Cat Obsessed With Stealing Food

mashpototo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I’m a new cat owner; I got my 2 year old kitty from a friend who found him outdoors (I know his age thanks to the vet’s predictions). He was formerly a stray, most likely abandoned because he is very amicable towards people and is neutered.

He is an absolute sweetheart, but i have one problem.

He is OBSESSED with scraps, and I don’t know how to control him!

While I cook or prepare food, he will jump on the counter and will try to stick his paw or attempt to eat whatever im cooking (dangerous)! I have to repeatedly put him down on the ground because he is insistent on jumping on the counter and licking stray pieces nearby and wants to inch closer to the food.

When I eat, I CANNOT leave the table unattended for even 10 seconds. I went to get a glass of water once and I caught him standing on my plate of food, clawing my rice!! With everything that falls on the ground (even with food against his biology, like carrots or veggies) he will not hesitate to lunge and devour it.

While I eat too, he will jump on the table and try to paw on whatever is on my plate. I have to grab him and place him on the floor every 10-15 seconds because he is very persistent, to a point where i have to keep him in the bathroom while i eat.

When I do make food I try my best to leave a heavy lid on pots/plates of food. But he’s learned to push them off.

I made a smoothie recently. I made the mistake of believing that my cat Maurice would not be interested in it... I had to throw it out completely because he was pawing the smoothie contents.

After any meal we have, any plate that goes into the sink, my cat jumps at the counter to lick at whatever residue, sauces, and chunks are left over.

If putting him down on the ground consistently ever 10-15 seconds sounds tedious enough he eventually resorts to lightly biting me or scratching me out of frustration when he does not get what he wants.

I’ve tried placing aluminum foil on counters to discourage him from jumping up and left it on for a week, but he doesn’t mind it! I’ve tried catnip on certain toys and places to distract him but he is unaffected by catnip.

Even having meals with him at the same time is futile! I put big servings in his cat bowl (it’s a miracle he is not obese). After his meal, he will immediately jump on the counter and begin to paw at my food.

I’ve tried changing his diet habits where I give him smaller meals sparsely scattered throughout the day but that too doesn’t work.

My mother has tried spraying him with water (he actively enjoys water) so that obviously didn’t work. Yes, negative enforcement is not the best option but we really don’t know what to do anymore; we avoid yelling and hitting him because that is what it is: unethical.

I’ve tried EVERYTHING at this point and I’m eager for him to learn that this isn’t allowed, nothing online helps either... I’ve asked friends with cats and from what they’ve seen he is an extreme case.

I had to throw away plenty of meals because of my hungry kitty, and at this point I need some perspective and advice. Help!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our cat is just like that, and we've been trying to get him to stop for five years. To make matters worse, he's got IBD and severe food allergies, so many of the things he steals make him very ill.

The only foolproof way of preventing him from stealing food is locking him in another room during food preparation and meals. We've also put child locks on kitchen cabinets and use plastic storage containers in the pantry (Mowgli will also eat uncooked pasta). Needless to say, we can't leave any food on counters or tables.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with jcat ... lock that adorable food thief in a room every time you are going to eat/prepare food...... until you can trust him to behave.

If you are going to feed him people food, then you can do what I did, because I'm an strict meanie ;) I always gave my cats people food on a cat dish/saucer on the ground AFTER we finished eating. Over the years I have relented and will give them a lick of cream cheese or butter off my finger while I'm eating. I do not reward them getting all over me while I'm eating. I reward them with treats when they sit quietly. Yes you can teach a cat to sit :) very easily :) I also used to leave a penny can on the counter (it was a small kitchen) Now I just clap my hands and say 'off' to the new cat (my boys know to NEVER get on the counter.) It just takes time, patience & consistency to train a cat.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
And congrats on being a new cat "parent". :petcat:

Your cat sounds like my Ruby when I first adopted her. She had also been a stray, and was coincidentally around 2 or 3 years old. And she too was OBSESSED with food.

In fact, it is very common for former stray cats to be food obsessed, and want to eat anything and everything they find, as they don't yet realize there will always be more food for them.

Ruby would lick her dish clean in one sitting, no matter how much food I gave her. And she was always jumping on the counter looking for food. Or trying to eat whatever I was having. And as I'm a vegetarian, there was rarely anything she'd really want. ;)

One time she actually ate a cupcake paper I inadvertently left on the counter for less than 5 minutes! I also had to throw out a can of kidney beans I had rinsed and left draining on the counter, when I came back into the kitchen and found her sniffing them.

Cooking was torture, as I was always afraid she'd jump on the stove. Or on the open oven door. So I had no choice but to put her in the basement when I was cooking and/or eating.

The good news is, most former stray cats will get over their food obsessiveness.

I think it was around 6 months after I adopted Ruby that I realized she had left food in her dish. I actually worried at first that she might be unwell. But when the habit continued, I realized she'd finally learned to nibble her food and save some for later.

So, be patient with your new boy. Hopefully, over time, he'll develop a normal food interest. Meanwhile, put him in another room when you're cooking or eating. As long as he has access to his litter box, he'll be fine. And safe.:catlove:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In fact, it is very common for former stray cats to be food obsessed, and want to eat anything and everything they find, as they don't yet realize there will always be more food for them.
:yeah:

Hi,

Even having meals with him at the same time is futile! I put big servings in his cat bowl (it’s a miracle he is not obese). After his meal, he will immediately jump on the counter and begin to paw at my food.
What brands of food are you feeding your cat? it may seem like a huge portion to you but calorie-wise it might not be enough for your cat. Are you feeding dry food or canned food? Some canned foods are very low in calories so you might give a whole 5.5 oz can and it's not enough calories for a cat. it's recommended to feed about 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. There are online charts that you can reference to find out calorie content in canned foods.

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the exact same problem with my two rescue cats. Smokey, the male is worse. His sister Pepe is always in the fridge! Just like you mentioned with your cat, Smokey will eat anything if I let him. I have to lock them out now when I cook or serve food. If I have a pot on the stove, I have to put more around it, or he jumps on the stove. He tries to steal food I am cutting up, they lick my utensils, and the sink. Pepe eats my dish cloths if they smell like food. It is SO frustrating! Glad it's not just me! I was wondering where I went wrong! They are ALWAYS hungry. They follow me around all the time just incase I have food.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that would do this as a kitten. He was not a stray and his brother did not do it. I trained him out of the habit by putting him in time out in my bathroom when I was preparing food or eating. It took about 4 months to break his bad habit. Once he learned to behave around people food he was allowed some people food as a treat but it was placed on the floor only. My current cats only get people food as a treat and they know it is only when the plate or bowl is placed on the floor.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very common with stray cats. Every one i have ever brought in was food obsessed for at least a few weeks, or months, i guess depending on how hungry they had been and for how long.

If you have not then schedule a vet visit. Parasites could be a problem. Feed him wet and dry if possible. High protein, moderate fat, and as low carb as possible. And honestly i would keep food out for him all the time right now at least. Give him some time to realize he does not need to worry about going hungry again. Most every one i have had eventually turns into a picky cat just like the rest, then im trying to sweet talk them into eating something :)

a few places to rate different foods.

http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond Mine are 3 now! Nothing has changed! Infact, they got much worse. I'm sitting having my coffee before I go to work. They won't take their eyes off me incase I have food.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond Mine are 3 now! Nothing has changed! Infact, they got much worse. I'm sitting having my coffee before I go to work. They won't take their eyes off me incase I have food.
Normally they get better, guess some stay hungry :) mine come check out what we are eating, but they dont want it, unless its rotisserie chicken, then they DO lol What do you feed your 3? Maybe up the protein, or the amount you feed, a bit and they may give you a bit of room with your own food? :catrub:

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did. And I give them a few small meals spread out through the day. I even cook for them sometimes. They eat a variety of food. But they still want more. Even things like chickpeas, lentils, and mushrooms! Smokey used to get in my cupboard and chew the metal lid off my olive oil, and try to drink it. I had to move everything.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did. And I give them a few small meals spread out through the day. I even cook for them sometimes. They eat a variety of food. But they still want more. Even things like chickpeas, lentils, and mushrooms! Smokey used to get in my cupboard and chew the metal lid off my olive oil, and try to drink it. I had to move everything.
I guess some cats just need more food? I dont know. How many calories are they getting each day?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats fear starvation ... a constantly full bowl of dry food helps. They remember going without.
Some cats freak out so badly when food is with held for a couple of hours they eat until they vomit ... like our semi-feral *SIGH*
Some cats just think they are human. I had a bottlebaby Sarah who ate broccoli, potatoes, tortilla chips, omelettes,cheese, butter bread, cheesecake, cream cheese frosting, ham. roses, she would sample your dinner or what you were cooking if it smelled good. Because of her I'm a counter tyrant, making sure all cats understand the counter is NOT the place for them to be ;)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond I haven't a clue, but my vet said I was feeding them the right amount.
im never one to go against a vet. but if my cats acted like they were hungry ALL the time, i would most likely feed them a bit more. Or try to figure out if i was feeding enough. Cats that i have had, or been around dont normally beg for food very often, unless it is the scheduled feeding time, or they are actually hungry, then they do :)

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond I did start feeding them more. Still the same. If I give them any more food, they will get fat! They are just greedy.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond I did start feeding them more. Still the same. If I give them any more food, they will get fat! They are just greedy.
I dont know your cats, how many calories, or what you are feeding them. So all i can say is i have never really know a "greedy" cat :dunno: Dogs yes, cats no. All cats are different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mashpototo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:yeah:

What brands of food are you feeding your cat? it may seem like a huge portion to you but calorie-wise it might not be enough for your cat. Are you feeding dry food or canned food? Some canned foods are very low in calories so you might give a whole 5.5 oz can and it's not enough calories for a cat. it's recommended to feed about 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. There are online charts that you can reference to find out calorie content in canned foods.
Hey! sorry for the late response!

Usually I feed him at least 4 handfuls of dry Purina Cat Chow Indoor food a day, the last handful usually mixed with Natural Balance salmon and pea wet food.