Cat on the countertops

guaposmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently my little lady Bonita A.K.A. Bunny has taken to jumping up on the kitchen countertops and table. In all of the time I have had her she has never done this. She has always hang out on the end tables and the nightstand in my bedroom and I am not bothered by that but I have a different feeling about surfaces where food is prepared and eaten. It started about 2 weeks ago while I was preparing dinner she jumped up on the counter and started nosing around the food. I do not believe in ever hitting or yelling at cats so I just picked her up and put her back on the floor. So far that is all I have been doing because I am really not sure what else to do.Bunny will not relent and just jumps right back up again.Things just keep getting worse I can no longer prepare a meal without her jumping up to investigate.We sit down for dinner and she jumps right up on the table.Rather embarrassing when we have guests over.
Just for the record Bunny never has people food strictly her cat food and kitty treats.So I don't think its a food thing as she will never try to grab any food.
Do you think there is something I am missing as to why she has started doing this?
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
Please do not suggest any form of physical correction it makes me cringe.
This is my little Miss right before dinner prep tonight:

pinkeed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am having this exact same problem right now...

I've been using masking tape covering the entire countertop with some success (she just jumps on the corners, doesn't like the feeling and gets back down after a minute or so). I would like to completely solve the problem though.

I also tried vinegar, but it didn't seem to work as well.

Now I'm considering getting a sunbeam sensor egg or one of those bitter apple sprays, though I don't know if they will help.

She only learned of the countertop when we put a chair next to it one night and forgot it there (big mistake she went exploring and has been jumping there since).

Maybe they both just found a new spot to park their butt and try to get attention. ;)

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed them right before I prepare my meals...then they don't bother me while I'm cooking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

guaposmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pinkeed- LOL probably.My friend was over the other day for coffee and she jumped right up on the table next to her plate. I could feel me face go red as I apologized proclaiming she never did this before this is a new thing. I'm not sure she believed me as Bunny just sat there like it was nothing out of the ordinary,looking at us with her big owl eyes until I picked her up and put her down. Thankfully my friend is very chill and found it rather comical.

guaposmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed them right before I prepare my meals...then they don't bother me while I'm cooking.
Well that seems like a very simple solution I'm going to try it.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it might be possible that your bunny isn't getting all the nutrition her body needs. if a cat doesn't get everything his/her body needs (in nutrition) in his/her food, then kitty will feel pretty much constantly hungry. may i ask -- what food(s) are you serving bunny? dry or canned, or some of both? and what brand(s)?

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Creating a line of pyramids from plastic cups about 3" in from the edge of the counter (but not really seeable from the floor) worked for me. The cat jumped up, the plastic cups went flying, and so did the cat, creating momentary chaos. Also confession: I have a really messy and cluttered kitchen counter. The cat knows there's just not the space for a decent landing.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Creating a line of pyramids from plastic cups about 3" in from the edge of the counter (but not really seeable from the floor) worked for me. The cat jumped up, the plastic cups went flying, and so did the cat, creating momentary chaos. Also confession: I have a really messy and cluttered kitchen counter. The cat knows there's just not the space for a decent landing.
    Messy counters is very effective!  Just make sure it's all non breakable, no knives / scissors stuff and you're home. That and the initial deterent stuff using the sticky tape trick mentioned above (and in a TCS article about this behaviour ).

guaposmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello MicknSnicks -Thank you for your feedback.Knowing what a hot topic how and what to feed your cat can be I'd really rather not open that can of worms and keep that info to myself. I can assure you I have done my research and my cat receives appropriate nutrition served in the proper amount. I do understand that hunger/poor nutrition is a legitamate consideration but is not a factor in this situation.The only thing about food that crossed my mind was if she had grown curious about other possibilities such as human food.I really don't think that's it though because other than her cat food I have only ever been able to get her to try one treat.
Bunny is very vocal about food she talks the whole time I am preparing it and will always let me know she is hungry if she feels I am taking too long of a shower, have slept long enough,I don't need to use the rest room or finish doing my hair and make up.hahaha When she is hungry the whole world is going to know about it and she won't stop until she gets what she wants. I believe the countertop behavior would be marked by continuous meowing if it was a food issue.She has never tried to eat any of the food either just sniffs it.It's more like she just needs to see whats going on and wants to be right in the middle of it.Normally I don't mind that at all but I really don't favor the idea of finding cat hair in my food.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Re: seeing what's going on. That is really common and quite a few people on the site have posted pictures where they have set up little viewing spots for their cats, either on top of a fridge or cupboard or letting a medium high cat tree in the kitchen so that their cat can see without going on the work tops.  Mouse is nosy as anything.  He has zero interest in eating any food other than his regular TD kibble and fish snacks but he HAS to see what I am doing at all times.  I am in his house and he has to supervise to make sure I'm doing stuff right. 
  He does the same to everyone else that comes in too, and gets quite anxious if we do different things in different places and he's not sure who he should keep an eye on the most.  Beware, if there's no space on the counter, no other viewing spot available and your cat has to see what's happening then your shoulder is highly likely to be jumped on as the nearest suitable space.

guaposmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A look out is a great idea .My oldest son is quite handy and keeps wanting to built some shelving that goes up the wall with a open box at the top for the kitties to lounge in.I may just let him do it on the wall that faces the kitchen island.I just have to be sure and reign him in or he would turn the whole house into a kitty wonderland hahaha. I will keep you posted.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with seeing what's going on.  We have one cat in particular who loves to be where we are.  We have a counter/work table in the kitchen where we do most of our food prep that also has two tall bar stools so we let Ozzy sit on the stools to watch us cook.  He's not really interested in the food--our cats never get people food--he just wants to hang out with us.  Once in awhile he'll jump onto the counter but I'll point to the bar stool and say "Ozzy--chair!" and he'll go to the stool to sit.  Silly boy.  Maybe your kitty just want to "help" you cook!  

guaposmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perhaps your onto something .Maybe there's a gourmet cat chef desperately trying to get out and I am stopping her creative flow. Hahahaha

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
One thought on nosy kitties and kitchens: make sure your cat knows the cooker is a no-go zone. 
      They can't feel heat like we do and don't know when they are getting burned unless it is in their mouth.  Cats can get very serious burns and not know anything about it until the pain kicks in afterwards. ​

If she wants to help cook, keep her to the making up recipes and supervising your attempts at following her instructions!

kordron

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in an apartment building so my kitchen is small and my choices are limited on what I can do. Lily likes to get right up on top of the cabinets, if I can't find her that's where she is usually. I honestly think she feels safe up there sometimes because she is a skittish cat. She doesn't stay up long and I can get her down if I need to with a treat or her favourite toy.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello MicknSnicks -Thank you for your feedback.Knowing what a hot topic how and what to feed your cat can be I'd really rather not open that can of worms and keep that info to myself. I can assure you I have done my research and my cat receives appropriate nutrition served in the proper amount. I do understand that hunger/poor nutrition is a legitamate consideration but is not a factor in this situation.The only thing about food that crossed my mind was if she had grown curious about other possibilities such as human food.I really don't think that's it though because other than her cat food I have only ever been able to get her to try one treat.
Bunny is very vocal about food she talks the whole time I am preparing it and will always let me know she is hungry if she feels I am taking too long of a shower, have slept long enough,I don't need to use the rest room or finish doing my hair and make up.hahaha When she is hungry the whole world is going to know about it and she won't stop until she gets what she wants. I believe the countertop behavior would be marked by continuous meowing if it was a food issue.She has never tried to eat any of the food either just sniffs it.It's more like she just needs to see whats going on and wants to be right in the middle of it.Normally I don't mind that at all but I really don't favor the idea of finding cat hair in my food.
is there a window above the countertop? my cats have only ever been interested in getting up on the kitchen counters in order to get to the windows, so they could sit looking out the windows and smelling the fresh air.

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

We do the very same thing NYCats.

@GuaposMom   -- Most cats love to be in high places of course and kitchen counters are where many a great game of chase takes off inside our motorhome, much stalking of each other, birdwatching and dish drainer inspections
     With our older boy, we tried repeated "nos" then setting him on the floor, tried the foil, tried double stick tape - he could not have cared less. 

It became far less stressful - for all of us I might add - to give him, and now them, a wet meal. and assuming time was available even a short play session, before I'm ready to start preparing dinner for us.   By the time they are through grooming themselves after eating, I have my entire counter disinfected and ready to cook.  Both our boys like a nap after their wet meal so that has worked out just perfect .. meaning that we can actually sit down, relax and enjoy our own dinner without 2 sets of eyes peering at us from beneath the table. 

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too have thrown in the towel. They always win. I have strong willed felines. I keep a bucket, with a lid, of Lysol water that I use to constantly wash my counters with. I'm pussy whipped. Ha-Ha