Cat on a Leash

saundby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Young toms are great, you can train them to do almost anything. The halter in these pictures looks really practical. I used to put my cat Phillip on a leash and he'd be fine until he decided he wanted out. Then he'd jump, squirm in the air, and he and the halter would come down separately--a regular Houdini.

The picture with the hug reminds me of Phillip, too. He used to hug me every day when I came home from work. He'd hop up on me as soon as I sat down, hook his paws over both shoulders and give me a good furry squeeze.

As to vacuuming the cat, I've had some cats that put up with it, others who won't. We used to have a dog we vacuumed, and Phillip (again) would get curious and watch, then let us do him. When he got older he wouldn't stand for it any more, though. At about 9 he'd hide out when the vacuum came out so we stopped doing it and relied on the brush. We've had two other cats that let us vacuum them, but again, only when they were young.

Thanks for posting the link to this photo set! I would have missed it on my own.

-Mark
http://catyarns.blogspot.com/

x0fantasy_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I wonder.. is it okay to have a cat on a leash when you wanna take it outside??

Everytime I ask someone that, they laugh at me.

If I knew, I wouldn't be asking hehehe.

Anyone know?

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by x0fantasy_

Hmmm, I wonder.. is it okay to have a cat on a leash when you wanna take it outside??

Anyone know?
People may laugh at you, likely because they are not cat people. People walk dogs all the time....I don't see what's wrong with walking a cat!

I've never actually seen anyone in my area walking a cat. We did have a lady who walked her ferret and would see her daily! I say if it's OK for a ferret, it's OK for a cat!

As for your question of whether it is OK to have a cat on a leash - of course (as long as your cat tolerates it)....but use a harness (never a collar) and don't leave him/her tied out unsupervised!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My abby named Frankie lives to be harnessed up and taken for rides in the truck. Every night he begs for his ride! He sits in the middle console and plays navigator! I do need to take photos and post them! We live in a small town and Frankie is getting well known.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We took Belle and Delilah outside for the first time last night on their harnesses (they've been getting used to them inside). I've never heard so much meowing in my life! They didn't like it too much at first but they eventually started exploring around the backyard. They didn't hesitate to run back into the house as soon as I opened the door, however.

I'm hoping with practice they get used to it and start to enjoy it!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by x0fantasy_

Anyone know?
Do these answer your question?

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be too afraid to walk my cats, they would freak out! Tiger's such a wimp although Angel may be a lot calmer. We had them out before during fire drills with Angel on the leash. She stayed between my legs, all bushed out and wide eyed!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sandra

What precious piccies of mister Jamie Tricia
!! I dont see anything wrong with lead walking a cat... I wish I had done that with my Patches
I've had a lot of experience with leash-training dogs, but Jamie was my first attempt at training a cat. Since then, I've worked with a couple of other cats, and for what it's worth, this has worked for me:
Get a kitten to accept a collar indoors, using play to distract her/him. Do it in small increments at first, i.e., 5 minutes at most.
Switch to a harness after a week or so of the kitten's accepting the collar, again using play as a distraction.
After a week, add a leash, again indoors, gradually spending more time with the kitten "hooked up".
Attach the harness and leash, and carry the kitten outdoors. Sit down on the lawn, with the kitten on your lap, and let him or her explore when that urge comes. This process might take several days.
Your kitten/cat won't "heel", so you'll have to. Make sure you have reading material/a cell phone with you, as you might end up standing in one place for 30 minutes or so while your cat "lurks" in the hope of catching a bird, mouse, butterfly, grasshopper, dragonfly, etc..

You can add excitement by picking up small branches and "running" them past your cat, digging for worms, or blowing catnip bubbles, etc..

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good advice, Tricia. Jamie looks very handsome in his leash.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emeraldsongbird,

Before we moved in August 2012, I had my Bella on a leash just outside for awhile and I don't see any problem with it. But otherwise, Thunder and Bella are indoor cats. 

dejolane