cat on kitchen counter

mimismom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 1/2 year old spayed cat has just started the new habit of getting on my kitchen counters! I've had her since she was a kitten, and she has never gotten on the counters or table before. I don't know how to stop her. I can't even catch her doing it. When you are walking toward the kitchen, you can here her jump down and land on the floor. Then she runs and hinds....obviously knowing that she has done something she isn't allowed to do. Plus there are kitty footprints on the counters and things will be knocked down onto the floor that were previously out of her reach. We don't leave food out and I can't find any reason for her to suddenly be interested in getting on the counters or table. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am expecting a baby at the end of this month and I don't like the thought of cat germs all over my kitchen counters!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine jump on the counters because they go to look out the kitchen window.

After they've been up i spray and wipe over with an antibacterial spray which is harmless to them.

I've had many a vase knocked over and smash in the process which is why i don't get expensive ones.

gargoyle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've heard that you can scare cats off of exploring counter tops by taking some empty drink cans, putting a few pennies in each and then lining them along the edge of the counter. When kitty jumps up, the cans get knocked down and the racket scares the kitty but doesn't hurt her. Never had to do this myself but it would be worth a try.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Good luck keeping them down. I swear they know when you aren't looking and that's when they get up there.

I just always wipe the counters with anti-bacterial spray before preparing any food in the kitchen.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Prowler loves to jump on the counters so about three days ago, I started leaving those disposable aluminun trays you buy at the grocery store to cook meat in- with just a few inches of water inside and I lined the counter where she jumps. Well ten minutes later I hear a crash and thud and I go in and she had jumped, landed in the water, freaked out and jumped back to the floor, bringing the tray down on top of her. Now she stays completely away from the counter, and I have stopped putting the pans out

unicorn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All of my tribe of cats explore the counters and they don't even care if we see them do it or not. We run them off with a spray bottle of water but I'm sure they come back whenever it suits them. Mainly I think it is plain nosiness. Let me know if you find a method that works well. My best advice is to just wipe down your counters before you work at them to get rid of any germs the cat may track up there on his feet. Good luck with the effort, I hope it works.

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my male cat gets on the counters and I dont care. i make it a point not to keep food or drink out or anything they can be harmed by. I think over time if there isn't anything on the counter to eat or get into they tend to lose interest.
I recently mounted perches at 4 different windows about the house and now i notice he hardly gets on the counter anymore. More fun to look out the window.

evulienka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jakub jumps on the counter just to get on top of the fridge, there is about 20 cm of counter space where he would actually move, he doen't go any further, I have no idea why but I am pretty happy with his decisions

Although there was a time when he was fascinated with the sink...likes to rest there, probably cause it was cold...

imsoocute222

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mimismom

My 1 1/2 year old spayed cat has just started the new habit of getting on my kitchen counters! I've had her since she was a kitten, and she has never gotten on the counters or table before. I don't know how to stop her. I can't even catch her doing it. When you are walking toward the kitchen, you can here her jump down and land on the floor. Then she runs and hinds....obviously knowing that she has done something she isn't allowed to do. Plus there are kitty footprints on the counters and things will be knocked down onto the floor that were previously out of her reach. We don't leave food out and I can't find any reason for her to suddenly be interested in getting on the counters or table. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am expecting a baby at the end of this month and I don't like the thought of cat germs all over my kitchen counters!
have you tried to put empty cans along the edges ???
when she jumps up she will knock them down and the sound of them crashing is suposed to scare them so they won't want to jump up any more. let me know if you have any luck.

G

ghostuser

Someone had suggested lining the edge of the counter with Sticky Paws. It's to deter scratching, but jumping onto it has the same effect - the cat will stop doing it.

I also remember someone else suggesting getting one of those plastic mats that are used under computer chairs. Turn it over so it's spikey side up, and then, cut it into sections and line the top of the counter with it. It's uncomfortable for the cat to stand on, but won't actually harm the cat. If I remember correctly, the person said their cat jumped onto it once and never went on the counters again.

Personally, I let my cats anywhere they want to be. Counters, bathroom, bedroom. We have a lot of bad habits here, but we get enough "cat germs" through other means that it wasn't worth the fight to keep all four of them from going on the counter or table. Besides, the kitchen window is their fave spot, and they have to get on the counter to get to the window.

glowbugm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
one of my cats came to us old enuf to know some smart guidelines and he normally does not jump up on the counters, just stretches aalllll the way up during food prep time and pokes a paw as hi as he can (which is very high). the other one however is a pretty naughty baby and i have had to teach her to avoid the counter where i am currently preparing food by 1/repeatedly removing her and 2/ saying what a cranky old cat does "aaannhh annnhhhh annnhhh" to a young cat it doesn't want bothering it.

really, i was just trying to keep her out of what i am preparing. we actually feed her on one of the other counters (we have 3) to keep the dog out of it and because she likes to be high and to keep the other cat from bothering her too much. unfortunately now anything that happens on that counter is hers right!! even if it is for the dog. we don't do any human food there. actually her favorite post is up high on the refridgerator so she can look down and supervise every bit of food prep that is going on on the counter she is not supposed to be on, and she can comment the whole time (i am dying. feed me now. me. me. me. really, i am going to pass out.)

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no problem with counter jumping either...I just wipe it down before I make anything....I am lucky with mine that he doesn't jump up while I am preparing food or eating.

Funny/weird story: When I was very young, my family lived across a back lane from a "catwoman" who used to house anywhere from 30-40 cats (this is what it seemed like...she had so many anyway that there were forever at least 8 cats intertwining your legs, 10 patrolling the counters, 10 on the couch, another 10 sleeping on the beds, etc..
She was kind, the cats were fed and healthy (there were as many litterpans as foodbowls I think!)
Yes, it stunk in there.

She would often bring over a big pot of soup.which my mum would profusely thank her for, and then when she left, my mum would unceremoniously pour it down the toilet.. She always said she couldn't let us eat it knowing all the cat germs that were in it.
We always had to tell the woman later how good it was..

This post just reminded me of that...sorry for the rambling.

dmcwlvssr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used a thing called tattletale to keep the furrys off my water bed and i think you could use it on counters too it is a little thing that goes on by vibration and sends out a beep until all vibration is gone and resets itself for the next time it worked to keep them off the bed good luck finding the right thing to work for you

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Kitchen Counter is how my 6 cats make it up to my garden window above my sink. I cleared it recently, because they like to get in there and watch the outside world. It's empty now except for a few small plants. If not for my kitchen counters, they'd have no way up into this little spot.

My kitchen counter is also where I feed my 14 yr old, Snickers, while the other 5 kitties eat on the floor. If I didn't put him up there they'd attack his wonderful Hills food versus their Iams, and he'd not get his special diet.

So I'm a little biased. Plus, since I work during the day, lord only knows where else they go? My house is not cat proofed; it is a cat-house. I have 2 interior doors with holes cut at the bottom so my cats can get through to their litter boxes. I never make my bed because 5 of my 6 sleep with me, & sleep in the bed during the day.

I guess part of being a cat person / owned by a cat means, cats will get on your countertops, because that's where the action is. Food, etc. Tonight's project is stapling carpet remnants onto my sofa back for Hammie to scratch on.

I dunno what to suggest, except, you might want to just accept, your cat will be getting onto your countertops.

Before I prepare food (and I love to cook for us humans so I do this alot), I use Lysol lemon scented spray. And wipe it down with water & dry it off afterwards.

Not that much work considering all the love I get from my furbabies.

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I know my cat loves to jump on the counter, but she always jumps off if she hears me coming, so sometimes I catch her! I use antibcterial spray too. I have heard that a good preventative method is to put double sided tape on the counter, as it feels horrible for them to walk on.

cirque

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Everything sounds good so far.. the double sided "pet" tape sounds good.. the upside down plastic mats (like carpet runners or car mats) sound good. Myself I just tell the cat "No" and or give a "hiss" and put them down. Buddy is very smart and learned the second or third time I caught him sniffing around he wasn't supposed to be up there. I only wish he would learn other things I want him to as quickly.

I am not sure why so many people in this thread clean so much.. cat germs?! Cats are so clean, they could not possibly have germs!!
Don't you see them lick their butts then groom themselves? Now if a cat had germs do you think they would do that?! Germs.. how absurd! If your tuna salad sandwich has not had at least one cat paw in it, then it just isn't made right and surely can not taste "proper" either!!

mikenealis

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Prowler loves to jump on the counters so about three days ago, I started leaving those disposable aluminun trays you buy at the grocery store to cook meat in- with just a few inches of water inside and I lined the counter where she jumps. Well ten minutes later I hear a crash and thud and I go in and she had jumped, landed in the water, freaked out and jumped back to the floor, bringing the tray down on top of her. Now she stays completely away from the counter, and I have stopped putting the pans out
I am sooooo trying that when I get back to the States. Word on the street is that Bast has become quite the acrobat.

portdevoix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So far my kittens aren't interested in jumping on the kitchen counter. They like my dining table. Instead of trying to keep them off it, I just keep it clear of any stuff. I wipe it down with antibacterial spray and put down placemats and eating utensils when I eat, clearing them when I'm done. It's a small price to pay for harmony with my boyz.

winwin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This thread sorta reminds me of a story I heard as a boy:

One old lady at the well to another old lady at the well: "Heard you hit your husband with a stick of stovewood,"

2nd lady: "It's my husband and my stovewood, so what about it ?"

They're my cats and my counters, so what about it ?

I think we spend FAR too much time worrying what other think about what goes on in our homes.

As far as "cat germs" go, what doesn't kill me, makes me stronger.

Leonard.

niktemadur

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats likes to EAT on the kitchen counter.
However, I like to think that she enjoys dining on the mezzannine.

When it's my turn to eat or cook, I spray Windex on the tiles and wipe with a paper towel. And whenever a cat jumps to the counter when I'm using it, I use my full extended arm to gently, slowly sweep him/her...over the precipice.

After six years, I'm still fit as a fiddle.