Cat Obsessed With Stealing Food

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the Purina the one with a lot of corn? We were feeding that for a while and one cat would binge eat like crazy. I don’t think cats process corn well and this food was not leaving him full or satiated. Can you find a kibble that has meat in the first few ingredients, and no corn at all?

Even better might be wet food if it’s in the budget/schedule. Kibble is calorie dense and might not satisfy the tummy like a bowl of wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mashpototo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the Purina the one with a lot of corn? We were feeding that for a while and one cat would binge eat like crazy. I don’t think cats process corn well and this food was not leaving him full or satiated. Can you find a kibble that has meat in the first few ingredients, and no corn at all?

Even better might be wet food if it’s in the budget/schedule. Kibble is calorie dense and might not satisfy the tummy like a bowl of wet food.
Yeah, I think I’ll do that. Do you have top brands you recommend?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed Dr Elsey’s Cleanprotein Chicken and Instinct LID Rabbit, but those are a little pricey. People also like Orijen, Tikicat kibbles because they are low carb.

We were feeding Natural Balance Green Pea and Chicken - the peas added a lot of carbs but Trin processed that very well compared to corn. He got very fat and would binge eat when we fed the Purina you are feeding, and when we switched to Natural Balance he naturally stopped binging and lost some excess weight. Were I to do it over again I would find a food with meat first, instead of peas.

Not sure what your price points are, but even the Purina One Cat Chow is much better. I recommend going to the pet food store and looking at the ingredients. Find one in your price range with the first five ingredients having as much meat as possible, and no corn, wheat or soy anywhere on the list. Hopefully that helps.

Last edited:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Luna used to be much worse with that. Then eventually she got a little better and only gets my leftover dishes that I leave sit out on the stove and don't put away soon enough. I used to have to just put her in another room.