her a treat at 3 AM. You also might try not getting up to let her go in 15-30 increments and see if you can get her to go later in the morning. I got up for years at 4 AM for my job so all my cats will NEVER let me sleep in past that, even years later, they HAVE to eat! I don't mind really so I just get up at that time, that is when I get my reading and my computer time in, and it's nice to be outside by 6 am in the summer before it is hot.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Feeby (16+ yo), when she was younger, used to pee a huge amount only once a day and about the exact same time everyday. But, she did it mid-morning and could have cared less whether I was around to watch her!!! She also pooped at the same time.

I had no idea how 'easy' I had it with keeping the litter box clean until her once a day routine 'went down the tubes'.

Sorry, but I have no idea how I would have changed her schedule had I needed to. Her meals weren't always on schedule, so that doesn't seem to have made any bearing on when she chose to use the litter box.