Cat on chemo

Popsugar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was diagnosed with lymphoma intestinal type I have two other cats my vet said if I put him on the chemo I have to separate them because of the litter box I don’t know how to do that I’ve read some other post stating that would not be a problem if they share the litter box the drug that he would need to be on is chlorambucil If anyone had their cat on this chemo regimen if they could please share with me it would help me so much I really want to give my cat a chance also but I do not want to harm the others separating them would be miserable and impossible for all of them thank you for your help

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. My cat is on Chlorambucil. I work for a cat vet. I don’t keep her separate from my other cat. They share litter boxes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Popsugar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. My cat is on Chlorambucil. I work for a cat vet. I don’t keep her separate from my other cat. They share litter boxes.
I’m glad you told me that because the pharmaceutical company I got the medicine from said I had to do that my vet Agreed I’m going to told me that I’m gonna go ahead and put him on there I do have to use the clay litter because I’m allergic to the scoopable will that be a problem what type of litter do you use and how is your cat doing on that regimen thank you for responding it makes me feel so much better

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Leukeran/chlorambucil – IBDKitties

I have a cat on chlorambucil and was not told that there was any issue with other animals. However, I am not saying that I have the final word on that. It appears that the danger, which some see as a bigger issue than others do, is that chlorambucil is a chemotherapeutic drug and as such, you don't want your dog, for example, who eats cat poop to eat it and ingest the drug that way. Keep the litter box clean. I suppose theoretically that another cat could use the box and then lick a paw which might give a slight exposure to the drug and that is why the caution is given.

The info above from ibdkitties is quite good and you might want to read all of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Popsugar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m glad you told me that because the pharmaceutical company I got the medicine from said I had to do that my vet Agreed I’m going to told me that I’m gonna go ahead and put him on there I do have to use the clay litter because I’m allergic to the scoopable will that be a problem what type of litter do you use and how is your cat doing on that regimen thank you for responding it makes me feel so much better
Thank u this is really helping me